Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Precision M6600 w/ FirePro M8900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @kakh2qp,

I also own an M6600 with a Quadro 3000M, but development was halted because of many of the reasons you outlined here. The Quadro 3000M only functions with the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS, so switching to MacBook Pro is not a solution. Again, El Capitan is not recommended at this time. It has several sleep and shutdown issues, as you have pointed out.

Regarding additional displays, this is an area I have not tackled with the Quadro 3000M. It's reasonable to expect that the VGA out will never function, but HDMI might be doable as well as DisplayPort. My machine is tied up elsewhere at the moment, or I'd throw the drive back in and take a gander at it this weekend.

Alternatively, you can disable your Quadro 3000M using RehabMan's DSDT disabler for discrete graphics and use the internal HD 3000. I've yet to attempt this myself, but it's possible to use the HD 3000 GPU by removing the MXM card, so disabling it should provide the same results.

-IC

Thank for your advance!
I will try to install 10.10.5 with Clover EFI and report soon.
Have a nice day!

Thank for your advance!
Have a nice day!

Good luck. If it helps, the attached config.plist should work for the Quadro machine (with some modifications, Inject NVIDIA instead of Inject ATI, remove Framebuffer patches from the KextsToPatch section, MacPro3,1 SMBIOS) and the DSDT should work fine. You've sparked my interest in solving these issues; I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Thank for your advance!
Have a nice day!

Hello @kakh2qp -

If you are still looking for solutions regarding your Quadro 3000 card, I have successfully gotten the Quadro to give me a proper display out using MacBookPro8,3 SMBIOS. This can be achieved by ADDING your board ID to AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext.

Browse to: /S*/L*/E*/AppleGraphicsControl.kext.

Make a copy of this kext somewhere (Desktop is good) then Show Package Contents to:

/C*/P*/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/C*/Info.plist.

Open the Info.plist with TextWrangler and add:

<key>Mac-94245A3940C91C80</key>
<string>none</string>

underneath the existing strings of Mac Board-ids.

Save changes, and re-install the ENTIRE AppleGraphicsControl.kext back to /S/L/E using kext installer (I use DPCI manager) and change your SMBIOS back to MBP8,3 and reboot.

Hi @InsaneCultist,

More than happy to see you again.

I tried to use 10.10 with my Nvidia path on DSDT + SMBIOS 3.1. It still problem like 10.11.
But if I change SMBIOS to 8.3. I can boot but stuck with black screen after boot done.
I bought a DP cable to hope it can run, but nothing happen.

About your great new:
Can I see your DSDT, config.plist and SSDT on your laptop with NVIDIA to compare what I miss.

Hi @InsaneCultist,

More than happy to see you again.

I tried to use 10.10 with my Nvidia path on DSDT + SMBIOS 3.1. It still problem like 10.11.
But if I change SMBIOS to 8.3. I can boot but stuck with black screen after boot done.
I bought a DP cable to hope it can run, but nothing happen.

About your great new:
Can I see your DSDT, config.plist and SSDT on your laptop with NVIDIA to compare what I miss.

Good to hear you haven't given up. I've been running some tests for the past few weeks, but I don't believe that the Quadro 3000M GPU will ever work properly in OS X. From what I have read, the sleep and display output issues we have are not fixable by known means. The proper way to get OS X running on the Quadro 3000M laptop would be to disable the discrete NVIDIA GPU with ACPI patches, but I'm encountering an issue with my machine where Optimus disables itself in the BIOS when I reboot with the HD3000 GPU. I will share my work here when I get a chance this weekend. I'm almost thinking it might be worth the investment to simply purchase another FirePro M8900 and use the guide step-by-step. They seem to run about $130 USD on Ebay.

EDIT:

I've attached my files to this post - the machine is booting using the integrated HD 3000 currently. Please note the patched AppleGraphicsControl.kext to allow booting with MacBookPro8,3 SMBIOS with the Quadro device. Also, please note that with the attached config.plist, "Inject NVIDIA" is disabled. You would need to change this should you want to try and use the Quadro device.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    34.2 KB · Views: 275
  • SSDT-6.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 272
  • AppleGraphicsControl.kext.zip
    178.5 KB · Views: 252
  • config.plist
    5.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Hi @InsaneCultist,

I try to boot to my 10.11 with your setup: DSDT, SSDT-6, config.plist and modify AppleGraphicsControl.
I also connect external display using DP.
Let's see my result. I think we found something new.

Edit:
Shutdown > ok,
Sleep > can't wake up from sleep (not important),
Two GPU are working in dual > like a champ!
VGA & built-in display on HD3000 > ok (but with FHD display it seem to weak),
DP with QD3000M > ok,
HDMI > no test.​

So problem now, Optimus auto disable.

Anw, I'm working on 10.11.3 with Clover EFI. You can change to 10.11 :D

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.27.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.27.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.27.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.28.47 AM.png

Last edited:
Hi @InsaneCultist,

I try to boot to my 10.11 with your setup: DSDT, SSDT-6, config.plist and modify AppleGraphicsControl.
I also connect external display using DP.
Let's see my result. I think we found something new.

Edit:
Shutdown > ok,
Sleep > can't wake up from sleep (not important),
Two GPU are working in dual > like a champ!
VGA & built-in display on HD3000 > ok (but with FHD display it seem to weak),
DP with QD3000M > ok,
HDMI > no test.​

So problem now, Optimus auto disable.

Anw, I'm working on 10.11.3 with Clover EFI. You can change to 10.11 :D

View attachment 204302 View attachment 204303 View attachment 204304 View attachment 204305

Interesting that both devices are working in tandem. That's quite a find. The reasoning for 10.10 is the sleep issues with AMD Radeon cards, but I suppose you are correct in it being ok to update, as this is an NVIDIA card. Yes, sleep is a big issue - glad that it does not matter for you. I'm unsure why the BIOS seems to revert after reboot. Very strange. I'll continue to look into it. Glad you have a (at least somewhat) working machine.

The Quadro 3000M card should also work fine alone (non-Optimus) with that patched AppleGraphicsControl. However, you'd need to inject NVIDIA in Config.plist. In addition, the Quadro card can only run 2 displays simultaneously - I wonder if this means we can triple display (internal off HD3000 and two off the Quadro)?

EDIT:
I've ordered an NVIDIA GTX 765M for a heck of a deal off Ebay. I hope this will suit my main M6600 so I can swap the Radeon card into this machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back