Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Yes i do.

• the output of 'ls -lRa /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_ALC668.kext'
  • the file /var/log/system.log
  • a screenshot of About this Mac >> System report >> Extensions with the 2 AppleHDA entries selected (sample below).
  • the relevant info for where you patch layout-id 1 (dsdt patch or config.plist)
Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 3.42.53 PM.png

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

• the file /var/log/system.log
  • a screenshot of About this Mac >> System report >> Extensions with the 2 AppleHDA entries selected (sample below).
  • the relevant info for where you patch layout-id 1 (dsdt patch or config.plist)
View attachment 111345

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 1.00.30 PM.pngView attachment Archive.zip

total 16
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 Nov 1 11:39 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 1 11:39 ..
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 4198 Nov 1 11:39 Info.plist
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 1 11:39 MacOS
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 Nov 1 11:39 Resources

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_ALC668.kext/Contents/MacOS:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 1 11:39 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 Nov 1 11:39 ..
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 64 Nov 1 11:39 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_ALC668.kext/Contents/Resources:
total 32
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 Nov 1 11:39 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 Nov 1 11:39 ..
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 9705 Nov 1 11:39 Platforms.xml.zlib
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 1899 Nov 1 11:39 layout1.xml.zlib

files are attached/

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

You have a bit of a mess going on here:
  • There is no sign of the AppleHDA patches in your config.plist
  • As you can see from the differences between your screenshot and mine, you're using a completely different AppleHDA_ALC668 than mine (created by mirone, based off AppleHDA 2.5.3 from Mavericks).
  • Your AppleHDA is the right version for Yosemite at least, but its signature is now invalid and it was last modified this morning, so who knows what changes are in there (it should be completely vanilla for this method to work)
  • You didn't reply as to how you inject layout-id 1, and I didn't see it in your config.plist (for reference, in this guide it is injected via the DSDT patch under patches/audio.txt)

My advice: start from scratch after deleting both AppleHDA*.kext you have in /S/L/E/ (hopefully you have a backup of the vanilla AppleHDA.kext). If you need more help after that, post in the ALC668 thread, I'll try to help you there - these issues you have are completely off topic wrt the xps 13.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

BCM94352Z wifi confirmed working with updated config.plist on github (needed to force another kext to load). Wifi also works when booting the installer/recovery partition since no dsdt patch is needed.
Bluetooth works with BluetoothFirmwareUploader kext.
First post updated appropriately.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Hey guys,
i found a weird problem. When the ac adapter is plugged in and the i close the lid, most times the laptop wont wake up again. Without ac adapter i think it almost works.

Any ideas? Do you need any outputs?

And i tried to make a new dsdt without my wifipatch but got an error while running make. I deleted your rep and cloned it again. Maybe there is an bug in your repo.
/usr/local/bin/iasl -ve -p build/dsdt.aml patched/dsdt.dsl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140627-64 [Jul 9 2014]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

patched/dsdt.dsl 76: External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0, UnknownObj)
Error 6074 - Name already exists in scope ^ (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0)

patched/dsdt.dsl 78: External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP, UnknownObj)
Error 6074 - Name already exists in scope ^ (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP)

ASL Input: patched/dsdt.dsl - 15483 lines, 480862 bytes, 5974 keywords

Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 51 Warnings, 83 Remarks, 189 Optimizations
make: *** [build/dsdt.aml] Error 255

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

And i tried to make a new dsdt without my wifipatch but got an error while running make. I deleted your rep and cloned it again. Maybe there is an bug in your repo.

Works fine here - retrace your steps.
Code:
victor@mba:~$ mkdir /tmp/git && cd /tmp/git/
victor@mba:/tmp/git$ git clone https://github.com/vbourachot/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch.git &>/dev/null
victor@mba:/tmp/git$ git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch.git&>/dev/null
victor@mba:/tmp/git$ cd ./Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch/
victor@mba:/tmp/git/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch$ make disassemble &>/dev/null && make patch &>/dev/null
victor@mba:/tmp/git/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch$ echo $?
victor@mba:/tmp/git/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch$ make
/usr/local/bin/iasl -ve -p build/dsdt.aml patched/dsdt.dsl

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20131115-64 [Dec  1 2013]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     patched/dsdt.dsl - 15472 lines, 480833 bytes, 5974 keywords
AML Output:    build/dsdt.aml - 61090 bytes, 1836 named objects, 4138 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 51 Warnings, 65 Remarks, 189 Optimizations
/usr/local/bin/iasl -ve -p build/ssdt5.aml patched/ssdt5.dsl

ASL Input:     patched/ssdt5.dsl - 3335 lines, 100172 bytes, 1969 keywords
AML Output:    build/ssdt5.aml - 13738 bytes, 235 named objects, 1734 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 2 Remarks, 12 Optimizations
/usr/local/bin/iasl -ve -p build/ssdt6.aml patched/ssdt6.dsl

