Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360-2.9.0-Clover
CPU
I7-8550U/02PG84
Graphics
UHD 620 / 3200x1800
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
It might be just a coincidence, but by using alcid=11, instead of 56, I'm getting both a functioning internal microphone input (instead of a fake line-in), and normal stereo output (although perhaps not at the highest output volume) and most importantly, stable sleep(!)

Current remaining issues:
  • Bluetooth doesn't always re-enable from sleep, but it can be toggled on and off in preferences, and that fixes it. Otherwise works great, for both a Magic Mouse, and external audio (most of the time, see below)
  • Audio doesn't always work when connecting/disconnecting a bluetooth audio device. E.g. sometimes, I'll get audio, other times I won't, like when using Hangouts for video chat and switching audio sources, or enabling/disabling the bluetooth audio.
  • Right-click on the trackpad doesn't work, but my work-around is two-finger tap.
My kernel-task issues are definitely not nearly as prevalent as before, and the only thing I monkied with is the alcid.

BTW, I found the '11' layout option by looking at the https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs and matching it to the codec in the XPS 9360: Realtek ALC256 (3246)

I was able to resolve some of these issues by updating with the latest from @the-darkvoid repo: https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/

Also, there is some good information in some of the issues discussions that is missing from this forum:

Specifically, I was able to resolve both the trackpad right-click issue, and the headphone jack issues I encountered as they are both discussed there with proposed resolutions.

Many thanks to @the-darkvoid for doing the heavy lifting after @bozma88 's original guide has become stale, and for continuing to update and maintain the repository.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360-2.9.0-Clover
CPU
I7-8550U/02PG84
Graphics
UHD 620 / 3200x1800
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've been doing some OpenGL application development and I've noticed that it reports the graphics card as a Intel UHD 617 rather than a UHD 620. As a result, the OpenGL support is actually more limited than what is available under native Windows 10.

The utility I'm using is called OpenGL Extensions Viewer (available in the AppStore, or from here: http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview) and it has some good information on the graphics hardware.

Is there another Model ID that correctly identifies the Intel graphics and uses the correct driver?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360 (KabyLake R)
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In your GIthub repo I noticed, that your DSDT folder got updated 19 days ago - so it seems to me, that it is still used.
In mark perez guide however, the folder is not even touched and not copied to any EFI partition - is it of any importance?

What you saw is correct. Clover Hotpatching changes existing BIOS tables to allow MacOS to work properly.
On top of that we inject additional BIOS tables from the DSDT table to enhance the existing BIOS to support things like battery, brightness etc. Since information is added and not modified it is still hotpatching, as its mostly BIOS version independent.

Edit:

On second thought, the Perez guide possibly makes use of compiled DSDT patches only. They would be in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder as .AML files. In my repo I include both the source .DSL files as well as the compiled files as .AML in CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370 Prime A II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

this is a "pre-troubles" post!

My MBP 13" early 2013 is close to pension and it has been a nice companion in all these years. So I'm looking around to find a good substitute that can endure at least 5 years without investing a as big amount of money as Apple would ask me if I go with them.

I use laptop when on travel for photo stuff, mainly Adobe LR and PS. So I need a big internal drive (1 or better 2TB) and 16GB of RAM, at least. My eyes are smiling at DELL XPS 13" but I'm wondering what model is better for my needs and reading here:

https://amp.laptopmag.com/articles/2018-dell-xps-13-vs-2017-xps-13

what is the model that ensure better compatibility among 9360, 9370 and 9380? If the answer is 9360 how to get the best configuration for this model?

I have an average, good experience on desktop hackintosh but never done a laptop! Thanks in advance guys for your answers!

PS: why you all need to format the NVMe to 4k sector or patching the Samsung models while onto desktop this is not necessary? Is a DELL BIOS related thing?

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I use laptop when on travel for photo stuff, mainly Adobe LR and PS. So I need a big internal drive (1 or better 2TB) and 16GB of RAM, at least.

The battery life on the XPS 9360 is not as good on MacOS as it is on Windows, keep this in mind when using for travel purposes. The 9370 or 9380 have a soldered in WiFi chip, which makes the travel case even harder.

To be very honest, if you want a trustworthy MacOS machine for travel which does what you need from it every time, buy a real MacBook. When traveling you might not have additional equipment on you to resolve issues if anything goes wrong with the hackintosh installation.

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
The battery life on the XPS 9360 is not as good on MacOS as it is on Windows, keep this in mind when using for travel purposes. The 9370 or 9380 have a soldered in WiFi chip, which makes the travel case even harder.

To be very honest, if you want a trustworthy MacOS machine for travel which does what you need from it every time, buy a real MacBook. When traveling you might not have additional equipment on you to resolve issues if anything goes wrong with the hackintosh installation.

I tend to agree on having a MacBook for durability and longer battery life, particularly the new MB (not MBP). That said, I guess with some advanced optimisation you can get better battery life on MacOS than Windows (but not Linux) if you apply a few tricks, mainly because POSIX-based systems allow for better tinkering under the hood.

For example, on the 8th Gen i7, disabling turbo boost when on battery, mid brightness, and cautious undervolting gives me 7h battery life with a QHD+, which I haven't yet experienced on Windows. Linux goes one step further, using the steps above, plus specific kernel patching, together with powertop on Kali I can get 10h, but it's (probably) not for the faint hearted...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370 Prime A II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

thank you! Above all for your straightforward thought on the reliability. It means that even if I don't upgrade the machine (for sure I will two or three times per year, but never before leaving!), an XPS9360 would not be reliable on travelling?

9370 or 9380 are not an option if I cannot use Wifi, that's for sure. On travel Wifi is crucial! And I don't want to rely upon a dongle for it. But facts are also that I can have an XPS9360 with 16GB, best screen option, and a swapped 2TB NVMe for less than 2K€, while with Apple it's more than 4,3K€ ... it's really a lot of money!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370 Prime A II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For example, on the 8th Gen i7, disabling turbo boost when on battery, mid brightness, and cautious undervolting gives me 7h battery life with a QHD+, which I haven't yet experienced on Windows. Linux goes one step further, using the steps above, plus specific kernel patching, together with powertop on Kali I can get 10h, but it's (probably) not for the faint hearted...

Thank you! I was exactly looking on Ebay to a machine with i7-8550U, 16GB RAM and QHD+ screen. But reliability when on travel is a key factor. The machine must working all the times in the same expected way! (Provided that I won't change a bit of Clover/MacOs configurations) ...

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
8550U
Graphics
UHD620

It's a small point, but I get about 9 hours sometimes on Windows, same configuration. Similar tweaks on windows also help.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android