Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to load the APFS driver manually:
1) Change file extension of the ApfsDriverLoader to something other than .efi (like "nonefi")
2) Boot into Clover
3) Start the shell
4) fs0:
5) cd EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
6) load ApfsDriverLoader.nonefi
7) exit

This way the after exiting the shell Clover will show the APFS drives.

A way this could work in the long run and keeping a vanilla installation:
1) Use the shell as the bootloader (add entry in the BIOS setup)
2) set up a startup.nsh startup script to load the driver and then clover
Nice to hear there is at least some kind of solution :thumbup: Did you managed to actually boot Catalina or just the installer ? And if yes, wich Clover/EFI folder did you use ?

Nice to hear there is at least some kind of solution :thumbup: Did you managed to actually boot Catalina or just the installer ? And if yes, wich Clover/EFI folder did you use ?
I haven't tried Catalina yet, I've installed Mojave without the MBR+HFSplus patch and needed some way of booting into the existing installation.
Catalina should work fine though, assuming it works with the kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
I can send a dump of my CLOVER install as soon as I've tested everything (still need to replace my Intel WIFI+BT module with the Broadcom one).

Instead of a long post, I edited this heavily to help solve the common problems faced across the 50+ pages of posts.

Quick Fix:
Problem: Clover doesn't load when I am using APFS.EFI (or w.e. its called)
Solution: I went into the BIOS then to Security -> PTT Security and disabled 'Intel Platform Trust Technology'.

I have included my attached EFI and install instructions for the following XPS 9343 config:

Dell XPS 9343 | i5-5200U | QHD+ | BIOS A19 | Catalina Public Beta

Following items need fixing:

• Keyboard Shortcuts
  • More customization options on trackpad
  • More patches for renaming more APCI...I plan to create a guide using Open Core probably after the next Public Beta release.
  • Audio (well mine works, but I think I used a random firmware installer from a random EFI on Github... but it sucks away since the bass is all messed up, probably something that I won't bother attempting to fix until much later)

Install Instructions for using my Attached EFI:

0. Set-up macOS Installer using the vanilla way... Below is the Terminal command for Catalina Beta. Then mount the EFI of the installer place the EFI folder attached into the mounted EFI. Then the most important step, open the config.plist file using Clover Configurator and make sure to hit the 'Generate New' button in the SMBIOS section so your iMessage works properly.

Bash:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[USB NAME] --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app --nointeraction

1. Boot into Clover and select 'Install macOS from macOS Installer'
2. Set up your partition using Disk Utility... you can use APFS (Remember to use the 'Show All Devices' from that dropdown.
3. Then run the macOS Installer... and eventually your system will need to reboot/turn off.
4. Once back in Clover run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'... eventually your system will reboot/turn off, due to an error.
5. Go back into Clover and run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot' again!
6. Ensure the following items are listed as Clover entries after the restart.

• Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina Beta
  • Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
  • Boot Recovery from Recovery
  • Boot macOS from macOS
6. Now finally, run 'Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot'.
7. Now you can finally run 'Boot macOS from macOS'

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 612
Last edited:
After a 8+ hours I finally managed to get Catalina Beta running on Dell XPS 9343/i5-5200U/HD5500/QHD+ model. Its currently at a state with no performance issues just requiring a few fixes I consider 'Post-Install' fixes..

I need to work on a few Post-Install fixes:
  • Audio
  • Track Pad Gestures (You can move and click and two finger right click for now)
  • Sleep/Wake - Haven't done any testing on this yet.
  • Port Testing/Possibly mapping
  • Keyboard shortcut mapping
  • (And maybe more, posting this right after I booted into MacOS and was able to check performance, light surf the web, etc.)
After I fix the above I will create a 'Complete Guide for XPS 9343 Mojave/Catalina', sometime next week. Mainly because as all current resources for specifically XPS 13 9343 seem to be outdated. This is the most active thread, but requires going through years of posts for semi-solutions lol... The guide will be a balance of least amount of changes, and latest solution for any given issues.

But for now here are a few frustrating issues that I faced for the 'Installation' part with fairly quick solutions....

Solution: I went into the BIOS then to Security -> PTT Security and disabled 'Intel Platform Trust Technology'.

