Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 (9360)
CPU
i7-8550u (8th Generation) Kalby Lake - R
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Hello all. My machine just suffered a NVME SSD failure. I’m in the hunt for the best replacement option ASAP.

Is NVME a preferred route to go again? Specific drive suggestions?

Looking for something no less than 512GB. Thanks in advance.

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Hello all. My machine just suffered a NVME SSD failure. I’m in the hunt for the best replacement option ASAP.

Is NVME a preferred route to go again? Specific drive suggestions?

Looking for something no less than 512GB. Thanks in advance.
Sorry about your woes - having an SSD failure truly sucks. Especially when RAID options on this machine are limited.

@the-darkvoid and I traded a few posts on this topic a few pages back, but I'll re-summarise here briefly:

1. NVMe (eg: 970 PRO/EVO et al) - great performance (though limited by 2 channels), but higher power consumption and you need to maintain NVMe patches
  2. SATA (eg: 850 EVO et al) - slower performance, but lower power consumption and (reasonably) low maintenance

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VI Impact
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Seems like many are having trouble with this. I agree; the readme file does not make sense that much.
But here's the rundown:
  1. Download the latest CPUFriend.kext release zip (As of posting this comment, it is 1.1.6): https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend/releases
  2. Unzip the file, open the folder, and place the kext inside the Downloads folder
  3. Open up your (config.plist) file, go to "SMBIOS", and change the laptop model to what hardware you have (click on 2 rear-facing vertical arrows) (Usually, most people select "MacbookPro14,1" )
  4. Under the section "Board", note down the "Board-ID"
  5. Clone the CPUFriend repo in the terminal: cd ~/Downloads; git clone https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend.git
  6. Change directory to the script (ResourceConverter.sh): cd ~/Downloads/CPUFriend/ResourceConverter/
  7. Run the command (as described in the instructions md file): ./ResourceConverter.sh --kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID)
  8. (CPUFriendDataProvider.kext) should now be there. Copy the 2 kexts into the EFI Folder of your SSD (EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other)
  9. Remember to choose the correct model in SMBIOS. Save/Exit the config.plist file
  10. Run command to regenerate kexts: sudo kextcache -i /
  11. reboot
That's a nice writeup @markperez1904. Just don't forget to modify the frequencyVectors according to your machine's CPU inside the ..../X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID) =)

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360 (KabyLake R)
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Sorry about your woes - having an SSD failure truly sucks. Especially when RAID options on this machine are limited.

@the-darkvoid and I traded a few posts on this topic a few pages back, but I'll re-summarise here briefly:

1. NVMe (eg: 970 PRO/EVO et al) - great performance (though limited by 2 channels), but higher power consumption and you need to maintain NVMe patches
  2. SATA (eg: 850 EVO et al) - slower performance, but lower power consumption and (reasonably) low maintenance
The new WD Black (with the new Western Digital designed controller) works pretty well and supports 4K sectors.
I use the 1TB model which has a model number of WDS100T2X0C.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360 (Clover)
CPU
I7-8550U
Graphics
HD620
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
DarkVoid - thank you for all your hard work. I've used your repo and am on Mojave. I am finding that the battery % on the menu bar is about 5% off from what I calculate from the system report. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 (9360)
CPU
i7-8550u (8th Generation) Kalby Lake - R
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
The new WD Black (with the new Western Digital designed controller) works pretty well and supports 4K sectors.
I use the 1TB model which has a model number of WDS100T2X0C.
Thanks for the reply. I have one on the way; should be arriving Thursday.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VI Impact
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey guys, does a non-apple headset combo (headphone and mic) have a working headset mic on this hack? Thinking about getting one, but thought I'd confirm it it with everyone first. Thank you

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360 (2017)
CPU
Intel Core i5 7200U
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620
That's a nice writeup @markperez1904. Just don't forget to modify the frequencyVectors according to your machine's CPU inside the ..../X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID) =)
And that’s the point where I stuck. How to generate the correct frequency vector payload? Can this be done using Piker‘s freqVectorsEdit.sh? Otherwise the power management uses the wrong frequencies for the cpu (f.e. 7200U as there is no any suitable plist for this CPU).

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360-2.9.0-Clover
CPU
I7-8550U/02PG84
Graphics
UHD 620 / 3200x1800
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Anyone else having a problem with the trackpad just stopping randomly, requiring a reboot? Is there some configuration of the VoodooI2C kext that addresses this issue?
I also have/had the problem of the trackpad not working when installing OSX, but after running through the steps to configure and reload the kext cache, it would work on boot, and post-sleep, etc. Now, it's randomly stopping, requiring a reboot.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VI Impact
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
And that’s the point where I stuck. How to generate the correct frequency vector payload? Can this be done using Piker‘s freqVectorsEdit.sh? Otherwise the power management uses the wrong frequencies for the cpu (f.e. 7200U as there is no any suitable plist for this CPU).
Ahh, yes yes. You need modify the frequency vectors of the .plist file of your board id. Open that .plist using Xcode, and then under FrequencyVectors, modify the entry according to your needs. In my case of using Macbookpro 14,1 I changed the 0d to 04 under the FrequencyVectors. See this post