Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Asrock X299 Creator
CPU
i9 10900X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Yes The sound is clipped .... but only the Loud parts ➧ thus the feeling the sound adds to itself and so it naturally clipped

I haven't got any Windows installed to test .... good point
Thanks
I have changed the device id from 13 to 56. it seems better but still not perfect.
may be speakers are damaged:roll2:
what is your device-id for the AUDIO ?
Thanks

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Good question - I'm not even sure which kexts set device or layout-id anymore to be honest...

This is from my SSDT

Code:
                "layout-id",
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                },

Motherboard
DELL Inspiron 7370
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello @jkbuha, I would like to ask what is the variable name for GPU Voltage Offset? I have a different laptop that I would like to undervolt but not sure whether it is
Code:
GT Voltage Offset
or not.

Thanks,
twsps

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello @jkbuha, I would like to ask what is the variable name for GPU Voltage Offset? I have a different laptop that I would like to undervolt but not sure whether it is
Code:
GT Voltage Offset
or not.

Thanks,
twsps

If it's a Dell BIOS (which it sounds like it is) then yes - it's the GT Voltage Offset.

You should be able to amend some/any of the following:

Code:
Processor, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Memory, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
GT, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Uncore, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)

Motherboard
DELL Inspiron 7370
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
If it's a Dell BIOS (which it sounds like it is) then yes - it's the GT Voltage Offset.

You should be able to amend some/any of the following:

Code:
Processor, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Memory, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
GT, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Uncore, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Thanks for the tip. I have also noticed that I found two variables for overclock variables "Overclocking Lock" and "Overclocking Feature". Currently I have enabled "Overclocking Feature" and undervolting is working, what about the "Overclocking Lock"? What does it do specifically?

Thanks,
twsps

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Thanks for the tip. I have also noticed that I found two variables for overclock variables "Overclocking Lock" and "Overclocking Feature". Currently I have enabled "Overclocking Feature" and undervolting is working, what about the "Overclocking Lock"? What does it do specifically?

Thanks,
twsps

I had actually written all the necessary parameters up in the first post, which are still applicable and working.

For ease of reference:

Code:
UEFI IFR

TESTED & WORKING
=======
*Undervolt CPU
(0x653) -> 32 (-0.05V)
(0x655) -> 01

*Undervolt GPU
(0x85A) -> 32 (-0.05V)
(0x85C) -> 01

*Overclock, CFG lock disable, WDT & XTU enable
(0x4DE) -> 00
(0x64D) -> 01
(0x64E) -> 01

*DVMT patch
(0x785) -> 06
(0x786) -> 03

*Ring Max OC Ratio
(0x659) -> 0x24

FLASH/REGISTER PROTECTION DISABLE
========

BIOS Guard Support 0xF56 -> 00 (disabled)
OC Lock 0x58d -> 00 (disabled)
Unlock PCH P2SB, Variable: 0xE8E -> 01 (enabled)
Flash Protection Range Registers (FPRR), Variable: 0xE8F -> 00 (disabled)
PMC READ DISABLE, Variable: 0x884 -> 00 (disabled)

MEMORY OVERCLOCK ENABLE
==========

SPD Write Disable, Variable: 0xE8D -> 00 (FALSE)

NEEDS MORE RESEARCH
=========

Max GT frequency,
(0x6EF) -> 0x18 (1200MHz). Still locks to 1050Mhz

1-Core Ratio Limit Override
0x588 ->0x25 (x37). Still locks to 35
2-Core Ratio Limit Override
0x589 -> 0x24 (x36). Still locks to 35

Motherboard
Dell XPS13 9360 - Clover
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys, I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and nearly everything seems to work. I am having only 2/3 issue:
- screen brightness is at 100% and I can't change it at all (not even visible in the system pref pane), while it was working (even with fn buttons) with mojave
- audio jack not working (not sure if was working on mojave, but I don't use it at all so I don't really care about this)
- audio from speaker is low, and was low with mojave too, but this one is weird: I have layout 11 (flag injected with clover at boot) and I tried using combojack "fix" from the-darkvoid repo and it fixed everything (both jack was working and volume was high and clear), but after a reboot it's broken again. Running combojack fix again does nothing.

Am I the only one encountering these issue? I don't care about audio issues to be honest, but 100% brightness is killing my battery :(

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Hi guys, I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and nearly everything seems to work. I am having only 2/3 issue:
- screen brightness is at 100% and I can't change it at all (not even visible in the system pref pane), while it was working (even with fn buttons) with mojave
- audio jack not working (not sure if was working on mojave, but I don't use it at all so I don't really care about this)
- audio from speaker is low, and was low with mojave too, but this one is weird: I have layout 11 (flag injected with clover at boot) and I tried using combojack "fix" from the-darkvoid repo and it fixed everything (both jack was working and volume was high and clear), but after a reboot it's broken again. Running combojack fix again does nothing.

Am I the only one encountering these issue? I don't care about audio issues to be honest, but 100% brightness is killing my battery :(

I would check and update all kexts. Brightness issue could be because of outdated WhateverGreen.kext.
Audio could be fixed with new AppleALC kext, I use layout id 13 since Catalina, seems to work better.

Motherboard
Dell XPS13 9360 - Clover
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I would check and update all kexts. Brightness issue could be because of outdated WhateverGreen.kext.
Audio could be fixed with new AppleALC kext, I use layout id 13 since Catalina, seems to work better.
I have WhateverGreen 1.4.0 and AppleALC 1.5.0.
Those should be latest versions, but right now github is down so I can't check.
I will try using layout id 13, thanks! Are you using only kext + layout id 13 or you're using also ComboJack?

PS: I have added AppleBacklightFixup.kext and now brightness works, but no one uses this kext on this machine so I don't like a lot this solution :/

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Just transitioned to OpenCore! Took me a few hours, but now everything is working super stable, even faster than with clover. Updating MacOS is a breeze as well. Find my OC EFI attached to this post. Two things to notice:

- this is for i5-7200u only!
- I deleted my serial number, board ID etc. from the config.plist. You have to edit it with your own

Attachments

• OC-XPS9360-i57200u.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 45