Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I disable whatevergreen I get about 4 minutes of "Hash data from ME never returned" (attached) and it eventually boots into the system but with a whole lot of screwed up colors. Tried the latest official whatevergreen.kext as well.

I can also boot without whatevergreen and add "-disablegfxfirmware" which gets rid of the screwed colors but I end up without GPU acceleration, right?

If you disable WhateverGreen indeed -disablegfxfirmware is required not to have Apple drivers try and update your IGPU firmware. The hash data never returned error is the firmware update failing.

Since your computer boots, it seems like your WhateverGreen.kext is not finding a proper configuration when loading.

Two things I can think of:
  • New device properties added in config.plist are not present in yours, WhateverGreen needs this to set the correct framebuffer configuration
  • Some of your DSDT AML files in the patched folder are not up to date as per the repository.
    This could cause a conflict in WhateverGreen as well, as the configuration moved from SSDT table to Device Property injection.

If you disable WhateverGreen indeed -disablegfxfirmware is required not to have Apple drivers try and update your IGPU firmware. The hash data never returned error is the firmware update failing.

Since your computer boots, it seems like your WhateverGreen.kext is not finding a proper configuration when loading.

Two things I can think of:
  • New device properties added in config.plist are not present in yours, WhateverGreen needs this to set the correct framebuffer configuration
  • Some of your DSDT AML files in the patched folder are not up to date as per the repository.
    This could cause a conflict in WhateverGreen as well, as the configuration moved from SSDT table to Device Property injection.

Thanks for the heads up. Im trying the newest repo from a thumb drive now to keep my main system stable.
I still get the same kernel panic though.

Completely used all files from the repo, after removing all old clover files.
Updated Clover to the latest version, and also installed all necessary kexts from your L/E to my L/E folder (kext beast, sudo kextcache -i/).

I've tried to make some changes to the SSDT-Config, specificly "Name(HIGH, 0)" as my FHD version only supports 1080p but this does not lead anywhere it seems.

Some questions:
There are a lot of ssdt's that are not included anymore, and also not necessary right? SSDT-ALC256.aml for example.
Whats the matter with ACPIBatteryManager.kext? It is included in /kexts/ but not in Clover/kexts/other/

Could anyone else with the 9360 FHD i7-7500u version report in if the newest repo works for him?

Thanks for the heads up. Im trying the newest repo from a thumb drive now to keep my main system stable.
I still get the same kernel panic though.

Completely used all files from the repo, after removing all old clover files.
Updated Clover to the latest version, and also installed all necessary kexts from your L/E to my L/E folder (kext beast, sudo kextcache -i/).

I've tried to make some changes to the SSDT-Config, specificly "Name(HIGH, 0)" as my FHD version only supports 1080p but this does not lead anywhere it seems.

Some questions:
There are a lot of ssdt's that are not included anymore, and also not necessary right? SSDT-ALC256.aml for example.
Whats the matter with ACPIBatteryManager.kext? It is included in /kexts/ but not in Clover/kexts/other/

Could anyone else with the 9360 FHD i7-7500u version report in if the newest repo works for him?
I have the same problem on my i7 7500u using the latest version on the repo but I thought this was because I was not able to generate a custom CPUFriend Kext for 7500u. Has anyone created a CPUFriend Kext with 7500u values ?

I have the same problem on my i7 7500u using the latest version on the repo but I thought this was because I was not able to generate a custom CPUFriend Kext for 7500u. Has anyone created a CPUFriend Kext with 7500u values ?

Sounds like it's a different issue. The custom frequency vectors have never been shown to have a measurable effect on power usage, even. And you can always just boot without HWP. Your crash is in the graphics drivers, specifically the framebuffer controller. If it matches what killuminati91 posted.

I haven't yet tried the new files, myself.

Sounds like it's a different issue. The custom frequency vectors have never been shown to have a measurable effect on power usage, even. And you can always just boot without HWP. Your crash is in the graphics drivers, specifically the framebuffer controller. If it matches what killuminati91 posted.

I haven't yet tried the new files, myself.

The new files specify the frame-buffer controller through device property injection, as opposed to SSDT-CONFIG and SSDT-IGPU. So the existing AML's need to be removed first and the following properties should be in config.plist at least:

XML:
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <!-- IMEI Controller -->
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>compatible</key>
                <string>pci8086,9cc1</string>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                wZwAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <!-- AppleALC HDAS Layout -->
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>
                DQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <!-- GFX0 platform-id and framebuffer configuration (QHD) -->
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AAAWWQ==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                FlkAAA==
                </data>
                <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
                <data>
                AADAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAABQ==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>

If you have non-QHD you need to place your values here instead (if different). You should be able to derive them from the pre-existing SSDT-IGPU.dsl logic.

Pardon me, but does this guide for Post #1 apply for Mojave as well? Or is there a spot somewhere in these 310 pages where it has been modified for Mojave use? I acquired an XPS 9360 and would like to get it running 10.14.4.

Thanks

I'm going to go ahead and wave the white flag, here's what I did. I followed the Perez guide on Youtube. Did the NVME patch. prepared USB. setup BIOS. But I can't get to the Mojave installer -- it reboots within about 5 seconds of leaving Clover. Attached are screenshots of how it breaks down.

I have the 9360 with the following spec:
i7-7560U
DW1560 chip installed
QHD w/touch screen

Any ideas on what I can try?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 92
Hey guys, anyone tried Mojave 10.14.5? I need it in order to install the latest xcode version (which is needed to deploy application on an updated iphone)

I'm going to go ahead and wave the white flag, here's what I did. I followed the Perez guide on Youtube. Did the NVME patch. prepared USB. setup BIOS. But I can't get to the Mojave installer -- it reboots within about 5 seconds of leaving Clover. Attached are screenshots of how it breaks down.

I have the 9360 with the following spec:
i7-7560U
DW1560 chip installed
QHD w/touch screen

Any ideas on what I can try?

Did you patch your DVMT variables according to the-darkvoids repo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back