Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7567 (and similar) (Near-Full Functionality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 7590 - Clover
CPU
i7-9980HK
Graphics
HD 630 + GTX 1650
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A Simple Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Hackintoshing Guide

hinten.JPG

Overview

Hey guys! Welcome to my (first!) guide on how to get near-full functionality out of macOS High Sierra on the Dell Inspiron 15 7567! Now your laptop specs may vary slightly, but this guide should work for most of the laptops in this family! This laptop can almost perfectly emulate the MacBook (Pro) experience, and I've enabled almost full functionality without any permanent system file changes (which theoretically means it can survive major updates!), which makes it seemingly more native.

Hopefully you guys will enjoy! :D

Hardware Specs

Intel i7-7700HQ CPU
Intel HD Graphics 630 / nVidia GTX 1050 Ti (the nVidia card is disabled due to its Optimus configuration)
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
15.6” 1080p IPS matte display
128GB SanDisk M.2 SSD (SATA)
  • I replaced this with a Crucial MX300 512GB M.2 SSD for better speed and capacity! You can replace this with whatever SSD you want, however (if you even want to).
1TB 5400RPM Western Digital HDD

Intel AC 3165 Wireless card:
  • You WILL need to replace this to get wireless functionality! See "Hardware Compatibility Notes" for more information.
Hardware Compatibility Notes
  • As the Intel AC 3165 wireless card is not supported in macOS (nor are any of the other Intel cards for the matter), you need to replace it with a wireless card that will work in macOS. I replaced mine with the Dell DW1560, which runs off of the BCM94352Z chipset, which will work well in macOS! You can find them on eBay for ~$35 (at the time of writing this guide).
  • The nVidia GTX 1050 Ti will need to be disabled to be able to boot macOS on this laptop! (At least for now) This is because macOS doesn’t support Optimus technology, and they use their own proprietary gMux GPU switching configuration. It is also common practice to disable the dedicated GPU to save power and increase efficiency via using the integrated Intel HD Graphics.
What’s Working:

Here are the things that are currently working in my installation of macOS High Sierra (it’s 99% fully functional) (I probably forgot a couple things), and that you will have working as well if you follow this guide:
  • Full CPU power management with the Intel i7-7700HQ
  • Full GPU acceleration and power management with the Intel HD Graphics 630
  • Mostly working audio (2.0 surround, headphone jack & microphone working) with the Realtek ALC3246 (rebranded Realtek ALC256) codec
    • See the “What's Not Working” list for more information on this
  • Fully functional sleep/wake support
  • Native 720p HD front-facing camera support
    • The camera is a bit dark. However, I think this more of a hardware issue…
  • Native working USB2.0 card reader (Realtek card reader, PID 0x0177 VID 0x0bda)
  • Fully working gigabit ethernet (Realtek RTL8168H/8111H as reported by the Ethernet driver)
  • Fully implemented brightness control for the display
  • Fully implemented battery/charging support
  • TRIM support w/ SSD
    • However, I’m using HFS+ instead of APFS, which I will talk about later in this guide…
  • USB 2/3 support is fully implemented with USBInjectAll + custom SSDT
  • WiFi is reported as AirPort Extreme (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4.0)
  • Working BlueTooth with reported full compatibility with handoff and continuity (however, I haven't tested it in-depth yet)
  • ALL Apple services working natively!
    • iMessage
    • FaceTime
    • Find my Mac
    • etc…
  • Keyboard & trackpad fully working with scroll support
  • Dual booting Windows 10 (or any other version of Windows for that matter) with macOS (+ Recovery Partition)
  • USB charging port
    • This seems to work independently of the OS as I was able to charge my iPhone on both Windows and macOS! Make sure you're using the USB charging port though (it's the one marked with the tiny battery icon)
What’s Not Working

Here is the current list of things that are not working with this laptop, but I would like to (and am currently working on to) get working in the near future:
  • Full native 2.1 surround audio: I actually have solved this problem via implementing custom configurations to the AppleHDA driver, but there are a lot of “side effects” that come along with my implementation that I’m still trying to sort out! With the current configuration (from AppleALC), the speakers work in Stereo (basically 2.0 surround), but the built-in subwoofer doesn't work at all! That's what the extra ".1" signifies, and I've been trying to get it working for a while, and it's coming along!:thumbup: Still a few things to sort out, however...:think:
  • Keyboard brightness up/down keys: The SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Display section is missing, so I can’t reprogram these keys to get them working! I haven’t figured out how to get this submenu to show up again, but this is probably a simple fix...
  • Fans are not being properly reported in HWMonitor! (Or in general to the system) I’m working on a fix for this, and I will update this guide when I do manage to get this working accurately!
  • HDMI & HDMI audio from HDMI port
    • This will probably not be able to work because the HDMI port is attached internally to the nVidia GTX 1050 Ti, which we have disabled to get macOS running on this laptop smoothly!
Haven’t Tested yet

These are the features / capabilities that I haven’t tested yet, and may or may not be working:
  • Fine brightness/volume control
  • Multi-touch gestures with trackpad
  • Handoff & Continuity
Before You Start

Now let’s get on with installing and setting up macOS on this laptop! :D

I will also not be mentioning exact specifics, as much more detailed instructions on how to do a lot of these things are available elsewhere on the forum, and I will be linking to those guides instead.