ASL Input:     patched/ssdt6.dsl - 351 lines, 9268 bytes, 148 keywords
AML Output:    build/ssdt6.aml - 1472 bytes, 39 named objects, 109 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 5 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations
victor@mba:/tmp/git/Dell-XPS13-9333-DSDT-Patch$ ls -l ./build/
total 168
-rw-r--r--  1 victor  wheel  61090 Nov  5 19:01 dsdt.aml
-rw-r--r--  1 victor  wheel     29 Nov  5 19:00 readme.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 victor  wheel  13738 Nov  5 19:01 ssdt5.aml
-rw-r--r--  1 victor  wheel   1472 Nov  5 19:01 ssdt6.aml

WRT sleep, I haven't noticed any issues with sleep/wake/lid sleep/lid wake on either AC or battery. Check what is logged (if anything) in the system log (/var/log/system.log) when it doesn't wake up. You can also check if you can ping/ssh into the laptop after wake - maybe it's only a display/backlight issue. Finally, you can use the patch_debug rule in the Makefile to instrument the _WAK and _PTS DSDT methods, and trace their executions with RehabMan's ACPIDebug kext.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

Found your problem:
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140627-64 [Jul 9 2014]
You must have updated your version of iasl since you last disassembled your linux dump. The one I was using was from 2013-11-15 and it worked fine. However, I was able to reproduce your issue with newer versions of iasl. Turns out the disassembly is different:
Code:
Before update: External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0)
After update:  External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0, UnknownObj)
which broke one of my patches.

It's fixed now, just update your repo (only 1 file was changed, patches/syntax_dsdt.txt) and it will work fine.
Code:
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Oct 16 2014]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     patched/dsdt.dsl - 15449 lines, 480344 bytes, 5976 keywords
AML Output:    build/dsdt.aml - 61098 bytes, 1836 named objects, 4140 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 51 Warnings, 83 Remarks, 189 Optimizations

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

ah okay, yes it works now.
edit:
Now i am using the new dsdt and your config.plist, i got some fragments in the menu bar now, i red in the intel 4400/4600 thread that this problem is known. I changed the color profile to sRGB and now only in the login screen and when i switch to the second workspace, there are some artefacts at the hibernate button/menubar. I think there is now fix right now?
sleep/hibernate/wake works very smooth now, nearly perfect.

i think you got the new wifi card now right? When you send your laptop into sleep/hibernate a few times, bluetooth is not available anymore and i got 2 instant crashes cause bluetooth. Can you confirm this issue?

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

ah okay, yes it works now.
edit:
Now i am using the new dsdt and your config.plist, i got some fragments in the menu bar now, i red in the intel 4400/4600 thread that this problem is known. I changed the color profile to sRGB and now only in the login screen and when i switch to the second workspace, there are some artefacts at the hibernate button/menubar. I think there is now fix right now?
sleep/hibernate/wake works very smooth now, nearly perfect.
Yes, I think we already went through this in the previous thread, but I'll add a bit more here: it's a framebuffer issue. I have one artifact on the login screen near the sleep button with 0xa260006. No artifacts on any workspace once I'm logged in. I didn't need to set an sRGB profile either. My guess is that this would be a bigger issue for someone with auto login enabled.

If you want to fix it, you will need to look at the different framebuffers (and potentially patch one) in AppleIntelFramebufferAzul kext. This will help: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.sh
A good candidate would be 0xa2e000a, as it produces a completely artifact free experience - however as I indicated in the other thread, it breaks backlight after display sleep in Yosemite (was perfect in Mavericks). You can look at the differences (from memory, I think only the refresh rates and cursor bytes were different) and patch 0a260006 accordingly to see if it helps. I have some other ideas you could experiment with if you're interested.
I do not plan on trying to fix it - quite honestly, I do not care enough about the one glitch on the login screen to spend the time.

i think you got the new wifi card now right? When you send your laptop into sleep/hibernate a few times, bluetooth is not available anymore and i got 2 instant crashes cause bluetooth. Can you confirm this issue?
I wouldn't be surprised as I've seen a few reports that the the bluetooth firmware uploader kext isn't playing too nice with yosemite. Unfortunately, since the source is not available there's nothing we can do about it.
I downloaded the kext and tried it to report in this thread, but I removed it after testing. I don't use any bluetooth device, and I am personally not too keen on using a closed source kext (for both security and 'philosophical' reasons). I have a copy of it saved in case I ever need BT in a pinch, but I can't comment on stability.

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 13 9333

I have some other ideas you could experiment with if you're interested.
I do not plan on trying to fix it - quite honestly, I do not care enough about the one glitch on the login screen to spend the time.

Yeah share your ideas, i'll see if i can try sth. I would try too fix it, the main workspace works perfect, but it would be nice if i dont have any glitches when i switch the space.
I tried all ig-platform-id's i've found and there are only to which are "working". The two you posted above. I will compare the two framebuffers.

edit: damn man, after two crashes, caused by the damn bluetooth.kext, can't not boot into the system anymore and diskutil told me that my partition table is gone to the heaven... I recommend you to disable the kext and wait for an update. After reinstall i setted color profile to sRGB again and on both workspaces no artefacts! only at the sleep button (i think similar to yours).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back