Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also how do you find the battery life in 10.15 ? Comparable to Windows or Ubuntu ?

Guys, I've made a UEFI stick(GPT/HFS)... managed to get the DELL to boot from it(manually as I need to add the UEFI device manually in the BIOS) but it boots to a black screen. Same stick is fine if I do a test boot from a Parallels VM, I can see some Clover stuff after 30secs... what can it be ? I'm on the A07 bios as I read earlier. I left it booting for few minutes but nothing on screen.

PS an Ubuntu stick it's automatically available under the UEFI boot devices when pressing F12, the Unibeast sticks whether 10.12 or 10.14 need to be manually added as boot devices in the BIOS... is this normal ?

Guys, I've made a UEFI stick(GPT/HFS)... managed to get the DELL to boot from it(manually as I need to add the UEFI device manually in the BIOS) but it boots to a black screen. Same stick is fine if I do a test boot from a Parallels VM, I can see some Clover stuff after 30secs... what can it be ? I'm on the A07 bios as I read earlier. I left it booting for few minutes but nothing on screen.

PS an Ubuntu stick it's automatically available under the UEFI boot devices when pressing F12, the Unibeast sticks whether 10.12 or 10.14 need to be manually added as boot devices in the BIOS... is this normal ?

Turns out a USB stick problem, another one is able to boot(still has to be selected manually in the BIOS)... weird as the one I've tried with works without issues with Ubuntu 19 and EFI boot.

Managed to get 10.14.4 installed and many things work indeed!

I'm using the EFI folder posted here from @justjish

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9343-sierra.206399/post-1981096

The one from @da_beidl results in a black screen and no boot at all on my machine. (maybe because it's for 10.15?)

Questions:

- Did anyone got the HiDPI enabled, to get more real estate without ugly scaling whilst staying in 3200x1800 output ?

- How hard is to create your own DSDT/SSDT these days ? I guess it's critical to avoid thing like USB drives being ejected on wake ?

- BIOS Settings: Does Virtualisation need to be off 100% ? Wondering as I'd like to run Parallels on it and I guess it could be best.

- Anyone replaced the battery of their DELL ? (mine is jd25g) Asking if there's any recommended seller as too many times online batteries are just old batteries with new stickers on top...I'd like to get the 52Wh back... at the moment I have half of that..

And thanks everyone for your help!!!!

- Did anyone got the HiDPI enabled, to get more real estate without ugly scaling whilst staying in 3200x1800 output ?

This works well https://github.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi

- Anyone replaced the battery of their DELL ? (mine is jd25g) Asking if there's any recommended seller as too many times online batteries are just old batteries with new stickers on top...I'd like to get the 52Wh back... at the moment I have half of that..
[/QUOTE]

Let me know about the battery if you have first hand experiences to share.... I'm collecting all various details to come up with a comprehensive guide for 10.14

Turns out a USB stick problem, another one is able to boot(still has to be selected manually in the BIOS)... weird as the one I've tried with works without issues with Ubuntu 19 and EFI boot.

I'm having the same issue. Do you know if one was USB 3 and the other USB 2? I may have to go out and buy another drive.

I'm having the same issue. Do you know if one was USB 3 and the other USB 2? I may have to go out and buy another drive.

I've discovered few things since then...(pardon the capitalisation, it's from my notes..)

WHEN CREATING THE MOJAVE STICK FORMAT AS HFS+ WITH GUID PARTION MAP. THIS WILL CREATE AN EFI PARTITION FOR CLOVER TO USE…OTHERWISE If CHOOSING MBR IT DOENS’T GET CREATED.

Overall:

FORMAT IN MBR IF YOU INTEND TO USE LEGACY MODE = NO UEFI / NO EFI partition / BIOS won’t see the stick as UEFI capable.

FORMAT IN GUID IF YOU WANT TO USE EFI = BIOS will see the stick as UEFI capable

Hi, has anyone manage to fix the audio and brightness levels on Catalina?

Yours could be the USB stick. I had no problem with a USB 3 one. I did however get the black screen with Intel Platform Trust Tecnology activated in the Security section of the BIOS.

Hi, has anyone manage to fix the audio and brightness levels on Catalina?
I use [B]da_beidl[/B] 's efi in #569 on my xps13 9343 with QHD.Brightness work .And audio can work if Ubantu(I boot ubantu from a usb storage) boot before Catalina.It may a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back