Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9350 macOS 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought an XPS with the same config as yours Maxe, except for the SSD, it's not NVMe but SATA 3 128gb base model. Would this affect my install at all? I plan on trying everything out first on an external drive to play around with it before ordering a bigger M2 ssd. As far as I've read, this should be pretty much plug & play considering we have the same exact config, right? I've had experience with Hackintoshes before, but I've never used Clover so that's something new. I guess we'll see later today once I get my external drive on the mail.

Thanks to this thread I've been successful in getting my XPS up and running for the most part but running into a few kinks. One specifically is a syn error message when patching dsdt file.

I'm getting PARSEOP_ARG1. I have followed Rehabman's guide to disassembling the DSDTs and still no go. I've also used the ref.txt method and nothing. Attached is the file. I'm using ACPI 6.1. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSDT_patched.dsl
    1 MB · Views: 132
1. I use your cloverHDA and works, and the strange thing is after updating windows 10 (I have dual boot), mac crashed when boot, I do safe mode crash too, just back to bios boot, and then I reinstall everything, and here's my experiences :
- I remove BCM..., and USBInjectAll, and everything else is in kexts/others in EFI instead in SSD S/L/E, the result is brightness always 100% at boot, after I move all to SSD S/L/E, it works good
- And audio is not works anymore (maybe needs BCM...?)
- And shutdown works ! After some testing, the culprit is USBInjectAll kexts, if using it, it wont shutdown
- Sleep still crashes

2. Not yet, is it affecting anything or just useless? Because BCM.. is working good if I boot windows 10 first, for BT I mean, wifi is on/off and now it cannot turns on (confused)

3. Sleep sometimes work, after sometime it crashes and start from bios boot
I'm not sure what you're actually doing, installing all KEXTs to /S/L/E/? This is the best way.
Audio shouldn't need BCM...
Will look into USBInjectAll, have you had any issues with USB ports?

It's pretty obvious for me:

When using NO HWP my file system is fine.

When using ONLY the config.plist to enable HWP my system crashes within minutes of resuming from sleep and won't boot properly (invalid record count). This didn't just happen once. I got it to reproduce everytime.

When using ONLY the HWPEnable.kext with plenty of sleep during the day and my system was fine, but when I woke up my laptop the next morning my file system got destroyed again. That was about 5 days ago and I've just been avoiding sleep since I got tired of reinstalling macOS.

Maybe this only effects me. Maybe it is caused by HWP and some other variable. Who knows.

Other than that it's working great for me. While idle my CPU throttles down all the way to ~0.4GHz whereas it would only go down to about 1.0GHz without HWP.
I think for now I'll remove HWP, seems to cause a lot of issues!

I've noticed A few things with mine, after waking from sleep the display stays blank like its a backlight issue. I also notice after the machine shuts down, it will turn itself back on. Does anyone else have these issues? And with HWP enabled, waking from sleep, the machine will restart after a minute. I went back to using SSDT's.
I think for now I'll remove HWP, seems to cause a lot of issues!

How did you do that? Sorry I'm pretty bad at doing this but I am pretty determined to get it to work. Thanks!!

I have nearly the same Dell XPS 13 (9350) but mine is the QHD+ version with I7-6560U. But the SSD is the only problem. Never gotten the installer to see the PM951 256GB. Thank you!
Are you booting with the Clover KEXT patches? These are required for the installer!

Sorry, but your CLOVER config is faulty and not bootable on 6560U. So It's not universal. Many options tried and always got the same result - KP.
Which options, which exact model? Your complaint isn't exactly helpful in allowing me to solve your issue! I'd recommend patching the DSDT and SSDTs.

I just recently bought an XPS with the same config as yours Maxe, except for the SSD, it's not NVMe but SATA 3 128gb base model. Would this affect my install at all? I plan on trying everything out first on an external drive to play around with it before ordering a bigger M2 ssd. As far as I've read, this should be pretty much plug & play considering we have the same exact config, right? I've had experience with Hackintoshes before, but I've never used Clover so that's something new. I guess we'll see later today once I get my external drive on the mail.
It should work (in theory), depending on if the controller is supported (likely will be better support than the NVMe drives!)

