Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Dell Inspiron 15 OC 7.8 MacOS Monterey 12.2.1| i7-8550u | UHD 620| 4K 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an inspiron 7850 and i can't install the kext
I had bigsur and everything worked 95%
i ran monterey clean install from usb
I tried to replace your OC in the EFI partition but it gives me NvRam error I don't know what to do
without your EFI and your processor type, I cannot help you. is the i7 8th generation? what version of OC are you using?

@Mrgeque I've spent about a week trying to get my touchscreen to work on my Dell Inspiron 13 5379. I read somewhere that someone with the same model as mine adopted your EFI to their config and has everything working. I decided to try my luck. I started by keeping my EFI, as I have a mostly working config, but the touchscreen not working is what bothered me. So I began by moving around the order of VoodooPS2 and VoodooI2C kexts, thinking that might have something to do with my troubles. No such luck. After spending several hours trying different things, going as far as matching the kext versions to match yours exactly, I abandoned the process. I threw in your EFI folder, plugged in my SMBIOS into the config and viola. Touchscreen worked like a charm. But with a BIG FAT caveat. I lost Audio, Bluetooth and my Wifi signal became abysmal. Urgh! The last two are obvious - I'm using a BCM94360Z3 which isn't the same. But the audio is what has me a bit confused. I'm running Big Sur, and you're on Monterey. Is there a difference in configs with respect to Audio?

@Mrgeque I've spent about a week trying to get my touchscreen to work on my Dell Inspiron 13 5379. I read somewhere that someone with the same model as mine adopted your EFI to their config and has everything working. I decided to try my luck. I started by keeping my EFI, as I have a mostly working config, but the touchscreen not working is what bothered me. So I began by moving around the order of VoodooPS2 and VoodooI2C kexts, thinking that might have something to do with my troubles. No such luck. After spending several hours trying different things, going as far as matching the kext versions to match yours exactly, I abandoned the process. I threw in your EFI folder, plugged in my SMBIOS into the config and viola. Touchscreen worked like a charm. But with a BIG FAT caveat. I lost Audio, Bluetooth and my Wifi signal became abysmal. Urgh! The last two are obvious - I'm using a BCM94360Z3 which isn't the same. But the audio is what has me a bit confused. I'm running Big Sur, and you're on Monterey. Is there a difference in configs with respect to Audio?
thanks for your feedback. what smbios are you using? send me a copy of your original config.plist, I believe it could be something minor and simple

thanks for your feedback. what smbios are you using? send me a copy of your original config.plist, I believe it could be something minor and simple
Attached. I'm including the newest one that has everything working except F11/F12 Brightness keys and Camera.

Side note on an unrelated topic. Since posting here, I made a few discoveries which I posted about on another thread, but those relate to iGPU acceleration performance. You can read about my experience here.

Attachments

• luckyal_NEW.plist
    49.7 KB · Views: 115
Attached. I'm including the newest one that has everything working except F11/F12 Brightness keys and Camera.

Side note on an unrelated topic. Since posting here, I made a few discoveries which I posted about on another thread, but those relate to iGPU acceleration performance. You can read about my experience here.
so what is NOT working at the moment?
edit: by the looks of your config.plist, you're not loading a voodoo input kext. you can choose to load the one within the voodoops2 package or you can load the voodoo input kext as a standalone. by the looks of your config, you do NOT have usbports map and kext properly setup. I see you're still using usbinject. that kext is only used for port discovery

Last edited:
Your EFI was a huge help in getting macOS Monterey working. I had to make some changes (slightly different specs), and I was wondering if you can maybe help me out with somethings that are not working. Thanks.

