Intel HD Graphics 4000 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
INTRODUCTION

In this guide, I will assume that you have necessary basic knowledge about computer OS installations (HDD,SSD, mSATA partitioning in GUID/MBR, BIOS/UEFI, DSDT/SSDT ...). If you are familiar with these things, I suggest that you continue reading this guide and enjoy in running latest Mac OS X Yosemite on your Dell Inspiron 17R - 7720 SE. Kind of neglected laptop in Hackintosh community, but I hope this will change after this guide, since it is very good & compatible machine.

I will try to explain in details all installation steps, with references to sources that I was using during my research.

MY SYSTEM CONFIGURATION & PARTITIONING

Dell Inspiron 17R - 7720 SE (BIOS A16)

• 17.3" Full High Definition 1080p LED Display with Anti-Glare (non 3D model)
  • 3rd Generation Intel® CoreTM i7-3630QM 2.4 Ghz (6MB cache, up to 3.4 Ghz)
  • 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
  • 256GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (Windows 7 + Mac OS X Yosemite - GUID)
  • 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (Mac OS X RecoveryHD + Data - GUID)
  • 128GB mSATA SSD KINGSTON SMS200S3120G (Mac OS X Mavericks - GUID, BIOS set to AHCI and can’t boot mSATA directly, using boot loader on HDD1 or HDD2)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GDDR5 2GB (disabled by DSDT)
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Built-In Display&HDMI enabled by DSDT+patched AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext )
  • WiFi/BT (Intel replaced with Atheros 9285 + IoGear USB BT)
Your configuration might be different. But, if you are using A16 BIOS you can use my DSDT, but of course, you can make your own. If you have different CPU, than you have to generate your own SSDT for proper power management, which will be explained later in the text.

As far as I know, 3D model is not working with Nvidia Optimus Technology but with Nvidia 3D Vision Technology, so this guide is not applicable nor I hav​e tested it.

INSTALLATION STEPS

Read this post carefully before you begin:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

STEP 1 - Download Mac OS X Yosemite and create a Bootable USB Drive using UniBeast

Make sure that you select Laptop Support, and if you followed instructions from above mentioned post, now you have bootable USB drive with Mac OS X Yosemite! Now, we will customize it according to our needs:

a) We need to add into USB Drive/Extra/Extensions folder GenericUSBXHCI.kext for USB2/USB3 compatibility.

b) We can use HDMI connected display for installation or add device-properties for Intel HD Graphics 4000 into USB Drive/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to enable builtin display:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>IGPlatformID</key>
    <string>01660004</string>
    <key>IGPDeviceID</key>
    <string>0166</string>
</dict>

</plist>

c) Of course, you can just delete USB Drive/Extra folder and replace it with attached folder.

STEP 2 - BIOS Settings
Bios Setup Defaults - than :

• Intel SpeedStep ~ Enabled
  • Virtualization ~ Disabled
  • Integrated NIC ~ Enabled
  • USB Emulation ~ Enabled
  • USB Powershare ~ Enabled
  • USB Wake Support ~ Disabled
  • SATA Operation ~ AHCI

STEP 3 - Install Mac OS X Yosemite

Follow instructions from above mentioned post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibe...upported-intel-based-pc.html#install_yosemite

STEP 4 - Post-Installation using MultiBeast

1. Make sure to backup all vanilla kexts from System/Library/Extensions/ , so you can revert any change that went wrong. It is good idea to make clone to other disk/partition with Carbon Copy Cloner, and boot from that partition to make repairs.

2. MultiBeast preselected options file attached (Include TRIM Patch if you use SSD or mSATA)

3. Additional kexts attached, use Kext Wizard to install kexts in System/Library/Extensions/

4. Extra folder with files attached (You need to create you own SMBios.plist with Chameleon Wizard - MacBookPro9,2)

5. Repair permissions, reboot and enjoy in Mac Os X !

DSDT, SSDT & SSDT-1

Operational and so far working very good. Should be reviewed by someone more competent than I am, and fine tweaked to resolve remaining issues and enable all features possible.

Original ACPI dump attached is for those with good will and ACPI skills - PLEASE HELP!