I bought a crucial MX300 m.2 sata ssd. However i could not get OS sierra to see it. El capitan could write to it, but it was corrupt after a reboot. Clover couldn't see it either. Is there something wrong with the ssd? Is it not compatible? It is sata. Do i need an 850 evo?
Are you booting with the Clover KEXT patches? These are required for the installer!

I'm not sure what you're actually doing, installing all KEXTs to /S/L/E/? This is the best way.
Audio shouldn't need BCM...
Will look into USBInjectAll, have you had any issues with USB ports?

Finally got it with audio after fighting it for 2 days constantly rebooting and reinstalling mac, conclusion :
1. Install CloverHDA and commander using kextUtility (long process)
2. Reboot with nocache (this is what I'm missing)

BCM... is I use for bluetooth, how do I patch the built in bluetooth? It seems that if I boot from windows first, it will work just fine (not wifi though)

Yes USBInjectAll is the culprit of shutdown equals restart, I'm connecting flash disk just fine, dont know about the speed though

About the sleep, 2 days ago I got it working (dont know how, because I cannot replicate it again), now sleep still not works, when woke up it will restart

Max, do you know if ssdt.aml have to specifically created in the installed laptop or I can just use yours ? I dont have internet connection because of the built in wifi card, so I dont know if power management is working well

Do you use VoodooPS2? Its hard because cannot tap to click since the touchpad settings is missing, do you have workaround?

So... everything was working perfectly, WAS. Does anyone else have issues booting after windows updates are performed? It's late right now, I'll try fixing clover tomorrow but for some odd reason, during a windows update, the files used by clover get messed up and I'm stuck at a "++++++++....++++" reboot loop. Happened to me a few weeks ago during the same process. I can boot into windows but any and all mac partitions are inaccessible (due to boot loop). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sleep doesn't work for me.

hi marinegr
can i ask if do you have iris 540 full working with sierra on your notebook?
i have a surface pro 4 with save gpu, and i can not enable screen resolutions and graphics acceleration

can you help me?
kr

I am having an issue and want to see if anyone can help with it. I used a clover folder from a previous post that works on my setup but then when I try to inject the config file with my own rom/MLB/serial (in clover configurator) I can't boot it back up. It gets to the clover boot screen and then when I try to boot it just gives me a black screen and restarts. I am simply updating the fields and nothing else. Very strange because I've never had this issue before. Thanks.

Okay well I fixed it, just redo your clover folder essentially - it doesn't have anything to do with the windows update. I still can't get audio to work, tried both KextUtility and EasyKext Pro - any other suggestions?

Did debug=0x100 show you the panic debug screen? I'm not using sleep right now since I'm still using HWP.

If you want proper power management (and thus battery life) you will either have to generate a SSDT.aml using ssdtPRGen.sh that goes into CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED or use the fancy new Skylake HWP (more performace & less power consumption). You can read up more on Intel HWP here. Thanks to @goodwin_c it can be enabled using config.plist although this resulted in data loss for me.

For now I've been using @goodwin_c 's HWPEnabler.kext with modified Info.plist for our 3.1GHz i7-6500U, although I would still be careful with sleep:

Code:
<key>HWPDeaultVal</key>
<string>80001f01</string>

If you say after booting, do you mean booting the installer USB or your installed macOS? I attached my current CLOVER folder so you can take a look at it. You might want to delete my patched DSDT/SSDT files and set DropTables to false to get macOS installed.

I pressed 1x F4 and 1x F4 + Fn in the Clover 'Main Menu' if that's what you are asking me. Worked just fine.

I used your clover and it finally detects my SSD, but when evern I'm installing the OS to the driver, after it complete, I get a black screen and nothing happens. Any solution?

I was able to properly patch all my dsdt/ssdt's. I'd like to make a suggestion to the guide. You should mention that after you extract your Dsdt/ssdt's that they should be passed through the refs.txt. This removes a lot of the errors and makes dsdt patching much easier. In order to prevent my XPS from immediately waking from sleep I had to use the DSDT patch "[usb] USB_PRW 0x6D Skylake (instant wake)". As for the Crucial MX 300 sata issue, Im not sure if all the DSDT patching I did would now let the drive show up, because I returned it. However my PM951 NVMe drive works fine. My 6560U averages 3.5 hours in battery with Sierra and 4k touch with a proper generated ssdt. How are others behaving?

Attachments

• 9350 CLOVER.zip
    19.9 MB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back