Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be very helpful to understand how to generate CPUFriend data provider correctly. I've only seen a lot of people providing pre-generated data, but I can't find anyone describing the process. Can you @jkbuha give at least an hint on what to do? I totally understand if you can't/don't have time/don't want to bother with it anyway

I've never used CPUFriend before, but now I need to learn how to use it given I have an 8th Gen CPU.

Will take a look when I'm back from travels next week. In the meantime stay tuned :)

Everyone who suffers high CPU load because of kernel task (AppleHDA related issue):
I downloaded most recent version 1.3.5 and added bootarg "--alcid=56" in Clover. I do not see any kernel_task related CPU spikes anymore.
Relevant line in changelog:
  • Fix ConfigData in ALC256 (3246) for Dell Series by Insanelydeepak
So all hail to Insanelydeepak.

I would also be interested in an easy to understand guide how to generate CPUFriend vectors. I tried myself but I have no idea how to get the frequency vector "payload" for my CPU 7200u. There was no related model released, so I cannot use a preexisting apple-profile to get the vectors.

Everyone who suffers high CPU load because of kernel task (AppleHDA related issue):
I downloaded most recent version 1.3.5 and added bootarg "--alcid=56" in Clover. I do not see any kernel_task related CPU spikes anymore.

I would also be interested in an easy to understand guide how to generate CPUFriend vectors. I tried myself but I have no idea how to get the frequency vector "payload" for my CPU 7200u. There was no related model released, so I cannot use a preexisting apple-profile to get the vectors.
I am getting a little bit messy on audio kexts. Are you using only AppleHDA? I am not getting functional audio with AppleHDA; only with VoodooHDA, but not through HDMI (while pc and bt audio works fine). I copied the folder of another user and I ended up having AppleHDA, AppleALC and VoodooHDA, but I don't need them all for sure, so what are you using?

I am using just AppleALC.kext in Clover's kext directory (on EFI partition) + CodecCommander.kext in /Library/ (main partition of mac os") + added boot arg "alcid=56" in clover configurator / config.plist. No other kext relating to audio.

I am using just AppleALC.kext in Clover's kext directory (on EFI partition) + CodecCommander.kext in /Library/ (main partition of mac os") + added boot arg "alcid=56" in clover configurator / config.plist. No other kext relating to audio.
THank you so much.

After I applied the settings to make AppleALC.kext function, lid-wake works!!

I am going to update my tutorial. Again, thank you mfuesslin

Are you sure it is the 1.3.5 and not the 1.3.4? I am looking at acidanthera github repo (https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases) and the latest version is 1.3.4, which includes the fix you are talking about - Fix ConfigData in ALC256 (3246) for Dell Series by Insanelydeepak

Yes, I finally figured it out, by reading the VoodooI2C help / troubleshooting thread.

Here's the file - pull out the 2 kexts and put them in the EFI - Clover - Kext - Other folder, replacing the ones provided by DarkVoid. https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/files/2721949/VoodooI2C.zip

Relevant thread: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/108#issuecomment-450975161

I couldn't get those kexts to load properly, for some reason. The only difference I see in the kernel output is the GPIO stuff loading before the I2C, instead of the other way around, but I don't know what that's about. I figure I can wait for a release and see what happens, cause I don't mind ctrl-click.

On another topic: I discovered that if I wake the laptop with a USB 3 flash drive connected to the USB C port, it wakes up that port for USB, and even attaches the IOThunderboltController! I don't yet have a Thunderbolt 3 device, though.

Does anyone else have trouble using the USB 3 functionality of that port? Until I discovered this workaround, it wasn't working for me. I think I was able to get it to work with -uia_exclude_hs, also, while I was messing with the UIAC stuff.

I've never used CPUFriend before, but now I need to learn how to use it given I have an 8th Gen CPU.

Will take a look when I'm back from travels next week. In the meantime stay tuned :)

I've been able to build a CPUfriend kext for my 8550U and have idle CPU average 0.63-0.72 GHz (of course the spike at the end of the run is the load from taking the screenshot).

P-State ratio * 100 = Frequency in MHz
------------------------------------------
CPU P-States [ (7) 27 ] iGPU P-States [ ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 6 ]
CPU C7-Cores [ 0 2 3 5 6 ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 4 5 6 7 ]
CPU C7-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
CPU P-States [ 7 (8) 27 ] iGPU P-States [ ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 2 4 5 6 7 ]
CPU C7-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]
CPU P-States [ 7 (8) 27 ] iGPU P-States [ (21) ]
CPU P-States [ (6) 7 8 27 ] iGPU P-States [ 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 6 7 8 (25) 27 ] iGPU P-States [ (18) 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 6 7 8 (23) 25 27 ] iGPU P-States [ 18 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 6 7 8 23 (24) 25 27 ] iGPU P-States [ 5 18 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 6 7 8 23 24 (25) 27 ] iGPU P-States [ 5 18 21 ]
[ 18 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 4 6 7 8 12 17 18 19 26 31 (36) ] iGPU P-States [ 18 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 4 6 7 8 12 (16) 17 18 19 26 31 36 ] iGPU P-States [ 2 18 21 ]
CPU P-States [ 4 6 7 8 12 16 17 18 19 (24) 26 31 36 ] iGPU P-States [ 2 18 21 ]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 8.36.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 8.36.59 PM.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 128
THank you so much.

After I applied the settings to make AppleALC.kext function, lid-wake works!!

I am going to update my tutorial. Again, thank you mfuesslin
:thumbup:

Are you sure it is the 1.3.5 and not the 1.3.4? I am looking at acidanthera github repo (https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases) and the latest version is 1.3.4, which includes the fix you are talking about - Fix ConfigData in ALC256 (3246) for Dell Series by Insanelydeepak

You are right, I have the version 1.3.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back