Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

mmm.. not AppleUSBVideo.kext problem, i've changed the kext from Mavericks but still the led issue..

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Hi All,
I've been following along and this thread has helped me tremendously! I've got an XPS 12 9Q33 which looks to be pretty similar to the XPS 13 here. A couple things that have helped me, in case they prove to be helpful:

My sleep has been relatively consistent even with my machine awake for more than 2.5 hrs without sleeping. What I ended up doing is unloading the USB kexts upon sleep and reloading them upon wake. Something like this:

Code:
#Sleep:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCI.kext

#Wake:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCI.kext

To make this simpler, I downloaded the sleepwatcher application:

http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/

And added these commands to the /etc/rc.sleep and /etc/rc.wakeup configs. This seems to work for me pretty well.

As an added bonus, reloading AppleUSBXHCI.kext also resets the Webcam LED after using it, in case that annoys anyone like it annoys me.

Has anyone verified that using the BTFirmwareUploader is causing problems in 10.10?

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

yeah im not absolutley sure if bluetooth is to blame the crashes, but after the first crash (not sure about the error) there was an error entry about the bluetooth device. Im not sure about the connection type, or what connection type osx recognize. As is said i removed the kext completely and wait for an update.

Lyrex, can you give BrcmPatchRAM a try for enabling your bluetooth?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...ware-into-broadcom-bluetooth-usb-devices.html

I am very curious if it resolves your problem. Note that its currently only configured for Bluetooth device 0930:223, but I can add your device if necessary.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Lyrex, can you give BrcmPatchRAM a try for enabling your bluetooth?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...ware-into-broadcom-bluetooth-usb-devices.html

I am very curious if it resolves your problem. Note that its currently only configured for Bluetooth device 0930:223, but I can add your device if necessary.

As stated in your thread linked above, it works perfect for me with the same card as Lyrex.

For the XPS13 users in this thread who replaced their WLAN card with a BCM94352Z, please help test this kext too; it is plug and play for us and seems to work great (stable, works after sleep) based on my limited testing. Report in the thread linked above to let the-darkvoid know how it's working for you. Thanks.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Hi All,
I've been following along and this thread has helped me tremendously! I've got an XPS 12 9Q33 which looks to be pretty similar to the XPS 13 here. A couple things that have helped me, in case they prove to be helpful:

My sleep has been relatively consistent even with my machine awake for more than 2.5 hrs without sleeping. What I ended up doing is unloading the USB kexts upon sleep and reloading them upon wake. Something like this:

snip

Has anyone verified that using the BTFirmwareUploader is causing problems in 10.10?

Thanks for the heads up on the USB drivers nuudles. I haven't had a chance to test your suggestions but I'm currently experimenting with the MEI driver as linux users have nailed down the same symptoms on this laptop to an issue with the MEI kernel module. It's a little trickier to disable the MEI driver in OSX since it's bundled with the AppleIntelFrameBufferAzul kext but I've now patched my way out of this pickle. I just need to do some more testing to confirm it's working on OSX - since I need to wait 3 hours before I can test, it's not progressing very fast...
(if anyone's curious, here's the linux kernel bug tracker entry: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86241 - many thanks to Vincent for compiling dozens of linux kernels until he isolated the breaking commit).

With regards to bluetooth, assuming you're using a broadcom card, you should try the new open source kext from the-darkvoid linked above. Depending on which BT device you're using, you may need to get the appropriate firmware from the broadcom win drivers, but it's well worth it as it seems very stable and will likely be more actively developped/maintained than the old firmware uploader.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Hey vbo,

ill test the kext this evening. I was busy the last days

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Thanks for the heads up on the USB drivers nuudles. I haven't had a chance to test your suggestions but I'm currently experimenting with the MEI driver as linux users have nailed down the same symptoms on this laptop to an issue with the MEI kernel module. It's a little trickier to disable the MEI driver in OSX since it's bundled with the AppleIntelFrameBufferAzul kext but I've now patched my way out of this pickle. I just need to do some more testing to confirm it's working on OSX - since I need to wait 3 hours before I can test, it's not progressing very fast...
(if anyone's curious, here's the linux kernel bug tracker entry: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86241 - many thanks to Vincent for compiling dozens of linux kernels until he isolated the breaking commit).
It works!
Short story: I just pushed the patch mentioned above to github (https://github.com/vbourachot/Dell-...mmit/72e2dbb81264643a9bdb1a4463b3de42c4a7692b) - confirmed sleep is fixed with 3 successful sleep periods after 3+ hours of uptime each. Will appreciate any feedback if it works or doesn't for you guys.

Long story: So as mentioned above, the same symptoms on this laptop in linux were nailed down to an issue with the Intel MEI module in the kernel. The patch I just pushed to github basically stops the OS X MEI driver as soon as it starts. This is the next best thing to unloading it since the driver is part of the framebuffer kext and we obviously need that one.

