Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and GB Scores:

My original config:
IMG_8495.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8496.jpeg
    IMG_8496.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8498.jpeg
    IMG_8498.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8500.jpeg
    IMG_8500.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8501.jpeg
    IMG_8501.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 57
This all looks amazing! Only thing I immediately see is via IPG, Core Min does not reach 0.7 as it did before:

View attachment 497731

Yes, that's an intended design. I configured the min clock speed to be to 1200 instead of 700. Slightly higher battery consumption but better performance.

If you prefer a lower CPU floor, you can easily re-configure it using one-key-cpufriend.

Also sidenote, I've been experimenting with MBP16,3 but have had issues with patching the GPU framebuffer (as the card is an Iris 645). Hopefully will find a working combination soon and post an update...

...then with your config:

IMG_8504.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8506.jpeg
    IMG_8506.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8507.jpeg
    IMG_8507.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8508.jpeg
    IMG_8508.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 63
Yes, that's an intended design. I configured the min clock speed to be to 1200 instead of 700. Slightly higher battery consumption but better performance.

If you prefer a lower CPU floor, you can easily re-configure it using one-key-cpufriend.

Also sidenote, I've been experimenting with MBP16,3 but have had issues with patching the GPU framebuffer (as the card is an Iris 645). Hopefully will find a working combination soon and post an update...
Excellent work. Thank you!

Also, one-key-cpufriend now supports the MBP16,3 board-id.

Never seen this on Big Sur. Boot to recovery, see if you get the same freeze. If you're good, try and repair the disk.

If symptoms still persist, you've probably got the wrong CPUFriend setup. Remove it (or try using my setup a few posts back without cpufriend) and see if you get any different results.
I tried and I can boot in Recovery without any issue with my EFI and with yours. I proceeded repairing the disk. If I try to boot with your EFI as-is I experience the same problem. I've tried deleting the 2 CPUFriend kexts and i removed the entries under Kernel->add in config.plist, but the problem persist. I even tried turning DummyCpuPowerManagement on, still nothing changed. Do I need to change anything else in the config.plist in order not to use custom power management?

I tried looking in /Library/Log/DiagnosticReport but there's nothing there.
I also noticed that both in the configuration screen and in recovery the pop-up windows animate in a laggy way, so maybe graphical acceleration is broken? Weird thing is that i have no problem whatsoever in Recovery

Right on cue. Here's the optimised configuration for 8550U 16GB QHD+ with NVMe drives.

For additional optimisation, change these UEFI parameters - but note that you will need to fine-tune these to suit your own specific CPU variant, as well as your current cooling strategy.

Code:
Optimised Configuration for i7-8550u

DTS SMM Enabled 0x64C -> 0x01
TCC Activation offset 0x51D -> 0x10
Disable prochot output 0x519-> 0x01
Disable VR thermal alert 0x51a-> 0x01
Critical Trip Point 0x2b2 -> 0x77
Active Trip Point 0 (87C) 0x2AE -> 0x57
Active Trip Point 1 (71C) 0x2AD -> 0x47
Passive Trip Point (103) 0x2B1 -> 0x67

Package power limit unlock 0x4CB -> 0x00
Long Term Power Limit Override 0x4B6 -> 0x01
Long Term Power Limit - 0x4B2/3/4/5  -> 0xFF
Long Term Time Window 0x4B7 -> 0x80
VR Current value lock 0x5f9/B/D/F  -> 0xFF
Config TDP lock 0x4E0 -> 0x01
CTDP Bios Conrol 0x4E1 -> 0x01
Turbo Performance Boot 0x4AE -> 0x02
Configurable TDP Level : TDP UP 0x4df -> 0x02

Please report back with performance scores.

Enjoy :)

Hi jkbuha.​

This for xps 9360 i5 7300U, QHD ? . Thanks

Never seen this on Big Sur. Boot to recovery, see if you get the same freeze. If you're good, try and repair the disk.

If symptoms still persist, you've probably got the wrong CPUFriend setup. Remove it (or try using my setup a few posts back without cpufriend) and see if you get any different results.
I solved it, mainly thanks to another forum user. My main problem was the iGPU configuration. I changed AAPL,ig-platformid value and the device-id in order to match the Intel Iris Plus 640 and it worked! This table is not for some reason listed in the main guide and the values reported for Kaby Lake I was using was not correct.

I solved it, mainly thanks to another forum user. My main problem was the iGPU configuration. I changed AAPL,ig-platformid value and the device-id in order to match the Intel Iris Plus 640 and it worked! This table is not for some reason listed in the main guide and the values reported for Kaby Lake I was using was not correct.

That page is full of bugs, unfortunately. For example the device-id for UHD620 is incorrectly swapped resulting in the 8550u series not being able to work with that config. Took me ages to figure out that one...

That page is full of bugs, unfortunately. For example the device-id for UHD620 is incorrectly swapped resulting in the 8550u series not being able to work with that config. Took me ages to figure out that one...
Yep, OC documentation is way better than Clover's, but still quite a mess sometimes. Btw, as I can't find any reference, did you manage to get Handoff working? Mine kinda works, meaning that sometimes it does what it should, but most of the times it fails (ex. Safari showing in the dock but then not loading any page). I can't find guides on this topic

EDIT: trying with ExtendBTFeatureFlags TRUE, even if documentation on the functionality provided is poor. It seemed to have solved some problem (mainly safari) but some other functionalities still are not reliable (Apple Watch unlock only worked for an hour 2 days ago...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back