Problem: Woot! I finally booted into installer... trackpad/keyboard/attached mouse aren't working... Oddly the touchscreen is...
Solution: Disable USB3.0 support through BIOS

Problem: None of the EFI folders posted/linked over the last 20 comments seem to work.

Solution: Be more exact with the (my) problem....

Problem: None of the EFI folders posted/linked over the last 20 comments seem to work for INSTALLING macOS Mojave/Catalina when I copied them EXACTLY.

Solution Part 1: Always use EFI folders that are linked/posted for reference only! Some of EFI folders posted/linked look like they include 'Post-Install' fixes/settings. One of them had a Clover entry that required for Installation, hidden. Others are using older methods of fixing certain issues. Some can have older drivers, unneeded drivers, etc, etc. They each have their flaws for various reasons. Yet the biggest take away I got from the ones posted in recently: The EFI folders posted/linked are designed to be used after macOS has been installed from USB, but depending on the method in which the Installation media is created, you will undoubtly run into an issue.

Solution Part 2: ... I guess I'll start the rough draft of the 'XPS 9343 Mojave/Catalina Beta Guide' that deals with getting the OS installed here...

... This basic outline is to help you guys to get macOS Catalina Beta INSTALLED (Further fixes and a more complete guide to come later)...

Dell XPS 9434 | i5-5200U | HD5500 | QHD+ Touch | BIOS A19 | macOS Catalina Beta | Stock Hardware
  1. Create install media using Mac or VM... To get Catalina Public Beta. I set-up a Mojave VM using that VMWare Player floating around the the Mojave VM Guide sites.
    1. Don't login to iCloud in the VM... it might be more of a headache then its worth.
  2. Update the VM to latest Mojave...
  3. Sign-Up for public beta using the website.
  4. Follow the prompts... until you get the following window.
    1. View attachment 415952
  5. DO NOT HIT RESTART.
  6. Go to the Applications folder and you should see you have the 'Install macOS Catalina Beta'
  7. Go to disk utility prep the flash drive with HFJ and GUID... name it 'USB' for ease of use.
  8. Then run that run that terminal command all over the inter-webs...
    1. Bash:
      sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app --nointeraction
  9. Alright now while thats going on, lets prep that laptop.
  10. Update Dell's Bios to A19 (you can update the bios without needing windows, instructions somewhere on their site) and hit 'Load Default' and Verify/Set the following settings:
    • General
      • > Advanced Boot Configuration
        • Check: Enable Legacy Option ROMs
    • System Configuration
      • > USB Configuration
        • Check: Enable Boot Support
        • Check: Enable External USB Port
        • Uncheck: Enable USB3.0 Controller
          • I always stick to USB2.0 until I have successfully installed any OS lol
      • > USB PowerShare
        • Uncheck: Enable USB PowerShare
    • Security
      • > PTT Security
        • Uncheck: Intel Platform Trust Technology
      • > CPU XD Support
        • Check: Enable CPU XD Support
    • Secure Boot
      • > Secure Boot Enabled
        • Select: Disabled
    • Performance
      • > Multi Core Support
        • Check: Enable Multi Core Support
      • > Intel SpeedStep
        • Check: Enable Intel SpeedStep
      • > C-States Control
        • Uncheck: C states
      • > Intel Turboboost
        • Check: Enable Intel TurboBoost
      • > HyperThread control
        • Select: Enabled
    • Power Management
      • > AC Behavior
        • Uncheck: Wake on AC
      • Auto On Time
      • > USB Wake Support
        • Uncheck: Enable USB Wake Support
      • > Wake on WLAN
      • > Block Sleep
        • Check: Block Sleep (S3 State)
    • POST Behavior
      • > Fastboot
        • Thorough
    • Virtualization Support
      • > Virtualization
        • Uncheck: Enable Intel Virtulization Technology
      • > VT for Direct I/O
        • Uncheck: Enable VT for Direct I/O
  11. Go back to Mac...
  12. Install Clover Configuator...
  13. Use that to grab the Clover package because you should always use the latest stable drivers from the latest clover build and the latest kexts whenever you work on a Hackintosh setup for the latest version of macOS; at least that is what I think lol.
    • NOTE 1: Clover r4988 Stable was released today 7/11/19 a little after 12am EST
    • NOTE 2: Clover r4988 has a different folder stucture, my EFI folder follows that structure
  14. Once USB is ready...
  15. Run the clover package...
    1. View attachment 415957
  16. Now using my EFI folder as reference!! Select the same drivers I have in my Drivers/UEFI folder...
