Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Dell Inspiron 15 OC 7.8 MacOS Monterey 12.2.1| i7-8550u | UHD 620| 4K 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5GHz
Graphics
RX 5700 XT + UHD 630 (disabled)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is a Continuation of My Big Sur Guide, But Revised For Monterey 12.01

In this Video I do a short Demo:

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 9.36.36 AM.png

Specifications:
Dell Inspiron 15 2-in-1 / 7573 / Bios 1.17 / 2018 Version
8th Generation Intel i7-8550U @ 1.80Ghz (Kabylake R)
Intel UHD 620 - UltraHighDef - 3840x2160 - 4K Display - Touch
32GB 2400Mhz DDR4 ram - 2x16gb Chips
Samsung PM871b M.2 SSD 512GB - (Stock)
Wifi - Dell DW1830 - (Swapped Intel 7265)
Bluetooth - BCM2045A0
Nvidia MX130 (Disabled)

Whats Running:
OpenCore 0.7.8
Monterey 12.2.1

What Works:

Battery Indicator
WiFi (DW1830) credits
Bluetooth
Display Brightness Slider (SSDT-SMEE)
Brightness Keys (Native)***
Graphics Acceleration (QE/Cl)
TouchScreen (With Gestures)
TrackPad (With Gestures)
Power Management
WebCam
iMessage
HandOff
AirDrop
HDMI 3840x2160 @60Hz
USB-C
USB-C (DisplayPort) 4K @60Hz
USB-3 @5Gps
USB-2 @480Mbps
SD Card Reader @480Mbps
USB-C DisplayPort HotPlug / UnPlug
HDMI HotPlug / UnPlug
HDMI Sound
Sound ALC295
Siri
Microphone (internal)
AirPlay
KeyBoard Illumination
KeyBoard FN Keys (Play,Pause,Rewind,Mute, Volume)
USB-C Charging
FaceTime
HeadPhone Combo Jack (ColdBoot, Awake, Reboot)
FN + Insert = Instant Sleep
CTRL + Insert = Power Mode Dialog Box
Unlock With Apple Watch (Correct Hardware Needed)

Few Changes were made to get this working:

Bios Settings:
Secure Boot Disabled
Sata Operation AHCI Mode
UEFI Boot
Turn OFF Legacy OP Roms

Part 1: Installer

In order to Make an Installer, you first have to Enroll your Device into 'Apple Beta SW' program and download the Assist tool. Once you've signed in and enrolled your device, you can proceed to downloading the MacOS 12 beta software file from the built in updater. Once the 12GB download is complete, you can choose to install it directly over your current installation, or you can make a usb bootable thumb drive for later use. In my case, I used the createinstallmedia command in terminal and made a USB drive.

Part 2: Preparing Your EFI/OC Folder

Another Key part to Making any Hack work is the EFI or OC folder. There are a bunch of changes to the boot structure of MacOS 12 Monterey. Most of these changes im Unfamiliar with, aside from the fact I had to revamp my kext and enable a bunch of different settings in OpenCore. Here are the list of files in Each Folder of the EFI;

ACPI:
SSDT-ALS0.aml - Light sensor
SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml - Disable EGPU
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml - USB port mapping
SSDT-HPET.aml - fixes HPET
SSDT-PLUG.aml - Power
SSDT-PNLF.aml - display backlight
SSDT-SMEE - for Native Keyboard Keys
SSDT-XOSI.aml - Prevent OS match

Drivers:
Audiodxe.efi
OpenCanopy.efi
OpenHfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime

Kext: Ill only list the Kext's that One might not know to use
BlueToolFixup.kext this one as well since you cannot boot without it.
All other kext a pretty much straight forward.

These Are a list of Items that should BE checked in you open core config.plist;

Booter Tab;
SetupVirtualMap
AvoidRuntimeDefrag
EnableSafeModeSlide
EnableWriteUnprotector
ProvideCustomSlide

Kernel Tab;
DisableloMapper
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic
AppleXcpmCfgLock
DisableLinkeditJettison
DisableRTCChecksum
CustomSMBIOSGuid
PanicNoKextDump

MISC/Security Tab;
SecureBootModel -Enabled or Disabled
DMGLoading -Any
Vault -Optional
AllowNVRAMReset
AllowToggleSIP

