Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550u
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Hey guys, does anyone use external Display with 4k@60hz? it won't work for me.... i'll get a flickering green screen if i switch to 60 Hertz. I tried with Linux and Windows and 4k 60hz work well for both.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
I7-7550U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I'm working on a 9360 that I just picked up, can't get the USB drive to get to the installer; trying for OC 0.6.6 and Big Sur 11.2.

Here's the CPU/GPU:

CPU: i7-7660U (Kaby Lake)
GPU: Intel Iris Plus 640
Screen: QHD+ (3200x1800)
Configured with SMBIOS for a MacBook Pro 14,1

Thankfully this isn't my first hackintosh, I have desktop running OC 0.6.5 that works really well, been on OC since 0.5.6.

For this XPS 13 I followed the Dortania guide for Opencore 0.6.6 very closely. My suspicion is that the framebuffer failing and causing a hang. Here are the settings I have and the output.

Last line shows
MacBook-Pro.local com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.displaypolicyd.##) <Warning>:Service exited with abnormal code 1

I've tried a few other platform IDs but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I really appreciate it!
The guide on Dortania have some typos, so following it perfectly may result in a non-working hackintosh. When I switched to OpenCore I found that there wes something wrong on some documents. Have a look at this post of mine and see if that can help!

Motherboard
P877-V
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The guide on Dortania have some typos, so following it perfectly may result in a non-working hackintosh. When I switched to OpenCore I found that there wes something wrong on some documents. Have a look at this post of mine and see if that can help!
Thanks so much for this, this was so helpful!!! at it provided me with the correct device-id and AAPL,ig-platform-id etc. Which basically got me past the Language Selection screen.

Now I'm trying to get wake from sleep using usb keyboard working :crazy:

Thanks again!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, just bought a used Dell XPS 13 i7-7550U FHD with fresh copy of Windows 10

In Pre-planning Fase to make a little mobile music production Hackintosh on it :

As this guide based on OSX Sierra 10.12.xx ( is OK but less & less supported for new audio software)
I would like to install a Dual boot Windows & MAC OSX any newer versions High Sierra , Mojave , Catalina ( Big Sur is to new and less supported for Audio Soft)

Browsing trough this 343 pages tread for 3 days now -
I am confused what guide/s repos EFI folder , NVMe sector size,
to swap built in Toshiba NVMe or not, etc , ect, etc
.. scratching my head ;)

Question :
Anyone could direct me to a guide to use for High Sierra or Mojave maybe Catalina on XPS 13 9360 FHD ?

thanks in advance

P.S. please bare with me its I only made one "easy" hackintosh to this date - HP 6300 SFF with High Sierra and its been 2 years since , so I am out of loop ;)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Hi, just bought a used Dell XPS 13 i7-7550U FHD with fresh copy of Windows 10

In Pre-planning Fase to make a little mobile music production Hackintosh on it :

As this guide based on OSX Sierra 10.12.xx ( is OK but less & less supported for new audio software)
I would like to install a Dual boot Windows & MAC OSX any newer versions High Sierra , Mojave , Catalina ( Big Sur is to new and less supported for Audio Soft)

Browsing trough this 343 pages tread for 3 days now -
I am confused what guide/s repos EFI folder , NVMe sector size,
to swap built in Toshiba NVMe or not, etc , ect, etc
.. scratching my head ;)

Question :
Anyone could direct me to a guide to use for High Sierra or Mojave maybe Catalina on XPS 13 9360 FHD ?

thanks in advance

P.S. please bare with me its I only made one "easy" hackintosh to this date - HP 6300 SFF with High Sierra and its been 2 years since , so I am out of loop ;)

Hi hi,

good to see somebody is still interest in this device. Mine runs flawlessly since two years, can only recommend to do it!
A good EFI for your system would be the one from theQuert, which was recently updated to Big Sur. There are also explanations on what to do after install and what to set in the BIOS.

You also need another CPUFriend file, I think this repo has one that fits your processor.

I actually still use the files from the darkvoid, so they also will work with Big Sur.

A good installation guide was made by Mark Perez.

Last but not least, this could be a valid way of achieving dual boot on your machine (works great on mine)

I think all installation guides still refer to Clover as the boot loader, but I would highly recommend you to use OpenCore. The installation is virtually the same and the system works better in some part with it in comparison to Clover.

Good luck!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi hi,

good to see somebody is still interest in this device. Mine runs flawlessly since two years, can only recommend to do it!
A good EFI for your system would be the one from theQuert, which was recently updated to Big Sur. There are also explanations on what to do after install and what to set in the BIOS.

