Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I've made all of the recommendations as suggested by @RehabMan . Still no working laptop on plug/unplug charger, but just wanted to double check all the proposed recommendations, including the USB fixes, are working ok?

Attachments

• Rehabman_Recommendations.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 66
Motherboard
N/A20
CPU
i7-7500u
Graphics
HD 6
Hey existing users! Is sleep working as it supposed to be? No crashes or bugs? It is kinda buggy with my current system and I just ordered a 9360 so just curious!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel i5 3570K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 650ti Boost
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Wrong fix.
Correct:
Code:
If (LEqual (PM6H, One))
{
    CreateBitField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0C._RW, ECRW)  // _RW_: Read-Write Status
    Store (Zero, ECRW)
}
If (PM0H)
{
    CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0D._LEN, F0LN)  // _LEN: Length
    Store (Zero, F0LN)
}

It is probably a bad idea to provide patched ACPI. People will believe they can take the lazy way and use your ACPI files...

@RehabMan
I'm having a problem with this particular error fix I'm trying to change it keep reversing itself back to the way it was before I made the change. Here 's how I do it and this is my own DSDT.dsl.
1. I open DSDT.dsl file with MacIASL v. 1.31 with ACPI 6.1
2. Compile it with 3 errors.
3. I fix the errors as you suggested above and other fix as @bosma88 recommended.
4. Compiled with no error.
5. Save As > ACPI Machine Language Binary, put .aml extension to DSDT file and save.
6. Open DSDT.aml file that I just made change and save to make sure they are as they should be. Every changes that I made are fine the way they should be accept the fix above that you corrected somehow it reversed itself back to the way it was before I make the change. I try to make that change so many times and the result are the same it reverse itself back every time.
Any idea?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've made all of the recommendations as suggested by @RehabMan . Still no working laptop on plug/unplug charger, but just wanted to double check all the proposed recommendations, including the USB fixes, are working ok?

USB fixes are wrong. SSDT-UIAC-ALL-a2af.aml is for 200-series (and you didn't customize it for your ports anyway). As a result, USB3 is not working at all.
See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

LittleSnitch is still installed. Avoid 3rd party system software until your system is stable.

Kexts are still not installed correctly. Kext injection is only for installer/recovery...

Also, no need for these patches in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches:
change XHC1 to XHC
change XHCI to XHC
change EHC2 to EH02
change EHC1 to EH01

I would suggest simulating Windows instead of Linux (best way is to use _OSI->XOSI patch and SSDT-XOSI.aml).

I couldn't compare ACPI/origin/DSDT.aml with ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml because origin/DSDT.aml is not native (it is patched). Next time, please provide "Problem Reporting" files as requested.

All that said, it is looking more and more like there is a memory map issue, and using Clover legacy may be the best way to solve it until another solution is found. But still good to eliminate all other problems prior to that...

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
6. Open DSDT.aml file that I just made change and save to make sure they are as they should be. Every changes that I made are fine the way they should be accept the fix above that you corrected somehow it reversed itself back to the way it was before I make the change. I try to make that change so many times and the result are the same it reverse itself back every time.
Any idea?

It is not changing. The problem is in the iasl disassembler, not your DSDT.aml.

jkbuha, have you tried going back to Windows? I'm getting similar behavior in Windows 10 now, where if the laptop is on battery power it just freezes. Fresh install helped until I installed the Intel HD 620 drivers, upon which the behavior came right back. I even tried reflashing 1.3.2 BIOS, and using setup_var to revert back to 32MB DVMT, all with no luck. I'm at wit's end at this point...

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
jkbuha, have you tried going back to Windows? I'm getting similar behavior in Windows 10 now, where if the laptop is on battery power it just freezes. Fresh install helped until I installed the Intel HD 620 drivers, upon which the behavior came right back. I even tried reflashing 1.3.2 BIOS, and using setup_var to revert back to 32MB DVMT, all with no luck. I'm at wit's end at this point...

I was worried about this, but I've continued to test this on Windows and it works fine.

I don't have the 9360 at the moment and will try and do it this evening, but in the meantime if you do (and have time) could you try the following:

- As @RehabMan said, could you remove the back of the laptop, unplug the battery cable and press the power button for 30 secs? That should clear EC and restore it to factory settings.

- @bozma88 has pointed out a good link to the graphics control panel option in Windows and disabling panel self refresh.

Motherboard
MSI Z170 Gaming M7
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
R9 Fury X
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just installed MacOS Sierra :) After booting the first time and disabling hibernation i tried charing the laptop->freeze
I have a QHD, i7, 16gb 512gb model.
now i will continue with the guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
That's very, very unfortunate.
In the next days I will try to replicate the issue by doing a clean install myself.
-> Maybe the fault is a new hardware revision?
-> Maybe a new motherboard revision?
-> Maybe the QHD screen?