Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Thanks everyone for the help and support so far, I do have a working system just trying to squeeze a little more out of it..

@maxchen @Richylitschy @Coletz What it your watt consumption when idle ? I have try the latest darkvoid repo and Richylitschy config too... but at best I reach 1.70W

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
pkg at 0.7W. You need to use the USB-C fix from the dark void repo on GitHub. This is also in my EFI, so if you used my whole EFI without updating anything, you should have the same draw. Btw turn off your touchscreen and the sd card reader in BIOS, it saves you a little bit and it may be the culprit.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
pkg at 0.7W. You need to use the USB-C fix from the dark void repo on GitHub. This is also in my EFI, so if you used my whole EFI without updating anything, you should have the same draw. Btw turn off your touchscreen and the sd card reader in BIOS, it saves you a little bit and it may be the culprit.
0.7W would be lovely. I have used your EFI indeed and also have tried darkvoid but I don't go lower than that. I have a FHD screen without touch and SD card reader has been disabled.

Could it be my NVME(Hynix) Also I still have the killer wifi installed.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
0.7W would be lovely. I have used your EFI indeed and also have tried darkvoid but I don't go lower than that. I have a FHD screen without touch and SD card reader has been disabled.

Could it be my NVME(Hynix) Also I still have the killer wifi installed.
Do I need to copy the CPUFriend kexts in SLE as well ? I read it this somewhere but I guess all should be in the EFI folder...

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Try this clover folder. Should be ready to go, just copy it to your efi. It is an older clover version tho, but for testing it should be enough.
This is the clover folder I've used btw. BIOS settings as per guide. I'm on BIOS 2.10

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
ah that’s not the right one, its for an i7. Here you go, its my current one.

thanks!! I'll try tomorrow. to be honest with different settings and other CLOVER packages I found for 9360 I get similar results. I suspect it's the NVME not being power managed. Can I ask what NVME do you have or if you have swapped it for a M2 SSD instead ?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360-Clover
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD620, 1920x1080
DELETED

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
thanks!! I'll try tomorrow. to be honest with different settings and other CLOVER packages I found for 9360 I get similar results. I suspect it's the NVME not being power managed. Can I ask what NVME do you have or if you have swapped it for a M2 SSD instead ?

So basically I've tried different packages and EFI folders from different people on GitHub, I now have stuck with yours.. Power is always hovering around the 1.8-2W mark regardless of the settings. I have lost patience and pulled the NVME out, booted from an external USB drive and power is at around 0.6W....so it must be the NVME not being power managed as other have reported.... but two questions:

- What NVME do you have @Richylitschy ? I have the PC300 NVMe SK hynix 256GB

- On my ex XPS 9343 with a Samsung PM851 I didn't have the issue.... I guess it was an SSD and not an NVME ? I was all the time at around 0.7W when idle.

Attachments

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
So basically I've tried different packages and EFI folders from different people on GitHub, I now have stuck with yours.. Power is always hovering around the 1.8-2W mark regardless of the settings. I have lost patience and pulled the NVME out, booted from an external USB drive and power is at around 0.6W....so it must be the NVME not being power managed as other have reported.... but two questions:

- What NVME do you have @Richylitschy ? I have the PC300 NVMe SK hynix 256GB

- On my ex XPS 9343 with a Samsung PM851 I didn't have the issue.... I guess it was an SSD and not an NVME ? I was all the time at around 0.7W when idle.
Did you format your NVME right? Did you enable TRIM and SSD power management?

I run a M2 SSD, so can’t comment on this topic. Skip through this thread, there is a lot of valuable stuff hidden somewhere in the middle. But I remember reading some posts last year about NVME power management, so this maybe your culprit.