Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out the patch I used was the same, just mislabeled.

So I got the DSDT compiled and the VoodooI2C kexts installed in my Clover kext directory (as per VI2C website suggestion) but the trackpad doesn't react.

Turns out the patch I used was the same, just mislabeled.

So I got the DSDT compiled and the VoodooI2C kexts installed in my Clover kext directory (as per VI2C website suggestion) but the trackpad doesn't react.
hmmm, under IOREG, it should look like this.
Try to use windows 8 for your dsdt
I installed the kexts directly to Library/Extension instead of EFI/CLOVER/Kexts

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 18.51.26.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 18.51.26.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 161
Quick question, does anyone here with working hackintosh has display monitor output? I can't seem to find a way to use my mini display port, I've double checked my ioreg I didn't change anything, and connector type is 00 04 00 00 according to ioreg, which is DisplayPort connector Type.
I did try uninstalling everything, even installed windows to only check the hdmi (after installing graphic drivers). No luck

now in mojave, if I try to plug a minidisplay to external Monitor, I got a lag which I think it indicates that my xps and monitor are connected. but no signal is detected. I'm afraid my board is just broken, but why? I had everything runs smoothly until i decided to try installing vanilla (which was actually not a good decision, because the I2C became unusable by disabling PTT in bios)

macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
Instead of a long post, I edited this heavily to help solve the common problems faced across the 50+ pages of posts.

Quick Fix:
Problem: Clover doesn't load when I am using APFS.EFI (or w.e. its called)
Solution: I went into the BIOS then to Security -> PTT Security and disabled 'Intel Platform Trust Technology'.

I have included my attached EFI and install instructions for the following XPS 9343 config:

Dell XPS 9343 | i5-5200U | QHD+ | BIOS A19 | Catalina Public Beta

Following items need fixing:

• Keyboard Shortcuts
  • More customization options on trackpad
  • More patches for renaming more APCI...I plan to create a guide using Open Core probably after the next Public Beta release.
  • Audio (well mine works, but I think I used a random firmware installer from a random EFI on Github... but it sucks away since the bass is all messed up, probably something that I won't bother attempting to fix until much later)

Install Instructions for using my Attached EFI:

0. Set-up macOS Installer using the vanilla way... Below is the Terminal command for Catalina Beta. Then mount the EFI of the installer place the EFI folder attached into the mounted EFI. Then the most important step, open the config.plist file using Clover Configurator and make sure to hit the 'Generate New' button in the SMBIOS section so your iMessage works properly.

Bash:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[USB NAME] --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app --nointeraction

1. Boot into Clover and select 'Install macOS from macOS Installer'
2. Set up your partition using Disk Utility... you can use APFS (Remember to use the 'Show All Devices' from that dropdown.
3. Then run the macOS Installer... and eventually your system will need to reboot/turn off.
4. Once back in Clover run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'... eventually your system will reboot/turn off, due to an error.
5. Go back into Clover and run 'macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot' again!
6. Ensure the following items are listed as Clover entries after the restart.

• Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina Beta
  • Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
  • Boot Recovery from Recovery
  • Boot macOS from macOS
6. Now finally, run 'Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot'.
7. Now you can finally run 'Boot macOS from macOS'

My config mirrors yours, save for having the i7-5500U (A19 BIOS, QHD+). I'm attempting to do a clean install with Mojave rather than Catalina. Did a vanilla install of Mojave's installer to a GUID formatted USB3 drive, mounted EFI and transferred your EFI folder into the USB drive's. Ejected, disabled Intel Platform Trust Technology, booted using UEFI. Clover boots without issue. I select Install macOS from macOS Installer', and have an issue each time that I believe it DVMT related.

With that said, did you modify your DVMT-prealloc prior to deployment? I'm getting a kernel panic (cpu 2 caller 0xfffff7f8445c9b4): "Panic on FB memory manager Init. Required stolen memory size (5872056) is higher than available in (33550336 bytes)\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUDrivers... each time I attempt to boot. Either way, appreciate the advice so far with this. No real need to attach my Clover folder since it's the same as yours.

Edit: Success.

Installed BIOS A07, changed DVMT-prealloc using this guide originally written for Sierra to setup_var 0x183 0x3, then uncommented ig-platform-id in your config.plist, and used Clover Configurator to generate a new serial in SMBIOS (though only serial, I didn't fill in all fields - figured I could just do this in Mojave before I use iMessage). Also went into the BIOS then to Security -> PTT Security and disabled 'Intel Platform Trust Technology'.

My installer was created using RehabMan's guide (Option 2 (GPT, one partition), built Mojave 10.14.6, UEFI-only), substituting your EFI folder.

Booted Clover, booted Install macOS Mojave. Partitioned SSD to single HFS+, installed. Rebooted back to Clover, booted from 2nd entry. Rebooted back to Clover, booted from 2nd entry again to finish install. Had 4 entries in Clover at this point. Ran macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot, which gave Error loading kernel cache (0xe) - I let this sit for an hour, as your instructions mentioned "eventually your system will reboot/turn off, due to an error." - however, nothing happened, so I manually rebooted. Ran macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot, same error as former. Manual reboot, ran Boot Filevault from Prebooter from Preboot. Arrived at macOS Welcome screen. Connected to wifi, skipped AppleID Sign In, made it to desktop successfully.

Booting from Clover USB is working great, but I'm still sorting out booting directly from the SSD after changing the SMBIOS using Clover Configurator in order to get iMessage functioning. Getting an IGPU Graphics driver failed to load: cloud not register with Frambuffer driver halt for the time being.

Edit 2: Installed Clover to HDD again, mounted the computer's EFI, then re-copied the Clover folder (including my/your config.plist) to it. Now booting successfully. Also restored a Time Machine backup from a real Mac. Got an error with iCloud when first loading in after restoring, but after a reboot iMessage and Photos was working great. Last thing to solve is sound (getting the X symbol on the on-screen display when attempting to adjust), everything else is functioning as expected.

Last edited:
I've upgraded from Catalina Beta 2/3 to Beta 8 and now I'm unable to reach the login screen.
I see a screen resolution change happening where the boot logo is supposed to start fading into
the login screen but stays at a garbled static screen.
Any idea how to proceed here?

hi guys, any updates/experiences to share regarding the upgrade to catalina? thanks

hi, my installation Catalina 10.15.1 work well . I have dual boot with Mojave (for testing partition apfs but all work well) and same clover folder . all kext on efi/clover/other for blouethoot only injector

Hi Guys .. not very sure if we have definitive guide updated as the very first post. Pls assist. It still says the below.

"This is a guide for the Dell XPS 13 9343 (2015 Model), it is a work in progress but the information contained should get you to a working install of macOS. "

Im using the great guide that was posted on page 54 using 1.15.1 but when I try to boot to the installer it reboots randomly. I cant get a change to take a glimpse at the text that is being displayed so I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening?

Fixed my problem, the DVMT pre-alloc wasn't done correctly for me. Not quite sure why tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back