    1. NOTE: Use FakeSMC.kext+SMCHelper.efi and do not use VirtualSMC.kext + virtualsmc.efi + SMCBatteryManager.kext. (I didn't do a test with the only change being VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC... so it may work?? I'll do testing later)
  17. Then continue with the prompts.
  18. Now go to EFI partition and delete the generated config.plist and put mine in that spot.
    1. [To Do] Explain why each point is selected...
  19. Open the config.plist from the USB.
  20. Ensure that you generate a new Serial Number in SMBIOS.
  21. Look at the list of Kexts I have included in the files provided, and install those using 'Kexts Installer' from Clover Configator...Use the files provided as a reference!Notice that I am NOT using USBInjectAll because I ran into a bunch of tiny issues...Probably due to some XHCI to XHC that I needed to do, thankfully we turned off USB3.0 from the BIOS :)... ALSO You will not find the following files in the Kexts Installer:
    1. BrcmFimewareRepo.kext - get latest from Rehab Man
    2. BrcmPatchRAM2.kext - get latest from Rehab Man
    3. VoodooPS2Controller.kext - get latest from Rehab Man
      1. NOTE: Read all Rehab Mans readme, you don't have to fully understand it... but read it :). After you read it, continue
      2. NOTE: BrcmFirmwareRepo and BrcmPatchRAM2's joined readme states that BrcmFirmwareRepo can not be injected without further changes, but BrcmFirmwareData can be injected... I ran into issues with the BrcmFirmwareData when attempting to setup a desktop Hackintosh a 2 months ago (unreported cause I didn't end up 100% confirming that was causing the issue... so your mileage may vary if you follow the readme vs this guide).
      3. NOTE: [To Do] Explain injection vs installing kexts post-install, provide link...
      4. NOTE: BrcmFirmwareRepo and BrcmPatchRAM2 will be used later for 'Post Install' fixes to enable bluetooth...so still get the files, place them in the kexts folder if you want... they won't load during boot anyway... just keep them quickly accessible. [Great example of using other people's EFI as references rather then go right to CTRL-C and CTRL-V (Will always stand by my belief that this is how one should copy and paste. Pinky + Pointer > Thumb + Pointer) :)]
  22. Now that the USB is prepped. We are ready to start the install process...
    1. NOTE: Since this thread has a lot of references to installation creation tools like unibeast or that random one that blocks the FS conversion to APFS for Mojave, some of the following steps might look different to those on this thread having trouble especially...
  23. Now...take usb...insert into xps...boot to USB on the XPS.
  24. Select the 'Install macOS from macOS Installer'
  25. Wait a few minutes until you get to the install macOS..Disk Utility... selection screen.
  26. Go to disk utility (Remember to 'Show All Devices' in the Disk Utility. I forgot to use Show All Devices and spun in circles for 30 minutes) 'Erase' the drive you want the OS on using the typical settings... APFS.. GUID...
  27. Then close disk utility... go to Install MacOS and continue as normal.
  28. After a few minutes, your computer should either be completely off, or back in Clover or if you installing somewhere other than the internal drive... just make sure you are back in Clover before moving on.
  29. Notice that you have 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot' as an option now, based on Clover settings or installer creation tools you may not have seen this before.
  30. Run that... eventually some text will quickly pop-up alluding to an error, then your computer will restart or turn off...
    1. [To Do] Determine why this happens, i think its trying to reboot on purpose, but there is probably a setting in Clover that handles this.
  31. Boot back into Clover (if your not already there now). Run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot' again!...
    1. NOTE: You may be waiting a long time for this to complete... that is normal, it is the longest part I faced.
  32. Once its completed you should be back in Clover (or computer off... or inside an OS... make your way back to Clover).
  33. Now you have a couple of more options for where to boot into, as a quick sanity check, double check you see atleast the following 4 options.
    1. Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina Beta
    2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
    3. Boot Recovery from Recovery
    4. Boot macOS from macOS
  34. Now select 'Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot'
    1. Now just wait a few minutes...
  35. Time to set-up your system.
  36. If you generated your own serial number, and verified uniqueness you can sign-in to your apple id. [To Do] Explain this further...
  37. Now you we have a few more Post-Install fixes to get through...

