Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a guide for the Dell XPS 13 9343 (2015 Model), it is a work in progress but the information contained should get you to a working install of macOS.
My aim with this configuration is to keep it as simple as possible, nothing unnecessary is installed and everything is kept clean and as close to stock as feasible without impacting usability.

0. Bios settings

Disable secure boot
Disable Virtualisation options and C-State.
Enable Legacy mode (if its disabled u will have garbled screen with your graphic enabled)

Install MAC OS X Sierra to Dell 9343 Bios A07

Before installation, it is recommended to change the BIOS DVMT pre-alloc variables as outlined in http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...hd-graphics-5500-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3-a.html.

1. DELL PREALLOC DVMT (BIOS A07)

Bios download
http://www.dell.com/support/home/hr/en/hrbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=28M21

To do this it is best to first create bootable USB in step 2 , then change EFI folder with mine and u will have Uefi shell for dell

a. in EFI\CLOVER\tools rename shell64U.efi to shell64U.efi_old
b. in EFI\CLOVER\tools rename dell64.efi to shell64U.efi
c. boot clover then go to shell -> u must get black command line screen ( if u get yelow one uefi shell comands bellow will not work !!)

d. enter just 2 red commands below but be carefull to do characters right :

UEFI SHELL (grub) window

Code:
setup_var 0x183 0x3
setup_var 0x183 0x3

old values shoud be reported as below ( this is for reference only )

Code:
setup_var 0x183 0x1
setup_var 0x183 0x1

If the commands are applied succesfully u now have DVMT prealloc

2. Create bootable usb with mac os installation i used vmware and el capitan to create bootable usb
UniBeast 7.0.1

Use my clover folder for boot and for installation after u create usb , but disable INJECT INTEL for sucesfull boot to installation (u can manualy disable this in clover menu options)
With inject Intel it will fail to start

3. Prepare EFI partition on a hard drive , and partitions for sierra and windows etc... (i had used Gparted , created 500mb efi partition and HSF+ partition for Mac OS and ntfs partition for windows)
Make sure u label a partiiton for efi to efi name.

4. Boot your Sierra instalation , install it let it boot for first time (remember inject intel disabled) , create account login to desktop.

5. Download Efi Mounter v3 from internet and copy to different usb and plug it in then run it.
Mount your efi partition where u will find my Apps and S L E folder, in apps folder open Kext Utility.app then wait for
finishes rebuild caches etc... Drag and drop all files in S L E folder to kext utility , wait for it to install.
When is over restart Mac OS , boot it still no inject intel. Let it boot to desktop again.

6. Graphic Part HD 5500
So in Sierra u need to apply a patch to get UHD screen working so u need to enter in terminal this commands below

TERMINAL APPLY 4K UHD fix

Code:
sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

7. Restart Mac and now leave it to boot with inject Intel , u shoud have graphics enabled and wireless should be enabled also sound.

If your sound stop to work reaplay AppleHDADisabler.kext and VoodooHDA.kext and restart machine.

ADD ONS - fixes

SIERRA Graphics 10.12

If u want to enable graphics on Sierra okey u need to do DVMT but after that i use this to get stuff going:

CLOVER:

Platform ID

Code:
        <key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0x16260002</string>

Framebuffer

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Siera Grafika</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                iUXIOcd2Tw==
                </data>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.12</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer </string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                iUXIOcfrTwA=
                </data>
            </dict>

IO Glitch Fix

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>glitch</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AQAAdSU=
                </data>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.12</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AQAA6yU=
                </data>
            </dict>

Important stuff is Match OS string to be on 10.12 ( that was the fix to start things roling :p )

CLOVER CONFIGURATOR how to setup :)

Captur_Files.jpg

Captur_Files_1.jpg

Captur_Files_2.jpg

TERMINAL APPLY 4K UHD fix 10.12

Code:
sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

WIRELESS BCM4360 SIERRA 10.12 / 10.12.1

Reference site i used :

To get wireless working i use this fix below :

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360 - PCI Error 2</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                QQ+3zTnBdQw=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                QQ+3zTnBZpA=
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Siera Grafika</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                iUXIOcd2Tw==
                </data>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.12</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer </string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                iUXIOcfrTwA=
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360 - PCI Error 3</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g33EBHQG
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g33EBGaQ
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                gflSqgAAdSk=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                gflSqgAAZpA=
                </data>
            </dict>

This shoud work on 10.12 and 10.12.1 , also in my S L E folder u have kext to get wiffi on.

