Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] DELL Optiplex 3020 Tower Mac OS X Mojave (Budget iMac Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Optiplex 3020 (40DDP)
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[GUIDE] DELL Optiplex 3020 Tower Mac OS X Mojave (Budget iMac Build)

Image Credits: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...plex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/

Introduction: I have recently completed installing Mac OS Mojave on to a Mini Tower Dell Optiplex 3020. This is a quick and hopefully simple guide for you to create your own. It took me over 3 days of forum and guide searching and hardware swapping since there a no guides out there that give clear instructions of how to do this.

Recommendation
: Optiplex 3020 makes a very cheap well performing Hackintosh. It cost's around $120 on eBay (+$20 for SSD which I would highly recommend).
Additionally I have learned that the Nvidia GT 710 is natively supported on this build, so if you wish you can add this GPU (and probably any of the Kepler gen cards) to speed up PC or do some very light gaming.
+$40 for GT 710
dell-optiplex-3020-cpu-500x500.jpg
dell-3020-500x600.jpg

Instructions:

Before you begin! if you are using the built in HD4600 graphics make sure your monitor connection is using display port. Apple dropped support for VGA a while ago and your hackintosh will not work.
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.23.15 AM.png

Step 1: Creating Mojave USB Installer

The first step
is to create a bootable usb installer for your hackintosh. For this build we will be using UniBeast, a very easy tool to use. To do this get a USB flash drive with a capacity of 16GB or more. (I used 32GB.) Once you have plugged your USB drive in, go to Launchpad and type Disk Utility, press enter. Then click erase on your flash drive (make sure you have backed up any data you wish to keep). Title it however you'd like (it will be changed later) and Mac OS Extended Journaled and GUID.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.55.04 PM.png

The second step is to download the Mac OS installer app. Link: Get macOS Mojave (NOTE: You will need to have an Apple computer already to install the app, note that apple prevents downgrading from Mojave and above hence you will not be able to download this app if your apple computer already has Mojave or Catalina Installed. Here is a helpful guide to downgrade your existing apple computer enough to obtain the installer app: https://macpaw.com/how-to/downgrade-from-mojave

After you have finished downloading the installer. Make sure you have an icon like this in your applications folder. Next right click the icon, press "Get Info" and make sure it is above 5Gb (top left). If you get an installer that is around 22MB this will not work. Use this link to see how to get full version. http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download-full-macos-mojave-installer/
Related image

After
you finish downloading you will get a popup with a button that says continue. Close the app by going up to top left, click on the app name and click quit application.
Next you will want to download UniBeast for Mojave from tonymacx86.org. Link:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/unibeast-9-2-0-mojave.426/.
Double click the installer click "continue" a few times and "agree". Next click on your USB as the location, then Mojave app, then UEFI. Don't check any of the boxes unless you are using a graphics card (Normally Must be AMD Brand but there are some exceptions. Search for Mojave Hackintosh GPU compatibility if your interested) in your hackintosh. For this build we are using the integrated HD 4600 on the cpu (no drivers necessary). In the end your screen should look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 9.01.56 PM.png
Click continue and install. Keep in mind this process takes A WHILE. Be patient and try not to touch the USB stick or the laptop too much. In the end there will be a check mark and you can press "quit". Now your USB drive is set up with Mojave! Notice you will also have a drive called "EFI".

Step 2: Editing EFI Partition

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SNzuPE2_pzjmIGvqe46YzXQ0OfVTXrHx/view?usp=sharing
Now you are ready to edit the EFI Partition. First Download the zip file "EFI FOLDER OPTIPLEX 3020". Double click on the "EFI" Drive on your Desktop. Open the folder "EFI" and then "Clover". Go to ACPI -> Patched. Do the same on the EFI Folder Optiplex 3020. Now delete the existing .aml file(s) on your EFi Drive and replace it with the ones from the downloaded folder. Now go back to Clover, then to "Drivers64EUFI". (It might just be called "Drivers64" on your device.) Do the same on the downloaded folder. Delete existing files and replace them with the ones on the downloaded folder. Now go back to clover and go to "Kexts" and then to "Other". Do the same on downloaded folder. Delete existing .kexts from drive and replace them with ones from the downloaded folder. Finally go back to clover on both folders, and delete the config.plist on your drive and replace it with the one from the downloaded folder. Your EFI Drive should now look identical to the EFI Folder you downloaded.
Now eject the drive (hit eject all when prompted).

