Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it reboots, it shows more than one boot option for macOS, pick the "Install macOS" one which just appeared.
After the update is done, it disappears again.

I'm afraid it doesn't. The only boot option on the reboot is "Boot macOS from macos" (i.e same as usual, nothing different after the update installer reboots).

I'm afraid it doesn't. The only boot option on the reboot is "Boot macOS from macos" (i.e same as usual, nothing different after the update installer reboots).
I ran into this problem on my desktop. Creating a USB drive with the installer and running it from there let me update the system.

@jkbuha,

As mentioned in another thread I just posted, I have now developed FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext.
This allows reading (and if we extend it, also controlling) fans in the system as well as temperature sensors.

Its in the latest macOS-XPS9360 commit on my github repo.

Thanks for this - Fan sensor now works though I get this additional EC readout as well:

upload_2018-7-27_13-19-10.png

@jkbuha,

Temperature sensors and battery voltage are added by SSDT-SMCD in my repo.

Ensure you clear the HWMonitor preferences file to cause it to probe all sensors again.

Yes thanks. Flushing caches and purging conf file in ~/Library did the trick.

Package Frequency is still incorrect (multiplier is correct) - I recall this came with a recent BIOS update. Will dig into it when I get a chance...

upload_2018-7-28_11-44-54.png

Yes thanks. Flushing caches and purging conf file in ~/Library did the trick.

Package Frequency is still incorrect (multiplier is correct) - I recall this came with a recent BIOS update. Will dig into it when I get a chance...

That looks like your CPU though, I didn't see an issue with my i7-8550u.

I now also added NVMe controller SMART sensors for HWMonitor, to show data on any NVMe SSDs in the system:
HWMonitor NVMe.jpg

A binary is on my repo, and I raised a pull request against Rehabman's source code on which I based it.

Question:

Anyone knows if its possible to install macOS on top of macOS keeping your settings and applications in place?

Last edited:
General question:

I looked at the new MacBookPro15,2 which has a board id of Mac-827FB448E656EC26.
The machine has the corresponding plist file in /IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/, however when I look on my High Sierra 10.13.6 the file is not there.

Hence not able to boot with the MacBookPro15,2 board-id configured. It would be interesting to boot with the MacbookPro15,2 board-id as the CPU is much closer to our model: i7-8550U vs i7-8559U.

Anyone knows where this file is coming from?

Edit:

Seems its coming from a special build of High Sierra for MacBookPro 2018: 17G2112

Install macOS prompts for it:
https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/blob/master/installinstallmacos.py

Code:
 #    ProductID    Version    Build  Title
1    091-53703    10.13.6  17G2112  macOS High Sierra
2    091-82771    10.13.5   17F66a  Install macOS High Sierra Beta
3    091-94326    10.13.6    17G65  macOS High Sierra
4    091-95251      10.14  18A336e  macOS Mojave Beta

Question:

Anyone knows if its possible to install macOS on top of macOS keeping your settings and applications in place?
As long as you don't 'Erase' your partition before installing, the new macOS installation will just override the previous one. Your apps, files, etc. will be preserved just as they were :)

You can also re-install macOS with the new build via Recovery Mode, as described here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...630-graphics-support-in-macos-10-13-6.256426/
You should boot with the MacBookPro15,2 SMBIOS and -no_compat_check so it downloads the newer build.

As long as you don't 'Erase' your partition before installing, the new macOS installation will just override the previous one. Your apps, files, etc. will be preserved just as they were :)

Thanks for that @ben9923.

Last edited:
Has anything tried using File Vault 2 on the XPS 9360 build? (@bozma88 ? , @jkbuha ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back