TRACKPAD PREFPANE SIERRA PATCHED

If u want to get your trackpad working u need to change .prepane file with this one below

It shoud be here : ~/Library/PreferencePanes

To get all stuff visible enter this into terminal :

Code:
sudo chflags -R nohidden /*

Now go to finder and in window go to enter : / (find corresponding folder and do the change)

Prefpane Download

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8r6ew57721w5r82/macOS+Sierra+patched+Trackpad+prefPane.zip

FYI , all that stuff also didnt work right from the start i remove some kext reaply them and also rebuild kextcaches few times if i had a problem eq. wifi started to work after 2 or 3 caches clearing.

Ok so for now this is what i did to get most of stuff working, will post an update when i do DSDT and SSDT patches and other kext to get stuff working.

All of this is not my work i gather information all across the forumes on the internet so i will post that later so u all can also get some better info how to get all the stuff working for your Dell.

STUFF where i get a lot of kexts tools etc....

Credits:
maxexcloo,bynce, Helicos, ic3dm4n, insanelydeepak, RehabMan, toleda
Many amazing people's work is contained in these threads and they were invaluable in solving issues I encountered!
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dell-xps-13-2016-9350.204069/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dell-xps-13-9350-cant-install.184597/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9350-skylake.202854/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-skylake-gtx960m-ssd-via-clover-uefi.192598/

Attachments

• EFI by K.zip
    25 MB · Views: 2,493
  • config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,315
  • EFI Mounter v3.app.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 717
  • hd5500.jpg
    hd5500.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,216
  • wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,993
Last edited:
Thank You for doing this, I will try this guide tonight or tomorrow. Before, I was never able to get things to work properly and was only able to have it boot to the OS, but then it would hang or freeze after 5 minutes or something crucial would not work.

I'm excited to see your work with DSDT patching and explanation on how to do it on this machine, wish you the best luck!

Just followed all your steps and everything is working beautifully!! WiFi, Battery, Sound, and Function keys are all working as expected. Only problem I'm having now is adjusting the brightness of the display. It seems macOS doesn't recognize the display since in the system settings there is no brightness adjuster.

Just followed all your steps and everything is working beautifully!! WiFi, Battery, Sound, and Function keys are all working as expected. Only problem I'm having now is adjusting the brightness of the display. It seems macOS doesn't recognize the display since in the system settings there is no brightness adjuster.

i will try to check that later to see what can be done about that , it regards dstd patching and will look up that in the weekend

Last edited:
Hey kajkac, I followed your guide today, thanks to you everything seems to be working somewhat good! However, I was a little confused on part with EFI partition by using gpart, like which format should that partition be in and what do we have to do with it after? I was also confused on how to install Clover boot loader on that EFI partition, but I kind of did it, I think, I then copied your EFI folder into it again and that's what I'm using now without any modifications. Now the only thing is to fix brightness adjuster somehow and the computer also doesn't wake up easily after a screen shut off after you stop using it for some time, when the screen does turn on, the trackpad doesn't work. Also the trackpad menu in Settings is completely blank, so I cannot enable Tap To Click. I also have a problem where the system wouldn't boot from the first try, there is like a 30-50% chance that it will just reboot until it finally does boot through.

Anyways, thank you!

Last edited:
i followed the steps but whenever i choose the installer i get the APPLE logo followed by a restart
no charging no error just a restart every time

i followed the steps but whenever i choose the installer i get the APPLE logo followed by a restart
no charging no error just a restart every time
I had this happening as well, I had to go back to BIOS change a setting or two, then exit, have it restart and try booting Installation or macOS itself (it happened both ways) to boot it, but there is like a 60% chance that it won't, so yea just keep trying and make sure you copied his EFI folder and that you also disable Intel graphics injection.

You could also enable verbose mode to see what's happening.

I had this happening as well, I had to go back to BIOS change a setting or two, then exit, have it restart and try booting Installation or macOS itself (it happened both ways) to boot it, but there is like a 60% chance that it won't, so yea just keep trying and make sure you copied his EFI folder and that you also disable Intel graphics injection.

alright i'll try to do it and i'll post the results, thank you.

Still nothing same problem

alright now it's working fine, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back