OpenCore 0.7.8
macOS Monterey - v12.2

Laptop Specs:

Model: Dell Inspiron 15 7570 - 4K Touchscreen
CPU: 8th Generation Intel i7-8550U @ 1.80Ghz (Kabylake R)
GPU: Intel UHD 620 (940MX Disabled)
RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
SSD: Samsung PM961 NVMe M.2 SSD - 512GB
WIFI/BT: Intel AC7265
Ethernet: Realtek RTL8168

BIOS Setting:

Secure Boot: Disable
SATA Operation: AHCI Mode
UEFI Boot
Legacy OP Rom: Disabled

EFI Changes (For my specs):
Add:
AirportItlwm.kext
IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
Removed:
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
BrcmPatchRAM.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext

What Works:
WIFI/Bluetooth
Ethernet
HDMI*
x3 USB-A
USB-C* (Power Delivery)
SD Card Reader
Speakers
Microphone
Camera
Touchscreen
Trackpad
Keyboard
Keyboard Illumination (Native)
FN Keys (FN Lock, Mute, Volume Down/Up, Rewind, Play/Pause, Forward, Display Brightness Keys)
FN + Insert = Instant Sleep*
CTRL + Insert = Power Mode Dialog Box
Facetime
iMessage
AirPlay
Siri
Battery Indicator

What Doesn’t Work:
AirDrop (Shows its "On" but it's not able to send or receive with anyone).

HandOff (From Apple devices to laptop, yes. Laptop to Apple devices, no).

FN + Insert = Instant Sleep (Doesn't wake up after doing this, not even closing and opening laptop wakes it up)
* Putting it to sleep by just closing laptop does work and wakes it back up.

Headphone Combo Jack* (unstable; cuts off after .5 seconds).

USB-C (Data) not working. Only powers devices, but no data at all for some reason.

Connecting or Removing HDMI causes screen to go black. Current fix is to close laptop, open it and both displays work (idk what's causing this).

@iSpoof Airdrop not working is caused by your intel hardware as is handoff.
when you sleep laptop. you need to tap the power key to wake from sleep.
you need to setup you usb map correctly for usb-c data.
headphone jack can be fixed by the 2nd link in my signature. read the installation instructions.
hdmi black screen is normal behavior after removing hdmi cable.

Update:

Airdrop - Not working (I guess I can just forget about it since you say it's hardware).

HandOff - Works now.

Instant Sleep (FM + Insert) - Not sure if what's happening on my device is normal, but when I wake it up it turns on with Dell logo, followed by Open Core. I click on 'Macintosh HD', and it does the on-screen text/load thing as if it was turning on. It then seems to restart, again me having to go through Open Core to boot macOS. The whole thing takes about the 3 minutes.

USB-C (Data) - Again, receives power but not detected by macOS. After putting laptop to sleep (via menu or closing laptop) and then plugging in drive (Samsung T7), it is detected. The downside is that its max speed is only 40 MB/s, much slower than the USB ports with speeds of 400 MB/s with the same drive.

HDMI - This seems to work now. When connecting it, neither laptop screen or external monitor stay on a black screen and get stuck on it. Sound & Picture work as normal.

Headphone Jack - It seems like u removed instruction, but I was able to find a screenshot someone took when you still had it. Still confused though.

The screen shot with your instructions say...

Note: To get Headphone to work you need to download my ALC295 file and follow these instructions;
1. Place ALCPlugFix-Swift into ; /usr/local/bin/
2. Place com.black-dragon74.ALCPlugFix.plist into L/LaunchAgents
3. Open a Terminal window.
4. cd "directory where alcplugfix folder is located".
5. Drag the install.sh file to terminal. Press Enter.
6. When prompted, Drag ALC295.plist file to terminal. Press Enter.
7. Add 'alc-verbs=1" to bootargs.
8. Reboot and test.

In a reply post, you say...

1. Place ALL files into the created bin folder.
2. rebuild kextcache
3.open terminal, then cd /usr/local/bin
4. place the install.sh file FROM WITHIN the created bin folder into terminal. Press enter
5.when prompted, place the ALC295.plist FROM WITHIN the created bin folder into terminal, press enter
6. done. no need to restart

What exactly are the instructions, cause I'm not understanding what exactly I have to do? I'm new to all this hackintosh thing (especially macOS in general cause I've never owned or used a mac in my life), so not much of this makes sense to me. When trying to follow your instructions, I can't find any "L/LaunchAgents" in "Finder" using the "Go to folder" button and searching "L/LaunchAgents" and I don't know how to find directory of alcplugfix.

