Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360R QHD+ Touch
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
HD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Was the Pre-Configuration you did just referring to the BIOS settings? I have the same specs as you (but Hynix SSD, formatted to 4k sector size), also using the the-darkvoid's files, but my power management doesn't seem to be working properly.

Did you install the-darkvoid's kext's to your system drive?

I've mounted the EFI-Partition, installed Clover, and then replaced the "Clover" Folder on the EFI partition with the Clover Folder from the GitHub Repo from the dark void, I've also installed all Kexts from the Folder with the Kext-Utility to the system drive. Maybe not the best solution but it works for me and at the moment I don't have the time to completely understand these clover magic, the last hackintosh that I build before this Dell-Project was 10.6 or 10.7 and the bootloaders at this time were not so powerful :D

Also I've found a safer way to under-volt my CPU/GPU on the MacOS Level and not on the bios level:
This guide works pretty good on my XPS 13 8th Gen, also the risk of bricking the system is greatly reduced :D

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331775-guide-how-to-undervolt-your-haswell-and-above-cpu/
(This method could also used to find the stable parameters for the bios method)

I think the power Management on the 8th Gen chips does not work perfectly now. The idle frequency in Mac OS is always 1.3 GHz and the CPU consumes around 1.5-2 Watt of energy, under windows and linux the idle frequency is 0.8 GHz and the CPU with a power consumption around 0.8 Watt. With better powermanagement it should be possible to save one more watt in idle...

I've followed the general laptop guide to enable Bluetooth, it mostly works, but luckily I don't need it :D

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Excellent find - VoltageShift is a safer (non-permanent) way to test UV settings. It correctly lists the already-undervolted components and provides a continuous monitoring option

I've also found another component to undervolt (Analog I/O) which seems to be working well (though unsure what the real-world difference will be). Still, every little (undervolting) helps....

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
I've mounted the EFI-Partition, installed Clover, and then replaced the "Clover" Folder on the EFI partition with the Clover Folder from the GitHub Repo from the dark void, I've also installed all Kexts from the Folder with the Kext-Utility to the system drive. Maybe not the best solution but it works for me and at the moment I don't have the time to completely understand these clover magic, the last hackintosh that I build before this Dell-Project was 10.6 or 10.7 and the bootloaders at this time were not so powerful :D

Also I've found a safer way to under-volt my CPU/GPU on the MacOS Level and not on the bios level:
This guide works pretty good on my XPS 13 8th Gen, also the risk of bricking the system is greatly reduced :D

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331775-guide-how-to-undervolt-your-haswell-and-above-cpu/
(This method could also used to find the stable parameters for the bios method)

I think the power Management on the 8th Gen chips does not work perfectly now. The idle frequency in Mac OS is always 1.3 GHz and the CPU consumes around 1.5-2 Watt of energy, under windows and linux the idle frequency is 0.8 GHz and the CPU with a power consumption around 0.8 Watt. With better powermanagement it should be possible to save one more watt in idle...

I've followed the general laptop guide to enable Bluetooth, it mostly works, but luckily I don't need it :D

Thanks, I've pretty much done the same thing, but no matter what, I can't get the kexts to install correctly in the system drive, either via kext utility or manually via terminal, I still get "Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed...." when rebuilding the cache.

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, I've pretty much done the same thing, but no matter what, I can't get the kexts to install correctly in the system drive, either via kext utility or manually via terminal, I still get "Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed...." when rebuilding the cache.
thats normal

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
thats normal

Good to know. Thanks.

Also, after a fresh install, the first boot seems to have proper power management, but on successive boots, it idles at around 3.5 GHz! Any ideas?

Attachments

• debug_28731.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360R QHD+ Touch
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
HD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Replace the complete Clover Folder with the Clover Folder from the darkvoid... you still have some other entries in the ACPI Folder...

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Replace the complete Clover Folder with the Clover Folder from the darkvoid... you still have some other entries in the ACPI Folder...

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get back home. Was hoping it was something stupid I did!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620

Didn't seem to help. Still the same problem...

Attachments

• debug_19665.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 102
Motherboard
Dell xps 14 - 0T8078 (clover)
CPU
i5-3317u
Graphics
Hd4000 + nvidia 630m (disabled with dsdt\ssdt)
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Didn't seem to help. Still the same problem...
If you open activity monitor and sory by cpu consumption is Kernel_Task taking up a majority of the cpu resources?