Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 17R - 7720 SE - Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried it again, using a different external monitor... and the installation worked.

Yay!

Had a go at installing Sierra on this yesterday, but didn't get very far at all. Creating the installer worked fine (using Unibeast 7.0.1 & Sierra downloaded from the Apple Store). But, couldn't get the install GUI to display on boot. The things would appear to do the initial loading... then the screen switch would happen (like it's going to graphical mode), but no installer GUI comes up.

Tried various things - eg using -x -v (Safe mode, verbose boot) - which allowed the install to work on Yosemite. No dice with Sierra. Then went through and tried a random selection of other things... no difference either. Reading through the Sierra installation guide again now... nothing really seems to cover.

When attempting the install, I tried both with and without an external (HDMI) monitor attached. Unlike with the Yosemite install, the external monitor never came on.

Anyway... did you need to do anything special for the Sierra installer, or did it "just work"?

Wondering if my older BIOS (A15) might need updating, just in case. :)

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
("Personal Details" link from "profile menu" in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Hi guys !

I successfully installed Sierra easily on my Inspiron 7720 using Unibeast and I have to say it works really great out of the box !
I only have two issues that I am not sure how to solve :
- I can only use built-in display, nothing comes out of the HDMI port;
- I guess I need to activate HD4000 acceleration because when I make windows move fast it flickers.

nv_disable=1 is set as Clover boot argument.

Could you help me fix this because I am a real noob :/

(according to the system monitor it looks like OS X is using the NVidia GPU, but I am completely lost)
377093ScreenShot20161127at212422.png

Thanks a lot !

EDIT : So what I did is install the NVidia Web Drivers and add 'nvda_drv=1' to Clover boot arguments. But it then hangs at boot with this :
730572DSC0097.jpg

EDIT 2 : I tried this to disable the NVidia card : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295584-disabling-nvidia-optimus-card-on-all-laptops/ saving the generated aml file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched but the system still uses the NVidia card...

Last edited:
Hi guys !

I successfully installed Sierra easily on my Inspiron 7720 using Unibeast and I have to say it works really great out of the box !
I only have two issues that I am not sure how to solve :
- I can only use built-in display, nothing comes out of the HDMI port;
- I guess I need to activate HD4000 acceleration because when I make windows move fast it flickers.

nv_disable=1 is set as Clover boot argument.

Could you help me fix this because I am a real noob :/

(according to the system monitor it looks like OS X is using the NVidia GPU, but I am completely lost)
377093ScreenShot20161127at212422.png

Thanks a lot !

EDIT : So what I did is install the NVidia Web Drivers and add 'nvda_drv=1' to Clover boot arguments. But it then hangs at boot with this :
730572DSC0097.jpg

EDIT 2 : I tried this to disable the NVidia card : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295584-disabling-nvidia-optimus-card-on-all-laptops/ saving the generated aml file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched but the system still uses the NVidia card...

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

@sdf9023r4nf9 no it did not even after spending a lot of time/nights. So I just switched to a Dell XPS 13 9350, it worked out of the box ! :)

Thanks. :)

I'm having the opposite problem, the internal screen only shows during boot then the external one is the only one used. Looking through the Clover guide (several times), nothing seems relevant. I'm not sure why @RehabMan keeps pointing it out to people for this. It must be for a reason I'm not seeing.

Last edited:
@RehabMan on a tangent, it looks like the Linux kernel developers are making good progress with GPU switching on Mac's, as per the review here: https://lwn.net/Articles/707616/

Hopefully the progress there will lead to someone getting nVidia drivers working for Optimus Hackintosh laptops at some point.

Last edited:
@RehabMan on a tangent, it looks like the Linux kernel developers are making good progress with GPU switching on Mac's, as per the review here: https://lwn.net/Articles/707616/

Hopefully the progress there will lead to someone getting nVidia drivers working for Optimus Hackintosh laptops at some point.

Completely different thing. This is driver code for Linux on Apple computers. Not driver code for OS X on non-Apple computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back