Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] DELL Optiplex 3020 Tower Mac OS X Mojave (Budget iMac Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a used Dell 3020 I5 4570 8Gb on ebay for $99 yesterday to use as a hackintosh and I will use this guide to install the MAC OS. Let's see what happens.

Because I have plenty time at home because the coronavirus, build a hackintosh for the first time it's a project.

I just got a used Dell 3020 I5 4570 8Gb on ebay for $99 yesterday to use as a hackintosh and I will use this guide to install the MAC OS. Let's see what happens.
You made a good choice. Should be a relatively easy hackintosh build. If you would finish filling out your hardware profile with the Dell system above that will help us all to know what you are using in future posts. Goes in the Mobo, CPU and graphics sections of your profile.

Screen Shot 34.jpg

Because I have plenty time at home because the coronavirus, build a hackintosh for the first time it's a project.
‘coronatosh’ I like it, tell me if u have any questions!

lol coronatosh.... that's a good one.
Thanks for the support. I will update this post as soon as possible.

Well... I just finished the coronatosh.
Thank you for the detailed instructions. The entire process took some time (less than 2 hours) but the machine runs very snap and good.
Here are a few pictures of the process. I suggest anyone to follow this guide if they want to built a 3020 "coronatosh" lol
0 (Medium).jpg
1 (1) (Medium).jpg
1 (2) (Medium).jpg
1 (3) (Medium).jpg
1 (5) (Medium).jpg
1 (6) (Medium).jpg
1 (8) (Medium).jpg
1 (12) (Medium).jpg
1 (13) (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
kext utility

Attachments

• 1 (11) (Medium).jpg
    1 (11) (Medium).jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 147
Thanks for the guide. I originally tried the vanilla build from r/hackintosh and I couldn't not for the life of me gt my video working with acceleration. It would show but only with 6MB of VRAM which is obviously not right. After about 20 some odd builds of with various EFI folders from all over the 'net, SMBIOS checks and so on and so forth I was about ready to turn it into yet another another linux box.

I tried your guide and more importantly UniBeast, and it works. Audio did not work. But I'd learned enough to know that voodoohda works to enable audio on my 3020, so I remove the one that you had and replaced it. Now I have sound.

The 3020 I have is the SFF model. I am debating on moving it to an ATX case, or getting the MT version and moving my SSD over. I'd like to install a GPU so I can run my 3 monitors from it. I'd like to replace my Windows PC (Thinkstation S30) with this. It uses far less electricity. But having 3 monitors is glorious and I won't go back. If anyone can recommend a GPU that "just works" please let me know. I'd be willing to spend around $250 or so.

@Temetka
I’m glad my guide could help!
I’ll see about voodoohda and update my guide.
About the gpu.
On my thread we’ve had someone try a 1050ti in this build with no luck, as well as an RX 580 again with no luck. (You can read those posts if your curious) However, we do know that the GT 710 works out of the box thanks to Pythagorean476. The 710 is a Kepler gen 2 card so in theory since it was supported natively. My Mac should accept cards of the same architecture all the way up to the gtx 780 ti, a far more powerful card.

Please let my know if you have any questions or if one of the graphics cards worked out for you.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back