Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3437(Clover)
CPU
i5-4200U/HM76
Graphics
HD4400, 1366x768
Overview
The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to installing El Capitan on the Dell Inspiron 3437.

Hardware Detail
The Hardware Detail of Dell Inspiron 3437:

• CPU: i5-4200U/HM76
  • Graphics: HD4400, GT720M(discrete card, be disabled), 1366x768
  • Ram: 8G DDR3 1600 MHz
  • HDD: ST500LT012-1DG142 (500G)
On my computer, I add a SSD and replace the wireless network card(WiFi), because the origin WiFi is not compatible.

• SSD: PLEXTOR PX-128M6S (128G, Mac OS Installed)
  • Broadcom 4322(better OS X feature support)
BIOS settings
To start, set BIOS to defaults.

Then insure:

• Intel Virtualization disabled
  • UEFI boot is enabled
  • secure boot is disabled
  • disable fast boot
Preparing USB and initial Installation
This guide for creating USB and installing using Clover UEFI works well for this laptop:http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093

Just follow the guide and do the initial installation.

Special notes: When prepare the kext,you only need these kexts:

FakeSMC.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

RealtekRTL8100.kext

For convince, you can use the files in for_install by this repo, put the files in the right place.

Post Installation
Install Clover UEFI as described in the guide linked by the http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093.

After installing Clover, and configuring it correctly (config.plist, kexts, etc, just as you did for USB) you should be able to boot from the HDD/SSD. The configuration at this point should be exactly the same as USB. Don't forget the HFSPlus.efi.

But there are still many issues and devices that won't work correctly. For that, we need to patch ACPI, provide a proper config.plist, and install the kexts that are required.

The most useful article for patching ACPI is [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs.

The normal extract/disassemble/patch/compile process is difficult and have to try many times to suscess.

So I write a batch command to do it. It can make the patching ACPI more easier.

1.Prepare the origin ACPI
At the main Clover bootloader screen, you can press F4 and Clover will dump the native ACPI files toEFI/Clover/ACPI/origin. You can then access them after you boot OS X to disassemble them and patch.

Note that some BIOS implementations reverse the function of Fn+F4 with F4, so when in doubt, press both Fn+F4 and F4. There is no feedback during or after the dump, just a slight delay as the files are written.

After extracting native ACPI files, delelte all the files in ACPI_origin. copy all the files in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin into the project ACPI_origin folder.

2.Do the Patch
Open the Terminal app:

cd Dell_Inspiron_3437_ACPI_Patch
chomd +x acpi_patch.sh
./acpi_patch.sh

Then the disassemble/patch/compile tasks will be run automatic. You just wait for a while and take a breath. If no error happen, the output files will in the acpi_patch_out folder.

DSDT.aml
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Copy all these files to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/.

3.Power Management
Use the ssdtPRgen.sh script by Pike R. Alpha: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

You only need to do the first two commands:

curl --fail -o ./ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/master/ssdtPRGen.sh
chmod +x ./ssdtPRGen.sh
./ssdtPRGen.sh

When it asks if you want to copy to /Extra just respond 'n'. Same for opening ssdt.dsl... respond 'n'.

The results are at ~/Library/ssdtPRgen/SSDT.aml.

Copy that file to EFI partition, /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/SSDT.aml

sudo ./mount_efi.sh /
cp ~/Library/ssdtPRgen/ssdt.aml /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/SSDT.aml

4.Kext Installation
All the kexts will be install are in the ./kexts folder, if you want to add other kext, just put it in ./kexts folder.

invoke the command:

sudo ./install_kext.sh
5.Final config.plist
Copy the project config.plist to /EFI/Clover/, replace the old one.

DO NOT edit your config.plist with Clover Configurator. Clover Configurator will erase important settings from the config.plist, and as a result, it will not work.

That every thing is done~

In Finder, 'Enject EFI' partition(remember to to do that, or the changed files will not save), and restart the computer.

Welcome to the Mac World~

Compatibility
What works
I have tested the following features:

• UEFI booting via Clover
  • built-in keyboard (with special function keys)
  • built-in trackpad (basic gestures)
  • HDMI video/audio with hotplug
  • WiFi, provided you have compatible hardware
  • native USB3 with AppleUSBXHCI (USB2 works also)
  • native audio with AppleHDA, including headphone
  • built-in mic
  • built-in camera (if you are lucky)
  • native power management
  • battery status
  • backlight controls with smooth transitions, save/restore across restart
  • accelerated graphics
  • wired Ethernet
  • Mac App Store working
Not tested/not working
The following features have issues, or have not been tested:

• Messages/FaceTime
  • card reader is not working (not important to me)
Contributors
First of all, I am very grateful for RehabMan's help, I have benefited from his guides. This patch project reference to his greatProBook repository.

I would also thanked dummyone, the first installation of Mac OS is based on his guide [Guide] Dell Inspiron 3x37 - 5x37 -7x37 Clover, Yosemite/El Capitan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typo...

'chmod' not 'chomd'.

Oh,yes.
Thank you.

I want to edit the post#1, but it can't save.
Show Tips:
Code:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

But I don't know which error make it can't save.

Oh,yes.
Thank you.

I want to edit the post#1, but it can't save.
Show Tips:
Code:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

But I don't know which error make it can't save.

You would need to contact an administrator...

I see no issue with the current content as far as the links present...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back