Step 3: Installing Mac OS on to Optiplex 3020

Now plug the USB drive into one of the front ports on your Optiplex PC. (I used the Mini Tower version, this should work on all form factors in theory- however, I have not tried it on any other form factors). Power on the Optiplex and hit the F2 key repeatedly until you are in the BIOS. Go to General -> Drives and check the boot in UEFI mode. Then click apply. The click Load Defaults, Yes, and restart your PC. Now when it boots hit the F12 key until you see a boot menu. Find your flash drive under UEFI and press enter on it. If you did everything correctly a menu should pop op with a Clover on it. Press space on the selected drive (should be "Install Mac OS from Install Mac OS."). Then press space and press enter to check the box next to "verbose -v", click down arrow and press enter. Now press "enter" on the drive icon. This Part will take a while and you will see a bunch of text scroll by on the screen. This means it's working. You will then see a menu like this:

42ADF8EB-F731-41B4-AC72-A91561E966A5.png
(Yes your screen will read "install" not "reinstall".)
Click on "Disk Utility" find your hard drive (Hopefully an SSD) make sure it is the right one by looking at the storage capacity. Now click erase and title it what you would like. (I titled it Hackintosh HD) Now click done and click on the red x to go back to the menu.

41E5ACDC-56DC-4152-9003-E10475D47C58.png
Now you can click: Install Mac OS. (Again, my screen reads “re-install”, yours will read “install“) Continue and Agree. Select the SSD you just formatted. And click "install" this will take a while and your PC will reboot multiple times. Each time it reboots press F12 and click on your USB. This time click "Install Mac OS from Hard Drive." Finally you will get to a setup screen. Once you are there select your preferences (Do not sign in with iCloud we will do this later press skip). Once you are at your desktop you are ready for the final step. (You will need Ethernet to setup Mac OS)

Step 4: Configuring your PC for Mac OS.

The first thing
to do when you get into Mac OS is click on launchpad (bottom left rocket icon) and type "terminal". Open terminal and type:

Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
This allows us to do alterations for the setup.
Close the terminal window and Download the Clover Bootloader:
Click continue on the installer until you get to "change location" Make sure to select your Hackintosh Hard Drive. Do not press continue. Instead click customize. Then Check 'Clover for UEFI booting only and Check Install clover in the ESP. Now go to the drop down menu of UEFI Drivers and check the following: AudioDxe DataHubDxe FSInject SMCHelp VBoxHfs ApfsDriverLoader AptioMemoryFix EmuVariableUefi OsxAptopFixDrv and PartitionDxe. In the end your bootloader will look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.16.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.16.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.17.03 PM.png

Click "install". When the process is complete you may exit the clover bootloader.
Next, we need to install the Kext Files from our EFI Folder to Our Hackintosh.
First, select all the kexts in the "other" forlder of your EFI Drive. Right click and select copy items. Paste these kexts on to your desktop.
We will now install these in two places. First, download KextBeast https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-2.399/

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.19.34 PM.png
Select Library/Extensions, and click continue. Keep in mind KextBeast installs ALL the Kext files from your desktop to you Library.
[
EDIT: The Following Step is not necessary, KextBeast rebuilds the caches automatically. I will keep this step in for those interested]

Next we need to rebuild the kernel caches. To do this download "KextUtility"
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1FRw16nzMHyjToINSqhFsZsFCpqC-3zfI
Simply run the kextutility app. DO NOT Drag and drop anything in the windows as it suggests. Let it run until you see a quit button and text saying the process is complete. This could take a while.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.58.46 PM.png

Next you will need to copy and paste all the kexts on your desktop to the Hard Drive EFI Folder.
Go to Finder preferences and check "hard disks".
Note that this is different from your usb drive EFI folder. To access the Hard Drive EFI Folder you will need a tool called EFI Mounter v3: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/
Run this tool, click allow, select the disk (usually disk1 or disk2 not 0). Click mount. If you chose the right disk a drive called "EFI" Will pop-up on your desktop. This drive will have the same icon as your internal hard drive.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 11.00.09 PM.png
Open the EFI folder within the drive, and do the same thing as you did in Step 2 (replace the ACPI Patched, the Kexts, the Driver64UEFI, and the Kexts.)
If you are using a dedicated AMD or NVIDIA Graphics card now is the time to install the web drivers for those cards.
You man now eject the flashdrive and reboot your pc. On the clover boot-loader select "boot Mac OS from Hard drive."

