Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (clover)
CPU
Intel i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel® UHD 620 QHD+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I got 2 main problems:

If i load the AppleHDA.kext and AppleALC.kext I got a bootloop, without them, no audio device is detected.
The only way to get it working is loading voodoohda but it seems that the pin config is wrong, to make the external audio work I have to pull out the jack just e little bit until I can hear sound (mic and line inverted?)

With the battery at 96% I have 3:33hours (cpu usage at 5%).

It takes about 5 hours to full charge the battery, it is as expected?

Thank you :thumbup:

I solved the audio issue, now it works using AppleHDA , @the-darkvoid ALC256 patch and editing the info plist, before I had bootloop after patching, this is what I did:

- Restore AppleHDA.kext from High sierra install disk in S/L/E
- Remove any AppleALC, CloverHDA, VoodooHDA,CodecCommander in S/L/E or L/E
- Run alc256 patch
- Move L/E AppleHDA_ALC256.kext on desktop
- Open it and edit Info.plist set LayoutID 13

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360
CPU
Intel Core i7-7500U 2.70GHz / Intel Kaby Lake-U Premium PCH
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620 QHD+Touch / 3840x2160
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have a couple of questions:
- Is the sound still operational after restore from sleep?
- I have similar setup but your procedure does not work for me on 10.13.3 but does if I drop in AppleALC and VoodooHDA into L/E (Drawback: Audio breaks on wake from sleep)
- Do you still have @the-darkvoid AppleHDA 'Kernel and Kext Patch' x4 entries?

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel® UHD 620 QHD+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a couple of questions:
- Is the sound still operational after restore from sleep?
- I have similar setup but your procedure does not work for me on 10.13.3 but does if I drop in AppleALC and VoodooHDA into L/E (Drawback: Audio breaks on wake from sleep)
- Do you still have @the-darkvoid AppleHDA 'Kernel and Kext Patch' x4 entries?

Yes audio is working after sleep and I still have 4 AppleHDA patch, probably different audio card.

Take a look here and try different layout id, most used are 3,13,57.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel® UHD 620 QHD+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Remember to update kext :

sudo kextcache - i /

And try rebooting 2 times

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Samsung 850 EVO is not NVMe.

I'm using the 1TB done, PM works fine.

Noob question here. I am looking to hackintosh a 9360 i7-8550u and plan to replace the stock SSD with a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb. The 9360 setup guide however says the M.2 drive can only support up to 128gb of SATA storage (though NVMe/PCIe are listed as 1TB). Why would the capacity be listed so low?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
Intel Core i7-7560U @ 2,4 GHz
Graphics
Intel Iris 640 FHD
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Noob question here. I am looking to hackintosh a 9360 i7-8550u and plan to replace the stock SSD with a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb. The 9360 setup guide however says the M.2 drive can only support up to 128gb of SATA storage (though NVMe/PCIe are listed as 1TB). Why would the capacity be listed so low?

These are dell's default capacities offered during the order. There are no limits in os, nor the UEFI for both NVMe & SATA, so you can install the drive of any capacity and speed you need.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360
CPU
i7-8550u
Graphics
Intel UHD 620, 1920x1080
I've been reading through this thread hoping to find a solution to a USB-C/HDMI issue I'm having on my XPS 9360 with i7-8550u. I have macOS 10.13.3 running pretty smoothly so far thanks to the BIOS settings from this guide and @the-darkvoid's repository. When I use my USB-C to HDMI adapter to connect to my 27" external 4K monitor, I only get a black screen on the external monitor. macOS detects the display, but only a black screen shows up. This happens when I try to hotplug the adapter or boot up with it plugged in. If I boot into Windows 10, it works properly and I get an extended desktop at 3840x2160 on my external monitor.

Also, when I plug in a flash drive via Apple's USB-A to USB-C adapter, the flash drive's LED indicator lights up for a brief second, then goes away and the flash drive isn't detected in macOS at all.

It sounds like USB-C adapters should work out of the box based on other posts I've seen in this thread. Does anyone have some suggestions I can try?

I've also attached Problem Reporting files (created with the adapter and monitor plugged in) if anyone wants to look through them and point out what could be causing the issue in my configuration. Thanks!

Attachments

• debug_7722.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
  • monitor.png
    monitor.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360/(Clover v.4411)
CPU
Intel Skylake i7-7500U 2.70GHz (Kaby Lake)
Graphics
Intel Iris 620 3200 x 1800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been reading through this thread hoping to find a solution to a USB-C/HDMI issue I'm having on my XPS 9360 with i7-8550u. I have macOS 10.13.3 running pretty smoothly so far thanks to the BIOS settings from this guide and @the-darkvoid's repository. When I use my USB-C to HDMI adapter to connect to my 27" external 4K monitor, I only get a black screen on the external monitor. macOS detects the display, but only a black screen shows up. This happens when I try to hotplug the adapter or boot up with it plugged in. If I boot into Windows 10, it works properly and I get an extended desktop at 3840x2160 on my external monitor.

Also, when I plug in a flash drive via Apple's USB-A to USB-C adapter, the flash drive's LED indicator lights up for a brief second, then goes away and the flash drive isn't detected in macOS at all.

It sounds like USB-C adapters should work out of the box based on other posts I've seen in this thread. Does anyone have some suggestions I can try?

I've also attached Problem Reporting files (created with the adapter and monitor plugged in) if anyone wants to look through them and point out what could be causing the issue in my configuration. Thanks!
Did you install Sierra or HS?