Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone managed to get sound working on Mojave? Updated without a problem, but there are no sound devices.
Neither darkvoids repo nor VoodooHDA is working.
Problem files attached.

Edit: It seems like all supported layouts for the ALC256 (11,13,56) have been removed. What to do now?

Attachments

• debug_3856.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get sound working on Mojave? Updated without a problem, but there are no sound devices.
Neither darkvoids repo nor VoodooHDA is working.
Problem files attached.

Edit: It seems like all supported layouts for the ALC256 (11,13,56) have been removed. What to do now?

Delete your "AppleHDA_ALC256.kext" from ///Library/Extensions/
I had the same problem, looked in your debug - then in mine and I found the problem.
the problem was after update - that the file was build into the folder from the script of @the-darkvoid .
after deleting I start "sudo kextcache -I / " in terminal and did a reboot. it all beautiful!

Update: i also found out that in your SSDT-Config.aml Line 47 The valueName (AUDL, One); my value is: Name (AUDL, 0x0B)

Last edited:
Delete your "AppleHDA_ALC256.kext" from ///Library/Extensions/
I had the same problem, looked in your debug - then in mine and I found the problem.
the problem was after update - that the file was build into the folder from the script of @the-darkvoid .
after deleting I start "sudo kextcache -I / " in terminal and did a reboot. it all beautiful!

Update: i also found out that in your SSDT-Config.aml Line 47 The valueName (AUDL, One); my value is: Name (AUDL, 0x0B)

That's -i not -I btw...

@Killuminati91 might not have sync'ed the latest changes to the repo:

https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/commit/0a39353bdf272b41f4edb5d7726c16f257b43aa1

For anyone who's updated to Mojave (as I've done this weekend), AppleHDA_ALC256.kext is not working, use @the-darkvoid 's AppleALC kext in conjunction with the new layoutID (11).

Quick question - is anyone getting intermittent KPs immediately after Clover hands over to macOS? It happens once every 3-4 reboots, initially I thought it was due to the missing USB kext patch, but is due to something else. I'll post my updated configs and logs shortly if no one else is experiencing this, or if I solve the issue, whichever comes first.

PS: Really hate APFS. It tried and then failed to migrate 10.12.6, and seeing as conversion can't be bypassed now, I had to reinstall from scratch. All this to get a dark window...

That's -i not -I btw...
Quick question - is anyone getting intermittent KPs immediately after Clover hands over to macOS? It happens once every 3-4 reboots, initially I thought it was due to the missing USB kext patch, but is due to something else. I'll post my updated configs and logs shortly if no one else is experiencing this, or if I solve the issue, whichever comes first.
sorry - you're right.
Never had KP the last 2 days since update. Maybe 15 starts in these days.

Issue with USB fixed (correct patch applied)

I've attached my EFI configuration for anyone that wants to use and/or constructively criticize. Points of note:

1) Config is optimised for i7-7500U. So power management is native, ie not using CPUfriend etc
2) Wasn't able to seamlessly upgrade from 10.12.6, installer failed when converting filesystem. If anyone's coming the same way, use CCC - that way you'll be able to restore if all else fails. Unlike what I did.
3) Am using AppleALC for sound until I find a way to patch the AppleHDA natively as before. Still not sure if there's any difference in sound quality with either method.
4) Question for @the-darkvoid - from your experience is it worth going from MBP14,1 to MBP15,2? Can't seem to find the rationale to do so...

Otherwise experience is (surprisingly) pleasant, a tad faster on Geekbench than with Sierra, audio feels higher quality and the OS feels more responsive too. Could be the fresh install, or a dark mode placebo...

Attachments

• EFI_MOJAVE.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 142
4) Question for @the-darkvoid - from your experience is it worth going from MBP14,1 to MBP15,2? Can't seem to find the rationale to do so...

My Dell XPS is i7-8550U vs i7-8559U in MBP15,2. I just feel it is a closer match in terms of hardware.
However, because there is no non-touchbar model, it does require disabling biometrics, otherwise each password prompt hangs for a bit before allowing keyboard input.

My Dell XPS is i7-8550U vs i7-8559U in MBP15,2. I just feel it is a closer match in terms of hardware.
However, because there is no non-touchbar model, it does require disabling biometrics, otherwise each password prompt hangs for a bit before allowing keyboard input.

Long shot, but anyway to use the fingerprint reader on the 9360 for the biometric password?

@jkbuha Can confirm, has occurred to me as well... got a random kernel panic after the first reboot post Mojave installation

---

I have deleted AppleALC_HDA256.kext from /L/E and placed the most recent AppleALC.kext from @the-darkvoid 's repository in /kexts/Other, but still have no sound. I have reset the cache with kextutility as well. What's wrong? *shrug*

Attachments

• debug_23559.zip
    3 MB · Views: 87
@jkbuha Can confirm, has occurred to me as well... got a random kernel panic after the first reboot post Mojave installation

---

I have deleted AppleALC_HDA256.kext from /L/E and placed the most recent AppleALC.kext from @the-darkvoid 's repository in /kexts/Other, but still have no sound. I have reset the cache with kextutility as well. What's wrong? *shrug*

All kexts you need should be installed to /L/E.
You should check that the layout-id you're using is valid for AppleALC for your codec.

Long shot, but anyway to use the fingerprint reader on the 9360 for the biometric password?
I have the fingerprint reader, and it uses a TLS connection over USB to supply finger print scans.
Problem is that the biometric framework from OS X is undocumented, though it is also running over USB.

With the fact that Apple has a dedicated security processor in the touchbar for most of the fingerprinting and secure storage management, it might be difficult.

You should try and develop a driver, you can find a reverse engineering effort here: https://github.com/hmaarrfk/Validity91

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back