When using this patch, this is what you should see in your ioreg:
Code:
$ ioreg | grep MEI
    | |   +-o IMEI@16  <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001b6, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (40 ms), retain 9>
    | |   | +-o AppleIntelMEIDriver  <class AppleIntelMEIDriver, id 0x1000002cd, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 4>
Note the NOT registered, NOT matched statuses for the driver, even though it is attached to the MEI device. With the driver in this state, I can sleep and wake regardless of how long the machine has been up prior.

I have not seen any issues with running OSX with MEI disabled in this fashion (QE/CI is running fine). However it is so tightly integrated with the framebuffer (i.e. it is not meant to be a separate module as in linux, and OSX is not meant to be running without it) that there might be issues. Please report if anything is not working with this patch enabled.

For an example of what I mean above, this message will now show up in your syslog on boot:
Dec 6 18:17:44 localhost kernel[0]: DRMStatus: iTunes/Apple Store Content Access Problem. Content playback may be disabled on this computer. You can continue to use the machine, but you should contact an Apple support representative. ErrorCode: 8877652
(geek note: this is triggered by AppleMEClientController::whineAboutMEDriver() ... someone got that right)
However, I have not had any issue logging in to Apple Store and accessing previous purchases. I do not buy my music on itunes so I do not know if this patch really creates an issue with the DRM engine. I've had no problem listening to itunes radio, but it very well might break some other DRM protected media. In that case, one would have to temporarily remove the patch to re-enable the MEI driver. There might be other stuffs which this patch breaks, but I haven't had any issues so far.
As far as I'm concerned, finally being able to close the lid on the laptop without worrying if it's going to lockup or not greatly outweighs any potential issue with apple software.

Intel open source engineers are looking into the MEI module in linux to try to identify/fix this bug. If they come up with something that can be ported to OSX, I'll update the patch.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

HI,

I have been following this thread for a while during my wait for a brand new Dell XPS13 (New work computer, replacing an old HP Elitbook 2560p/Win7).

I plan to use my new XPS as a “production” laptop so it has to be stable as a rock (or atleast on pair with a windows7 machine :) )

So here we go, I have replaced the wificard with a BCM94352Z. And followed the excellent guideline provided here! Kudos!

One of my first (1), issues is the Chapter 5.7, the ssdtPRGen script. How can I get all the information I need to run this? What is the downside by skipping this part?

If someone can guide me I would appreciate it. My CPU is :

I7-4510U @ 2.00Ghz
CPU ID 40651
L1 Cache 32kb
L2 256kb
L3 4096kb

Second (2) issue is the sleep/shutdown after 2,5h. How do I apply the latest MEI patch?

Third (3) is I can’t get Appstore to work, as I understood it, using the broadcom wifi it should be a smooth ride? But no luck for me. Any clues?

Fourth (4) Terrible sound from headphone socket.. I guess this is known an not solved yet.

Fifth (5) iMessage and FaceTime does not work. I guess there are som work going on in this area.

PS, Bluetooth works as a charm with latest BrcmPatchRam!:headbang:

/DS

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

One of my first (1), issues is the Chapter 5.7, the ssdtPRGen script. How can I get all the information I need to run this? What is the downside by skipping this part?
Second (2) issue is the sleep/shutdown after 2,5h. How do I apply the latest MEI patch?
Third (3) is I can’t get Appstore to work, as I understood it, using the broadcom wifi it should be a smooth ride? But no luck for me. Any clues?
Fourth (4) Terrible sound from headphone socket.. I guess this is known an not solved yet.
Fifth (5) iMessage and FaceTime does not work. I guess there are som work going on in this area.
/DS

Welcome aboard!
1/ You don't need any specific info. Follow the github readme to download the script and then just run it. Follow the on screen prompts, and if I remember correctly it will output a ssdt.aml on your desktop. Copy it in the proper EFI folder (CLOVER/acpi/patched) and you're good to go. Downsides are too many to list (broken sleep, no speedstep, etc..)
2/ You can update your local copy of the repo with:
Code:
git pull
Then just copy the updated config.plist to your EFI partition.
3/ Odd. Do you get an error message? Did you use usb wifi/lan for a while before replacing your wifi card?
4/ Yeah, haven't had time to work on it since I was focusing on the sleep/shutdown issues.
5/ Seems like Apple tightened their checks recently. The 'How to fix iMessage' thread is the best source of info for this. Since this is not an issue specific to this machine, any fix you find in that thread will work for this laptop too, although AFAIK there's no real clean fix at this time.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Many thanks!

Ok, the SSDT patch was easier than I thought running the script with -h first time. So now it's done! I also did the update to get the sleep +2,5h fix. I guess I will notice tomorrow if it worked or not :)

For the Appstore issue. I did the actual OS installation with the old Intel card in the laptop and replaced it after a few reboots. I get the "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance"

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? My wifi card is at en1: if that makes any difference?

/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back