Anyway I hope this helps for now. Seeing how this thread seems to be the only active Thread of XPS 9343 Hackintosh with important bits of information stuck in-between 50+ pages of posts, I will move this to a better place once I solve the remaining issues.

Nice work! Disabling PTT certainly helps the APFS cause!

• Track Pad Gestures (You can move and click and two finger right click for now)

By the way, you can use 3 finger gestures by setting the appropriate keyboard shortcuts in the preference panel.

Instead of a long post, I edited this heavily to help solve the common problems faced across the 50+ pages of posts.

Quick Fix:

I have included my attached EFI and install instructions for the following XPS 9343 config:

Dell XPS 9343 | i5-5200U | QHD+ | BIOS A19 | Catalina Public Beta

Following items need fixing:

• Keyboard Shortcuts
  • More customization options on trackpad
  • More patches for renaming more APCI...I plan to create a guide using Open Core probably after the next Public Beta release.
  • Audio (well mine works, but I think I used a random firmware installer from a random EFI on Github... but it sucks away since the bass is all messed up, probably something that I won't bother attempting to fix until much later)

Install Instructions for using my Attached EFI:

0. Set-up macOS Installer using the vanilla way... Below is the Terminal command for Catalina Beta. Then mount the EFI of the installer place the EFI folder attached into the mounted EFI. Then the most important step, open the config.plist file using Clover Configurator and make sure to hit the 'Generate New' button in the SMBIOS section so your iMessage works properly.

Bash:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[USB NAME] --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app --nointeraction

1. Boot into Clover and select 'Install macOS from macOS Installer'
2. Set up your partition using Disk Utility... you can use APFS (Remember to use the 'Show All Devices' from that dropdown.
3. Then run the macOS Installer... and eventually your system will need to reboot/turn off.
4. Once back in Clover run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'... eventually your system will reboot/turn off, due to an error.
5. Go back into Clover and run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot' again!
6. Ensure the following items are listed as Clover entries after the restart.

• Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina Beta
  • Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
  • Boot Recovery from Recovery
  • Boot macOS from macOS
6. Now finally, run 'Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot'.
7. Now you can finally run 'Boot macOS from macOS'
Clover finally loads all drivers !
̶b̶̶u̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶n̶̶f̶̶i̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶o̶̶r̶̶k̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶o̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶e̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶f̶̶t̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶e̶̶l̶̶e̶̶c̶̶t̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶s̶̶t̶̶a̶̶l̶̶l̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶c̶̶r̶̶e̶̶e̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶j̶̶u̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶u̶̶r̶̶n̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶l̶̶a̶̶c̶̶k̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶e̶̶v̶̶e̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶b̶̶o̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶p̶̶p̶̶e̶̶n̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶f̶̶f̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶p̶̶u̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶f̶̶f̶̶e̶̶r̶̶n̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶r̶̶a̶̶p̶̶h̶̶i̶̶c̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶a̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶a̶̶u̶̶s̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶r̶̶o̶̶b̶̶l̶̶e̶̶m̶̶s̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶i̶̶l̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶r̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶f̶̶f̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶n̶̶f̶̶i̶̶g̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶r̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶e̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶a̶̶m̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶s̶̶t̶̶a̶̶l̶̶l̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶o̶̶o̶̶t̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶:̶̶d̶
I was just a little bit to impatient. Your config works fine, it just wondered why nothing is happening on the screen but after a while the installer booted. Stay patient it takes quite some time !

Last edited:
If you want to improve the scrolling experience, you can tweak the MultiFingerVerticalDivisor and MultiFingerVerticalDivisor settings in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist. I've set mine to 7 for faster scrolling on the trackpad.

Did anyone of you tried useing sidecar? I get a timeout, everytime i‘m trying to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back