NVRAM Tab;
LegacyEnable
WriteFlash

BootArgs;
igfxonln=1
-igfxlspcon
-igfxtypec
-v
-cdfon
-igfxmpc
alcverbs=1

UEFI Tab;
EnableVectorAcceleration
RequestBootVarRouting

Note; it is very important to enable sip during the installation process. I was certain I had an issue with my kext or EFI or ACPI turns out it was sip being disabled. Another thing, its very important that you update all kext and open core to the latest build. You won't get past verbose with outdated kext.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 1.22.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 1.22.05 AM.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 621
  • OC;7.1;12.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 2,095
Last edited:
RESERVED:

1. 7/13/21 - Update: Purged EFI from Unused/Non-Needed; Kext, Quirks and Settings in OC. Changed Secure Boot Model to SMBIOS 15,2. Added display rotation in EFI to NVRAM for native display rotation in settings. Downgraded VoodooInput.kext to version1.0.9 (newer versions Cause inactive touchscreen at wake sometimes). Only Known issue with Monterey Beta MacOS 12 and my setup is after wake, macOS will sometime use the Infrared Camera instead of the HD camera.
  2. 7/18/21 - Updated to MacOS 12 Beta 3. Few Restarts. Camera Issue After Wake Seems To be Fixed
  3. 7/30/21 - Updated to MacOS 12 Beta 4 couple Restarts. Be sure to select the regular Boot Drive and Not The Preboot volume or Update volume that is automatically selected. Can Also Use the HackBook Screen as a second monitor for another Hack the "iHacPro'.
  4. 8/6/21 - Updated to OpenCore 7.2, added VoodooSMBUS.kext for stability in the voodooi2c slave driver. touchscreen would sometimes be inactive after long wake. Added all PCI devices with ACTIVE drivers in Device Properties so they are shown in System Report>>PCI
  5. 10/26/21 - Official Monterey Release- Updated to OpenCore 7.4. No issues except Bluetooth will remain off if you power it off. cannot power it back on unless reset. Official.zip reflects the changes.
  6. 10/31/21 - fixed the bluetooth power on/off issue. Official.zip reflects the changes
  7. 11/01/21 - Updated to OpenCore 7.5. Updated Kext. Bluetooth working Flawlessly now. No issues 7.5.zip reflects the changes
  8. 12/13/21 - Updated to MacOS 12.1 /Updated to OpenCore 7.6. updated kexts. No issues 12.1/7.6 reflects change

Attachments

• OC;7.1:12.1.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 307
  • OC;7.2;12.4.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 386
  • Official-12.01-7.4.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 237
  • Official-12.01-OC-7.5.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 534
  • 12.1:7.6.zip
    15.9 MB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:
So with this EFI, i'm able to boot the Catalina version I had installed earlier but couldn't boot after post installation from the USB. My sound isn't work at the moment, it's got alc225 codec.

So with this EFI, i'm able to boot the Catalina version I had installed earlier but couldn't boot after post installation from the USB. My sound isn't work at the moment, it's got alc225 codec.
post your working efi

So I have a dilemma, I'm trying to figure out how come I don't get the pretty gui anymore after i changed the layout-id fro 4D to 1C. That's the layout id that works for my codec. Also, how come bluetooth on/off under system preference stays on and i can't tick turn it off. I'm not sure what's causing me to get the plain old gui after i make that change. Is it possible to make that change for me on your end? I'm really puzzled at this point..

So I have a dilemma, I'm trying to figure out how come I don't get the pretty gui anymore after i changed the layout-id fro 4D to 1C. That's the layout id that works for my codec. Also, how come bluetooth on/off under system preference stays on and i can't tick turn it off. I'm not sure what's causing me to get the plain old gui after i make that change. Is it possible to make that change for me on your end? I'm really puzzled at this point..
post your config.plist

Will post it when i get home later. I'm out and about atm. Thanks in advance..

no problem
Alright, i managed to fix the audio while still maintaining the gui as you had intended. My only issue now is having the right cpu class to show. It shows i7 but my cpu is an i5 and also the graphics mb shows 3XXXmb instead of 2xxxxmb. Here's my config..

Attachments

• config.plist
    35.5 KB · Views: 249
Alright, i managed to fix the audio while still maintaining the gui as you had intended. My only issue now is having the right cpu class to show. It shows i7 but my cpu is an i5 and also the graphics mb shows 3XXXmb instead of 2xxxxmb. Here's my config..
as far as MB for UHD, you can simply Remove all of the data in Device properties for the IGPU except the identifier properties(mine is for 4K). for the CPU, use https://github.com/stevezhengshiqi/one-key-cpufriend to generate your own cpufriend and cpufrienddataprovider kext since mine was built for an i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back