Now, when it comes to the "USB mapping" you say I have to do to fix the USB-C issue, I honestly have no idea what you mean by "USB Mapping". Am I supposed to edit something in config.plist with proppertree? Can you go into detail on how exactly I can fix it? Again, I know this may be a lot to ask for since this is my own problem.

My EFI's a bit different than your original (add/removed some kext as mentioned previously). Your Inspiron 7576 and my 7570's specs are nearly identical. The only differences are that you changed your WIFI/BT card to a Broadcom one, and you're missing an ethernet port. Other than those two things, I still don't know why some things don't work. I've included my EFI, if you would like to see it.

Attachments

• EFI (removed SMBIOS info).zip
    34.6 MB · Views: 247
Update:

Airdrop - Not working (I guess I can just forget about it since you say it's hardware).

HandOff - Works now.

Instant Sleep (FM + Insert) - Not sure if what's happening on my device is normal, but when I wake it up it turns on with Dell logo, followed by Open Core. I click on 'Macintosh HD', and it does the on-screen text/load thing as if it was turning on. It then seems to restart, again me having to go through Open Core to boot macOS. The whole thing takes about the 3 minutes.

USB-C (Data) - Again, receives power but not detected by macOS. After putting laptop to sleep (via menu or closing laptop) and then plugging in drive (Samsung T7), it is detected. The downside is that its max speed is only 40 MB/s, much slower than the USB ports with speeds of 400 MB/s with the same drive.

HDMI - This seems to work now. When connecting it, neither laptop screen or external monitor stay on a black screen and get stuck on it. Sound & Picture work as normal.

Headphone Jack - It seems like u removed instruction, but I was able to find a screenshot someone took when you still had it. Still confused though.

The screen shot with your instructions say...

Note: To get Headphone to work you need to download my ALC295 file and follow these instructions;
3. Open a Terminal window.
4. cd "directory where alcplugfix folder is located".
5. Drag the install.sh file to terminal. Press Enter.
6. When prompted, Drag ALC295.plist file to terminal. Press Enter.
7. Add 'alc-verbs=1" to bootargs.
8. Reboot and test.

In a reply post, you say...

1. Place ALL files into the created bin folder.
2. rebuild kextcache
3.open terminal, then cd /usr/local/bin
4. place the install.sh file FROM WITHIN the created bin folder into terminal. Press enter
5.when prompted, place the ALC295.plist FROM WITHIN the created bin folder into terminal, press enter
6. done. no need to restart

What exactly are the instructions, cause I'm not understanding what exactly I have to do? I'm new to all this hackintosh thing (especially macOS in general cause I've never owned or used a mac in my life), so not much of this makes sense to me. When trying to follow your instructions, I can't find any "L/LaunchAgents" in "Finder" using the "Go to folder" button and searching "L/LaunchAgents" and I don't know how to find directory of alcplugfix.

Now, when it comes to the "USB mapping" you say I have to do to fix the USB-C issue, I honestly have no idea what you mean by "USB Mapping". Am I supposed to edit something in config.plist with proppertree? Can you go into detail on how exactly I can fix it? Again, I know this may be a lot to ask for since this is my own problem.

My EFI's a bit different than your original (add/removed some kext as mentioned previously). Your Inspiron 7576 and my 7570's specs are nearly identical. The only differences are that you changed your WIFI/BT card to a Broadcom one, and you're missing an ethernet port. Other than those two things, I still don't know why some things don't work. I've included my EFI, if you would like to see it.
you need to open the "go" menu from taskbar at top then select 'go to folder' then you should be able to follow the instructions.
3. open a terminal window
4. cd "directory where alcplugfix folder is located"
5. Drag the install.sh file to terminal. press enter
6. When Prompted, Drag ALC295.plist file to terminal, press enter

sorry I was away
7. Add 'alc-verbs=1' to bootargs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back