Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Glad that worked! Just dont know where to go from here lol. let me know if you make progress.

Thanks, maybe it's possible to use CloverHDA? But I'm not sure what I need to do to try it out. Can anyone help me out with instruction?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (clover)
CPU
Intel i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel® UHD 620 QHD+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks, maybe it's possible to use CloverHDA? But I'm not sure what I need to do to try it out. Can anyone help me out with instruction?

Try this:

I solved the audio issue, now it works using AppleHDA , @the-darkvoid ALC256 patch and editing the info plist, before I had bootloop after patching, this is what I did:

- Restore AppleHDA.kext from High sierra install disk in S/L/E
- Remove any AppleALC, CloverHDA, VoodooHDA,CodecCommander in S/L/E or L/E
- Run alc256 patch
- Move L/E AppleHDA_ALC256.kext on desktop
- Open it and edit Info.plist set LayoutID 13

sudo kextcache - i /

And try rebooting 2 times

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
1.3 GHz minimum frequency is per Apple's design. That is the same on Skylake/Kaby Lake MacBook Pros, might be like that on older/other platforms too.
You may have a look at X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext, which is a safer alternative to freqVectorsEdit.sh (No need to patch X86PlatformPlugin.kext)
You can go 0.8 GHz, even lower I guess. LFM here is set on 0.4 GHz. From a short test I get to ~0.45 GHz. May go to solid 0.4 if I give it some more time to idle...

@RehabMan might be worth mentioning this injector in the Power Management guide, after looking at it closely of course.
As I've said, no need to patch X86PlatformPlugin.kext with it :)

X86PP+HWP is a bit of a mixed bag with the Dell 9360/9560. Personally (and thanks to @bozma88 's persistent testing), I've found that over-aggressive use of this method produces a processing lag on the 2-core i7, and the minimal delta in battery saving is not worth it especially when compared to native XNU power handling. Note that this is for the i7-7500U, so YMMV on other CPUs...

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Try this:

Ok, so I've got this far:

-Found the original kext in the in the install image, deleted the one from /S/L/E and installed (via terminal) the original install image one.
-Ran the script to generate the AppleHDA_ALC256.kext
-Copied AppleHDA_ALC256.kext to the desktop and edited the .plist with xcode.

I'm assuming that I'm editing the LayoutID for the newly created entry in the patched kext info.plist , as there are three LayoutID entries now, the original has two??

Then where do I go with the Info.plist edited kext? Do I rename it to AppleHDA.kext and replace the vanilla in /S/L/E or do I replace the AppleHDA_ALC256.kext in /L/E?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

-Found the original kext in the in the install image, deleted the one from /S/L/E and installed (via terminal) the original install image one.

I'm assuming that I'm editing the LayoutID for the newly created entry in the patched kext info.plist , as there are three LayoutID entries now, the original has two??

Then where do I go with the Info.plist edited kext? Do I rename it to AppleHDA.kext and replace the vanilla in /S/L/E or do I replace the AppleHDA_ALC256.kext in /L/E?

AppleHDA_ALC256.kext is likely an AppleHDA injector, therefore should be installed to /L/E.
AppleHDA.kext should remain untouched (original as installed by the macOS installer).

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (clover)
CPU
Intel i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel® UHD 620 QHD+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

It seems that @the-darkvoid has added the new layout id in the patch, try moving the patched AppleHDA_ALC256.kext in L/E without editing the .plist. Update kext cache and reboot twice.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
AppleHDA_ALC256.kext is likely an AppleHDA injector, therefore should be installed to /L/E.
AppleHDA.kext should remain untouched (original as installed by the macOS installer).

Thanks, restored my backup of the originally installed kext.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
It seems that @the-darkvoid has added the new layout id in the patch, try moving the patched AppleHDA_ALC256.kext in L/E without editing the .plist. Update kext cache and reboot twice.

I guess you mean leave it where the script puts it (/L/E)? Just ran the script again with the original installed AppleHDA.kext reinstalled in /S/L/E. I'll update the kext cache and reboot twice and see how it goes.....

Ok, rebooted twice and no audio. Then removed codeccommander and then rebooted twice. Still not audio.

Attached is the patched injector kext.

Attachments

• AppleHDA_ALC256.kext.zip
    379.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Latitude 7400
CPU
i5 8365U Coffee Lake
Graphics
Intel HD620 FHD
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get my 9360 High Sierra config running. I have video, audio working but without USB-C and Power Management, I can't really work with this laptop and forced to stick to Windows :(. Fore sure it's related to SSDT patching. I've read tons of guides & forums, changed DVMT, but I've reached the point that I'm about to give up.
I'm attaching my DSDT folder generated via Clover F4. Could one of the experts in the forum help me to generate the necessary SSDT patches? many thanks in advance
Hope someone will be able to help :)

Attachments

• origin.zip
    67.6 KB · Views: 170