Step 5: iCloud Setup

If
you do not want to link your iCloud to this Hackintosh (yes, it's safe to do), you can consider your new Hackintosh all setup.
Install the latest Clover configurator from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/clover-configurator.429/
Once again mount the EFI Partition as in Step 4. This time right click the config.plist and select open with clover configurator. Now go to Rt Variables and use In the Rt Variables section - From the ROM dropdown list select UseMacAddr0
Then go to the SMBios and do the following: (select iMac 15,1 under "Select SMBios")
1574449593920.png

Then Click Check Coverage (lower right) Enter the Serial number you got (under system).
Put it into the serial number box and enter the ReCaptcha. If Apple says "serial number isn't valid" that means you can use your iCloud! If it brings up an image of an iMac go back to the Clover configurator and click generate new (also click generate new smUUID a few times after you have found a working serial number.
Go to file > Save and close the Configurator.

Reboot your system, make sure to eject and remove your flash drive at this time as well. When you log back in go to system preferences, search iCloud and log in there.

Now your all set up with your Hackintosh!
Please comment if this was helpful for you or if something didn't work. I will edit this tutorial when I receive my dedicated AMD GPU.
Thanks!

Again, some of the images used were taken from a similar guide for Optiplex 10 series. (Please note this guide will not work for 10 series, as neither will the 10 series guide for this one) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...plex-7010-9010-desktop-pc-revision-ii.251736/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.55.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.55.04 PM.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 456
  • CLOVER (3020).zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 741
  • KextBeastv2.0.2.zip
    325.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Kext Utility.zip
    286.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Clover_v2.4k_r4920.zip
    9 MB · Views: 346
Last edited:
BTW, in Step 4, you advise users to run Kext Utility, after running KextBeast, to rebuild the kernel caches. KextBeast does this automatically after putting the kexts in the chosen location. Consequently, you don't need to run Kext Utility after KextBeast.

However, Kext Utility is another good app to have in your Hackintosh folder as there are times that you do need to just rebuild the kernel caches.

BTW, in Step 4, you advise users to run Kext Utility, after running KextBeast, to rebuild the kernel caches. KextBeast does this automatically after putting the kexts in the chosen location. Consequently, you don't need to run Kext Utility after KextBeast.

However, Kext Utility is another good app to have in your Hackintosh folder as there are times that you do need to just rebuild the kernel caches.
Thanks for telling me. I’m new to the Hackintosh community, I’ll update my posting!

Hello!
Great tutorial man! I have that exact same machine and I am trying my luck. Every alternative I have tried so far didn't work, but this looks promising.

The thing is the download you provided ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1NNR1fZCa6uMSIO6sgOdc90So07RbvkXt ) is incomplete, it does not have any clover folder.
Can you please upload the real one?

Thank you and good work!

Hello!
Great tutorial man! I have that exact same machine and I am trying my luck. Every alternative I have tried so far didn't work, but this looks promising.
The thing is the download you provided ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1NNR1fZCa6uMSIO6sgOdc90So07RbvkXt ) is incomplete, it does not have any clover folder.
Can you please upload the real one?

Thank you and good work!

Edit: oh sorry I just looked your right, the entire clover folder is gone! Sorry about this I’ll update it as soon as I can.

Sorry do you mean the clover boot loader pkg file? Or the actual clover folder with the Kexts and patches? (I am on mobile and unable to check the file contents right now)
Thanks!

Last edited:
I meant the actual clover folder, with everything inside. There is just an Apple folder with some files that I don't know what they are for.

Yup! I just checked your right I’m not sure what happened to the clover folder! :) sorry about that I’ll re-upload it when I get home later today.

I’ll re-upload it when I get home later today.
You can attach Kext Utility app right at the end of post #1 to make it easier for your guide followers. The file size is well within the limits for attachments.

Ok everyone, I re-uploaded the folder and link as well as added some of the programs that were requested! Hopefully this will work for you guys! Tell me if there are any more issues. Sorry about that again.
Thanks guys!

Thanks a lot!
I am assuming the "Drivers64UEFI" is the same folder as "Drivers", right? It is the closest name present there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back