Contribute
Register

[Guide] DELL Inspiron 7560 Mojave Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disable CFG Lock to support non-patch native power management & Enable Intel SpeedShift to support HWP (Experimental)

Few days ago, I realize this laptop have CFG Lock but can be disable by BIOS hot-patch.
Tried this method and tested, seems it works. So post this info as a record.

Warning!!!
1. Disable CFG Lock may met few side-effects (from predecessor experience, but I'm not meet this yet). You should know what you're doing before follow this.
2. BIOS patch is dangerous, even hot-patch. Use at your own risk!

OK, let's start!

Disable CFG Lock
  1. Same as we doing a BIOS hot-patch for DVMT-preallocated size, Boot into EFI Shell by using USB stick.
  2. This time we will looking for the variable ID as 0x4DE, this variable is a configuration of CFG Lock.
    According from IFR form:
    Code:
            Setting: CFG Lock, Variable: 0x4DE {05 91 F0 02 F1 02 81 02 01 00 DE 04 10 10 00 01 00}
                Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0 {09 07 04 00 00 00 00}
                Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1 {09 07 03 00 30 00 01}
  3. As we want to disable it, set the value to 0x0, then reboot.
    Code:
    setup_var 0x4DE 0x0
  4. Disable the following settings inside config.plist:
    > Delete config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPm
    (Note: This option will be mark out or delete since CLOVER already detect the system to decide ON or OFF.)
    > config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelLapic=false​

Enable Intel SpeedShift
  1. Same as point 1 in 'Disable CFG lock', but we will looking for variable ID as 0x4AD, this variable is a configuration of Intel SpeedShift.
    According from IFR form:
    Code:
            Setting: Intel(R) Speed Shift Technology, Variable: 0x4AD {05 91 B6 01 B7 01 B7 01 01 00 AD 04 10 10 00 01 00}
                     Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0 {09 07 04 00 30 00 00}
                     Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1 {09 07 03 00 00 00 01}
  2. Set the value to 0x1 to enable SpeedShift.
    Code:
    setup_var 0x4AD 0x1
  3. Because we already used correct machine type (MacBookPro 14,1), so HWP will be enable automatically.
  4. Note that you have to keep enabling 'MSR 0xE2 xcpm_idle instant reboot' patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelToPatch, IF CFG LOCK IS ENABLED.
    I'm not sure it need to be keeping or not when CFG Lock disabled. At least I have no issue after disable the patch with CFG Lock disabled.

After the test, the CPU frequency can be lower to 1GHz when idling. And feeling little more 'cool' than before.
Just the experiment, I suggest keep at current situation because it's enough. No need to change without any reason.

Here's a result by using AppleIntelInfo.kext to check.
螢幕快照 2018-12-20 下午4.17.10.png

Last edited:
What programs do you use for bios files? And what system?

Last edited:
Update:20181222
  • Update Lilu to 1.2.9
  • Update WhateverGreen to 1.2.5
  • Remove config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPm since CLOVER can detect hardware to decide enable or not.
  • Set config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelLapic to false since no needed on this laptop for now.
  • Remove config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM since already included in ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType.
New CLOVER archive has uploaded at #1.

Last edited:
YeB9YJ5.jpg

Finally I got a time to try 'fresh' install on my laptop and it seems like everything works well.

Thanks for this guide.

Does anyone have an opinion on, or direct experience with, implementing this on the Inspiron 15 - 7580?

The model numbers are close, although I realise that may mean very little when it comes to the similarity of components.

Cheers...

Jonathan

Thanks for this guide.

Does anyone have an opinion on, or direct experience with, implementing this on the Inspiron 15 - 7580?

The model numbers are close, although I realise that may mean very little when it comes to the similarity of components.

Cheers...

Jonathan
7580 is totally different CPU model and iGPU (i5 is Kaby Lake-R and i7 is Whisky Lake.)
You may have to set FakeID in config.plist since we have to simulate as HD620.
And DO NOT use any patched DSDT.

Also, please update your profile. Need to include the hardware informations about your laptop.

help! My Audio not found in headphone, my clover is this latest in site.

help! My Audio not found in headphone, my clover is this latest in site.
Where you download a CLOVER? Remember you have to download from RehabMan's bitbucket.

And...
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Good night.

I just did hackintosh on my Inspiron 7000. It's running almost perfect, I can say that 90%, I need help to leave 100%.

What works:
--video intel hd620: ok
-Audio: Speaker and HDMI: ok
-rede lan: ok
-low: ok
battery: ok
-usb 3.0 and 2.0: ok
-trackpad: ok
-energy management: ok

What does not work:
-sleep / wake, when I close the note the display goes off but the fan is still on.

-Mapping brightness keys on the boot screen works the native brightness keys but when I'm on the mac system, it does not work.

-Audio on the headset does not work.

-Wifi: does not work (I'll put the DW1560)

Configuration:
DELL Inpiron 7560
Intel Core I5 7200U
8GB RAM 2133
120gb SSD
1TB HD
Geforce 940MX (but does not work on mac: /)

Aida64's report: file: /// C: /Users/thall/Documents/Report%20inspiron%207000%20Aida64.htm

Could someone help me solve the 3 problems?
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Não sei mexer com o trevo, como denuncio esses problemas? Tenho medo de estragar
First, use this tool to generate "Problem Reporting" files.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/
This tool will dump your CLOVER files and system logs.

But before you use this tool, make sure you already done below things:
  1. Press F2 and F4 button when in CLOVER boot menu.
  2. Download IORegistryExplorer.app and copy to /Application.
    The application can be found in this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back