Contribute
Register

[Guide] DELL Inspiron 7560 Catalina Installation (Discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 431810
Upgraded from Mojave, now everything seems great (for now).

Since previous installation, this part will not be so difficult if you installed Mojave before.

What works?
  • Full QE/CI for Intel HD620 (NVIDIA GPU will be disabled.)
  • SATA info
  • WIFI & Bluetooth (using DW1560)
  • Battery info
  • Sleep
  • Laptop Display
  • HDMI video/audio output
  • Audio works with speaker / 3.5mm audio jack
  • Keyboard / Trackpad / USB Mouse
  • Dual boot with Win10 (but in separate disk)
  • Brightness (with hotkey control)
  • CPU Power Management
  • Heat sink fan (here means fan will not always stayed in low speed or no spin.)
  • Camera
Not working:
  • SD Card reader
Existing issue:
  • HDMI may not display if you plug out then plug in.

Note before install:
  1. Please read here first if you first time install hackintosh on your laptop: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-inspiron-7560-mojave-installation.261827/

Install OS X:

First, install or upgrade CLOVER to latest version. Below is the list about the drive you'll need to install / put into
Note that newer CLOVER has changed EFI drivers location. You need to put into EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
Code:
ApfsDriverLoader
AptioMemeryFix
AudioDxe
DataHubDxe
FSInject
HFSPlus
SMCHelper

Here's kexts that you will needed to put into USB drive. Or put into the EFI partition on the system drive if you gonna to upgrade directly.
Code:
FakeSMC
Lilu
RealtekRTL8111
SATA-unsupported
VoodooI2C
VoodooI2CHID
VoodooPS2Controller
Whatevergreen

You can follow my EFI archive directly. If you're using your own configuration, make sure add below ACPI patch into config.plist
Located at config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches
Or you can't boot into installer without it.
Code:
Comment: change ECDV to EC (string)
Disabled: false (boolean)
Find: 45434456 (data)
Replace: 45435F5F (data)

Also, for user who want to upgrade directly, make sure you had upgrade every installed kexts in /L/E.

For fresh installation, please choose APFS filesystem to format the drive.

Post Installation:

Below is the list of kexts than you need after installation. Install these kexts into /L/E
Code:
ACPIBatteryManager
AirportBrcmFixup
AppleALC
AppleBacklightFixup
BrcmBluetoothInjector
BrcmFirmwareRepo
BrcmPatchRAM3
FakeSMC (and its child kexts if you needed.)
Lilu
RealtekRTL8111
SATA-unsupported
USBInjectAll
VoodooI2C
VoodooI2CHID
VoodooPS2Controller
WhateverGreen

Note: Please use the new version of BT kexts from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-bluetooth-with-bcm94352z.285461/#post-2020426

And don't forget to disable hibernation (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/)

Others:
  1. To let combo jack worked with microphone, please read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-inspiron-7560-mojave-installation.261827/post-1959937

This may going to update is these weeks.
For Sleep, are you able to get it sleeping when power is plugged in after a few times of sleep?

Cheers,
twsps

Did anyone tried to update 10.15.5?

Did anyone tried to update 10.15.5?

I've tried right now and worked perfectly, I'm using the most recent Clover and kexts with VirtualSMC, and I upgraded from the 10.15.3 to 10.15.5.

I got an error in the end of the installation but it still be able to be installed so it is working fine with the 10.15.5 in my case.

UPDATE:20200601

OS X 10.15.5

Tried direct upgrade after updating clover, lilu & whatevergreen. No issue found during and after installation. During installation I needed to reboot on error screen 2 times, after that MacOS Install boot option disappeared and it was possible to boot without problem.

UPDATE:20200802

OS X 10.15.6

Tried direct upgrade after updating clover, lilu & whatevergreen. No issue found during and after installation. During installation I needed to reboot on error screen 2 times, after that MacOS Install boot option disappeared and it was possible to boot without problem.

@edit

UPDATE:20200928

OS X 10.15.7

Same as .6

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

I have followed the guide here to install macOS Catalina 1.15.6 on my Dell Inspiron 7560 but failed to succeed. When I am at the step of booting the SSD, the actual macOS installation starts but after a few seconds it is interrupted and I receive the error message "The macOS installations couldn't be completed". I have attached the error log file.