SUMMARY
  • Touchpad works with only basic inputs, no gestures like 2 finger scrolling
  • Audio/Mic working, subwoofer and HDMI audio not
  • FN keys works for audio&media, brightness and WiFi control not working
  • Lan works only with 10baseT/UTP half duplex
  • Sleep works,need to be further tested
  • Card Reader not working (Recognized as connected to Built-In USB/Hub, USB2.0-CRW, Product ID:0x0129 Vendor ID:0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.) not working
  • Built-In Screen is not reaching full brightness unless you have hot corner activated to put it to sleep and activate again, after that all normal, brightness control works.
  • ​All ACPI sensors are working with HWMonitor thanks to Dolnor - DELL/ACPI/SSDT-1

This is best I could do at this moment. It is functional Hackintosh, but with minor issues as expected. I need help and I am asking for it in the name of all good people who would like to run Mac OS X on their laptops.
So, senior members/developers please take a look at ACPI dump, DSDT, SSDT,SSDT-1 and make suggestions! It might help us all a lot!

I will continue my research on this and keep you posted here! Please, feel free to test and comment!

ALL FOLDERS & FILES WILL BE CONSTANTLY UPDATED WITH NEW ONES!

Attachments

• ACPI-Inspiron 7720.zip
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • USB Drive-Extra.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,089
  • YosemiteHD-Extra.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 932
  • YosemiteHD-SLE.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 834
  • Tools.zip
    29.5 MB · Views: 1,008
I have install the macosx10.10.2 which use this guide.Now i have encounter a problem that i cannot find where is the extra folder.Any help is appreciate.

I have install the macosx10.10.2 which use this guide.Now i have encounter a problem that i cannot find where is the extra folder.Any help is appreciate.

The /Extra folder is created on your system volume when you use Multibeast.

On my dell inspiron, when I look at msinfo I have the following;

Intel Graphics 4000
and
NVIDIA GeForce GT630m adapter

Can we not use the GeForce adapter as the main display or does it default to the Intel?

Sorry if I am asking a NEWB question here!

On my dell inspiron, when I look at msinfo I have the following;

Intel Graphics 4000
and
NVIDIA GeForce GT630m adapter

Can we not use the GeForce adapter as the main display or does it default to the Intel?

Sorry if I am asking a NEWB question here!

The discrete graphics capability in a switched dual-GPU configuration is not supported with OS X on hacks. Best you can do is disable the discrete part with SSDT/DSDT patches.

Hello again,

Thank you for the previous answer, its greatly appreciated. I do have another one.

You said you had success with the Atheros 9285. Did you have any issues getting it working on windows 8? I had bought a 9280 (dual band) thinking I could have the best of both worlds (2.4 & 5) but wasn't able to successfully get it working.

Thanks

Hello again,

Thank you for the previous answer, its greatly appreciated. I do have another one.

You said you had success with the Atheros 9285. Did you have any issues getting it working on windows 8? I had bought a 9280 (dual band) thinking I could have the best of both worlds (2.4 & 5) but wasn't able to successfully get it working.

Thanks

Both AR9285 and AR9280 are supported by Windows. Just need to install the drivers.

If I am being a pain in your side please just say!

I've attached a couple of photos/screenshots of issues I am having getting to the installation screen. Unibeast hangs. I first tried the GraphicsEnabler=Yes and also the PCIRootUID=0. Next I tried -v -s -f and got the first photo, then just -v for the second.

I should say that I am running a 15r though it is almost identical in hardware (as shown below), which is why I am piggybacking your install and utilizing your USB/Extra folder.

Intel HD Graphics 4000
WiFi (Intel replaced with Atheros 9280)
Intel® CoreTM i7-3537 2.0 Ghz

I have my windows 8.1 in the main bay and an HSSD in a HD Caddy which is going to hopefully house OSX

If there is something else I have forgot please let me know.

Attachments

• 20150505_165459.jpg
    20150505_165459.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 687
  • 20150505_170144.jpg
    20150505_170144.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 605
If I am being a pain in your side please just say!

I've attached a couple of photos/screenshots of issues I am having getting to the installation screen. Unibeast hangs. I first tried the GraphicsEnabler=Yes and also the PCIRootUID=0. Next I tried -v -s -f and got the first photo, then just -v for the second.

I should say that I am running a 15r though it is almost identical in hardware (as shown below), which is why I am piggybacking your install and utilizing your USB/Extra folder.

Intel HD Graphics 4000
WiFi (Intel replaced with Atheros 9280)
Intel® CoreTM i7-3537 2.0 Ghz

I have my windows 8.1 in the main bay and an HSSD in a HD Caddy which is going to hopefully house OSX

If there is something else I have forgot please let me know.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-unibeast.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back