Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not updating, boot Windows to check actual cycle and wear counters.
My advice is to set charge start to 80% and stop to 90% inside BIOS, this greatly decreases battery wear.
I have at least 100 full cycles on my battery, no wear or battery runtime change.

Awesome!! Thanks for the info, Bozma. :thumbup:

Unless you implement a real cycle count in ACPI (I suspect you haven't done that), ACPIBatteryManager.kext estimates cycle count based on the difference between MaxCapacity and DesignCapacity.

Yeah, I didn't implement that. I'll do some search on that topic. Ic, so the cycle count generated by ACPIBatteryManager.kext will be updated whenever the maxCapacity decreases. Thanks for the info, Rehabman. Oh, and thanks for updating the ACPIBatteryManager.kext. It doesn't break the energy tab inside activity monitor now. :thumbup::thumbup:

From extensive testing I've found out that 128MB and above (>=0x04) works well. In reality DVMT is allocated on demand, so as long as there is a sufficient aperture on pre-alloc (0x785) and a sufficient ceiling to work with (0x786) you should be fine.
@jkbuha Can you please tell me what is the difference to the settings of the guide from @bozma88. Because i have the same config as your xps (qhd, i7-7500) and my display resolution with hidpi is with the config of bozma88 1600x900

Last edited:
Pretty much the same, other than I use MBP14,1 as SMBIOS and have patched the framebuffer and DVMT to resolve the specific issues I was having with screen flickering on native KBL drivers.

If you are not experiencing any issues then bozma88's settings work just fine.

- FileVault requires additional EFI drivers to be loaded.
- Power button works if you set OSYS to Linux. On my very own system, I run with OSYS = Linux, but a few users experience issues like system freeze when plugging AC, so the main assets set OSYS to WIN. Do your experiments, if you have FHD it very well may work with OSYS Linux like my system does.
- Static through headphones: not all systems affected. Mine, e.g., is not. @jkbuha provided a solution, but with that solution I was never able to make HDMI audio work. If he's kind enough to investigate, we might try again.

Okay, I'm back after a couple days of trying things out:
- FileVault: I have managed to make it work ! A couple EFI drivers are required, but following the insanelymac guide was enough.
You need to choose between two Input drivers, the first one (UsbKbDxe) only works for external keyboard, and the second one (AptioInputFix) denies your password each time, which means you need your recovery key in order to login. Since I don't reboot my laptop that often, I just see this as a security option ;). Let's hope one day this gets fixed !
- Static through headphones: it seems to be less noticeable now that it used to be, even though I can still get audio jumps when I plug in or when I open from sleep, or sometimes no audio at all (Which gets fixed when replugging) . Also, sometimes the brightness keys seems buggy and I can only get min or max luminosity.

As for OSYS, I wasn't able to find something clear in order to change this value, do I just need to use iasl to decompile SSDT-XOSI.dsl and replace the Windows strings with only one "Linux" ? I don't have a FHD screen, but I would still like to try it.

Just a heads up - pretty much everything carries over to High Sierra GM.
SSDT-HPET.aml is keeping clover in a bootloop after the apple logo garble (disable it - no sound), HWMonitor only shows internal battery so no idea about cpu adjustments.

After taking a look through the kexts - are the following kexts necessary for PCI-e SSDTs and native support?

SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

If im not mistaken both Intel kexts were only needed to spoof, but since we got native kabylake support since 10.12.6 they are not needed anymore, right?

I have the i5-7200U version of the 9360 and was wondering if this affects the DVMT variable and value?

It's not something I really want to mess up so I figured I'd double check here.

EDIT: I dumped my bios and located DVMT. It is in fact the same value as the i7 version. :)

Last edited:
Okay, I'm back after a couple days of trying things out:
- FileVault: I have managed to make it work ! A couple EFI drivers are required, but following the insanelymac guide was enough.
You need to choose between two Input drivers, the first one (UsbKbDxe) only works for external keyboard, and the second one (AptioInputFix) denies your password each time, which means you need your recovery key in order to login. Since I don't reboot my laptop that often, I just see this as a security option ;). Let's hope one day this gets fixed !
- Static through headphones: it seems to be less noticeable now that it used to be, even though I can still get audio jumps when I plug in or when I open from sleep, or sometimes no audio at all (Which gets fixed when replugging) . Also, sometimes the brightness keys seems buggy and I can only get min or max luminosity.

As for OSYS, I wasn't able to find something clear in order to change this value, do I just need to use iasl to decompile SSDT-XOSI.dsl and replace the Windows strings with only one "Linux" ? I don't have a FHD screen, but I would still like to try it.

Yes, it should be enough. Try, you won't break anything!

Just a heads up - pretty much everything carries over to High Sierra GM.
SSDT-HPET.aml is keeping clover in a bootloop after the apple logo garble (disable it - no sound), HWMonitor only shows internal battery so no idea about cpu adjustments.

After taking a look through the kexts - are the following kexts necessary for PCI-e SSDTs and native support?

SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

If im not mistaken both Intel kexts were only needed to spoof, but since we got native kabylake support since 10.12.6 they are not needed anymore, right?

Sata kext not needed for pcie drives.
The last two kext are needed regardless of SKL spoofing (if I'm not mistaken). Since we are running devices with slightly different revisions (hence different IDs) and we run them at hw addresses different from what the OS expects from a regular Mac, we sometimes need kexts to fix things up.

Sata kext not needed for pcie drives.

Note that if you have an active SATA controller not natively supported (eg. handled by SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext), you should include SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext even if there are no drives connected to the controller.
Easy to verify the SATA controller in misc/preboot.log, ioreg, or lspci output.

The last two kext are needed regardless of SKL spoofing (if I'm not mistaken).

No need for FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext for KBL native.
Look at the Info.plist and you'll find no matches against the KBL device-ids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back