Anybody knows what could be the reason for this?

I have used the Clover archive Dell-7560-Catalina-191128 (fin) from @missile0407 and my notebook configuration is identical except I did not replace the WIFI Adapter.
Here are in details the steps I have done prior the attempted installation:

1) "Note before install"
2) Put Archive into Clover EFI Bootloader folder, Update Kexts, Drivers and DSDT File
  • Downloaded the latest Clover EFI Bootloader from https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases
    and replaced the Clover file with my Dell-7560-Catalina-191128 (fin) Clover archive.
  • Updated the drivers in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI and the kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other in the Clover archive.
  • Used the Clover EFI Bootloader to create via F4 the DSDT file and put it into the Clover archive. (despite @missile seemed to suggest in his last update that there should already be a DSDT file in the Dell-7560-Catalina-191128 (fin) archive, there seems to be none before)
3) Created bootable USB drive through a virtual machine with macOS installed
  • Used Disk Utility to format the USB Drive with Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Downloaded the Catalina Installer version 10.5.6 file through the App store and used the mac terminal to upload it to the main partition of the USB drive using the code 'sudo /PATH/TO/FILE/\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Catalina\ MYUSBDRIVE
  • Mounted EFI parition and copied the EFI folder with the Clover archive onto it.
4) Replaced the FakeSMC kext with the VirtualSMC kexts

5) Clover EFI Bootloader
  • Booted into the Clover EFI Bootloader on the USB drive.
  • Used Disk Utility to format my SSD with Format: APFS, Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Waited for the 3 minutes installation on my SSD and the notebook restarts.
  • After going back into the Clover EFI Bootloader and booting the SSD, the actual installation starts for a few seconds but then gets interrupted with the error message "The macOS installations couldn't be completed".

What I did not do yet, altough it shouldn't be related to the error:
  • Replace the WIFI Adapter
  • Patch the DSDT File.
  • Set BIOS option USB security level: disabled - I could not find this option in the BIOS

@Mroczny , @Drfrag, @Dedevedder, @Ketanr

Attachments

• Installer Log 5-Oct-2020.txt
    161.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello everybody,

I have followed the guide here to install macOS Catalina 1.15.6 on my Dell Inspiron 7560 but failed to succeed. When I am at the step of booting the SSD, the actual macOS installation starts but after a few seconds it is interrupted and I receive the error message "The macOS installations couldn't be completed". I have attached the error log file.

I have used the Clover archive Dell-7560-Catalina-191128 (fin) from @missile0407 and my notebook configuration is identical except I did not replace the WIFI Adapter.
These are all the steps I have done prior to prepare for the installation:

What I did not do yet, but I assume it should not be related to this error:

As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Hello everybody,

Here are in details the steps I have done prior the attempted installation:

What I did not do yet, altough it shouldn't be related to the error:

Hello my friend, I really don't know how to help you looking for your Log file, but if you want i can share with you my EFI folder, and you can try to replace it with the same content in your Pendrive and check if is possible to boot and install the MacOS Catalina.
how did you create your pendrive?

@Dedevedder, sounds good, I would appreciate if you can provide me your EFI archive to compare/test.

Interestingly on the second time running the install process on the same SSD it succeeds (I have tried this multiple time and its always needs 2 tries). There is also an error shown but it's only at the end of the installation process and despite the error the installation still seems to be successful. Hopefully this will cause no issues.

MacOS Catalina works fine now, to my surprise even the Bluetooth works without any adapter and for the WIFI I used an USB WiFi adapter.

The one thing that's not working is the audio (both from the built in speakers and the headphone jack). As I said I have used the clover file of @missile0407 with the AudioDxe.efi driver in the clover file and put appleALC.kext into /L/E which I assumed should be sufficient to make the audio work. Maybe you can help me with this, any idea what could could it not to work?

Anyone successful with transferring to OpenCore / updating config to clover 5123+ ?
I have kp when I try to update :/ and tried to rewrite config file but there's still kp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back