You also need another CPUFriend file, I think this repo has one that fits your processor.

I actually still use the files from the darkvoid, so they also will work with Big Sur.

A good installation guide was made by Mark Perez.

Last but not least, this could be a valid way of achieving dual boot on your machine (works great on mine)

I think all installation guides still refer to Clover as the boot loader, but I would highly recommend you to use OpenCore. The installation is virtually the same and the system works better in some part with it in comparison to Clover.

Good luck!
@Richylitschy , hanks a lot for taking your time to put me into the right direction!
never used Open Core before ... got some reading to do !
Peace & Jazz!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My suggestion was to use a SATA M.2 SSD instead of the NVMe M.2.
I am trying to decide what brand/model of SATA M.2 SSD to get for best battery life , power management & stability.
Would any SATA M.2 work
or are there specific preferable choices like for example WD Blue Nand , that is currently available on the market ?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi again , I am back with an update :

After week of reading an opencore Dortania guide I've realized
that I would better to try Clover method first as its more suited for complete beginners like me ;)

I've managed to install Mojave on my Dell XPS 13 6390 FHD 8gb i5 7200u on the 1st go!
following a Clover vanilla guide from Mark Perez on youtube that utilizes DarkVoid GitHub repo.
as of now I am using TP-Link WN725N Usb dongle with Mojave driver for wifi that works while I am waiting for the DW1650 to arrive.
I've swapped the Toshiba nvme drive with DW Blue 1tb SATA M.2 drive - that is 512b sectors
(couldn't convert it to 4k sectors using Linux usb.. it didn't work for some reason)

Issues :

Sound and brightness control worked out of the box right after initial install from the USB - Great!
at that stage th about this Mac was showing MacBook Pro ( no model ) i7 processor ( I have i5 7200U ??)
and 16gb memory .. while have 8 installed - Weird ?

But after I followed the steps in the Video guide to Post Install 3 additional kexts from the
DarkVoid extra kexts into Library/Extentions And CHMOD Extensions folder with following commands from the guide

sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

CodecCommander.kext

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext

The Sound was gone completely and brightness buttons controls were gone to :(
The about this Mac shows MacBook Pro 2017 i5 8gig memory now

i have tried to delete those 3 kexts , but it hasn’t change anything - no sound , no brightness

Clover boot loader revision 5117 ( remote available revision 5139 should I update?)

I haven't done any post configurations with Clover configuration yet.... should I ?

What am I doing wrong , what broke my sound and brightness?

sorry for newbe questions and thanks in advance for any ideas

Attachments

• EFI kexts.png
    EFI kexts.png
    96 KB · Views: 4
  • EFI BIOS .png
    EFI BIOS .png
    132.6 KB · Views: 5
  • EFI drivers.png
    EFI drivers.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
  • AboutMyMAc.png
    AboutMyMAc.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 4
  • CLOVER.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi again , I am back with an update :

After week of reading an opencore Dortania guide I've realized
that I would better to try Clover method first as its more suited for complete beginners like me ;)

I've managed to install Mojave on my Dell XPS 13 6390 FHD 8gb i5 7200u on the 1st go!
following a Clover vanilla guide from Mark Perez on youtube that utilizes DarkVoid GitHub repo.
as of now I am using TP-Link WN725N Usb dongle with Mojave driver for wifi that works while I am waiting for the DW1650 to arrive.
I've swapped the Toshiba nvme drive with DW Blue 1tb SATA M.2 drive - that is 512b sectors
(couldn't convert it to 4k sectors using Linux usb.. it didn't work for some reason)

Issues :

Sound and brightness control worked out of the box right after initial install from the USB - Great!
at that stage th about this Mac was showing MacBook Pro ( no model ) i7 processor ( I have i5 7200U ??)
and 16gb memory .. while have 8 installed - Weird ?

But after I followed the steps in the Video guide to Post Install 3 additional kexts from the
DarkVoid extra kexts into Library/Extentions And CHMOD Extensions folder with following commands from the guide

BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

CodecCommander.kext

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext

The Sound was gone completely and brightness buttons controls were gone to :(
The about this Mac shows MacBook Pro 2017 i5 8gig memory now

i have tried to delete those 3 kexts , but it hasn’t change anything - no sound , no brightness

Clover boot loader revision 5117 ( remote available revision 5139 should I update?)

I haven't done any post configurations with Clover configuration yet.... should I ?

What am I doing wrong , what broke my sound and brightness?

sorry for newbe questions and thanks in advance for any ideas
better to upload your zipped clover folder