I would highly recommend having some prior knowledge to hackintoshing in general and with macOS / OS X. Take a look here for some general information:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/high-sierra-laptop-support.192/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Step 1: Prepare your macOS High Sierra installation USB

We will setup macOS on this computer using Clover (Legacy boot loaders not supported) so that we can enable full UEFI support!

For this step, you will either need a real working Mac (to get the Installer) or another working Hackintosh where you can download and setup the Installer as well.

We will be setting up our macOS Installation USB using the “createinstallmedia” method, and you will need a USB flash drive that’s at LEAST 16GB (you can technically use an 8GB USB, but it may not work, and I won’t be helping people setup an installation USB for macOS on an 8GB flash drive). Using this method is the only way to enable native support for macOS’s recovery partition, and it’s the most native way to install macOS (as real Mac’s use this method).

This is all detailed to a much higher precision than I could achieve in the following guide, so see here on how to make a working installation USB:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Step 2: Install and setup Clover on your macOS High Sierra Installation USB

Now that we have our installation USB with the macOS installer on it, we need to install Clover on it and configure it so that we will be able to boot the installer USB and install macOS!

Download the latest revision of the Clover bootloader (as of writing this guide, the latest version is r4243, but it is constantly being updated). Make sure you have the latest revision, as this laptop depends on some of the newer implemented Clover features to be able to work as well as it does currently.

Run the Clover installer with the following settings:
  • “Install for UEFI booting only” / “Install Clover in the ESP”
  • Themes -> “metal” (you can choose any theme here as it doesn't really matter, but we’ll just use this one for simplicity and the provided config.plist's for this guide use the "metal" theme)
  • Drivers64UEFI -> OsxAptioFixDrv2.efi
    • You may have success using “OsxAptioFixDrv.efi”, but the alternate version (the one you see above) worked for me when I was installing macOS on this machine. If you see an error about “memory allocation” when you attempt to boot the USB, switch which “OsxAptioFixDrv” you’re using.
Now that the Clover bootloader is installed, we need to configure our installation so that we can boot the USB on the laptop! Open up the newly mounted “EFI” partition that appeared in Finder (if it doesn’t show up for you, you can mount it using diskutil) and navigate to the EFI/CLOVER folder.
  • Replace the default config.plist with the config.plist provided in the “Clover USB files” folder that is attached at the bottom of the guide
  • Add the two EFI drivers located in "Clover USB Files"/drivers64UEFI to CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
    • These two drivers allow for the support of the HFS+ filesystem and the APFS filesystem! They are important...:p
  • Remove VBoxHfs-64.efi if it's present (it's inherently less efficient than the HFSPlus.efi that we just installed)
  • Add all of the kexts in "Clover USB Files"/drivers64UEFI to CLOVER/kexts/Other
    • I would also remove all of the “10.X” folders as well to ease possible confusion
These files will get you to the installer, but DO NOT expect everything to work! Only the essentials items needed to boot into the installer are provided/installed with the steps above!
With that, your Clover USB should now be fully setup to install macOS High Sierra! :thumbup:

Step 3: Update BIOS/UEFI settings

Before we boot our newly created USB, we need to change some settings in the UEFI (BIOS) setup to make sure that everything will run smoothly!

First, make sure that you have the latest UEFI flashed on the laptop. At the time of writing this guide, the latest UEFI firmware version for this laptop is v1.1.0.

Now, boot into the UEFI settings of the Inspiron 15 7567 (press / mash F2 when the computer first turns on) and change the following settings:
  1. Make sure you are using UEFI under “Boot list option"
  2. Disable Legacy Option ROMs
  3. Change SATA operation to AHCI (it may be set to “RAID On” which it was for me)
  4. Make sure Secure Boot is disabled or else you won't be able to boot anything other than Windows (basically...)
  5. Make sure VT for Direct I/O (VT-d) is disabled
These are all of the options that are necessary for you to boot the installer, but you can change any other options to your liking.
I would also recommend to plug in the charger, as some users using this laptop's last-gen brother had issues booting into the USB without the charger plugged in.

Step 4: Booting the USB installer and Installing macOS

We now have everything setup for us to boot into the installer!

Power on the computer and press / mash F12 to enter the “one-time boot menu”. Here, select your USB from the list of available options.

Note: If you don’t see your USB listed, you may have to boot into the BIOS (F2) and in the “Boot sequence” menu, manually add your USB as a boot option, and the boot back into the “one-time boot menu” (F12) and select the newly created boot option to be able to boot your USB.

Note for me: add images! :thumbup:

Once you’re greeted with the Clover boot loader menu screen, select the “Install macOS High Sierra” option from the boot options.

I would boot with -v by pressing spacebar once you have the specific option selected and selecting “verbose boot (-v)”, and then selecting “Boot OS X with the following options”. This will make it easier to debug incase you don’t make it to the installer screen.

Once you’ve made it to the installer, select “Disk Utility” to erase and format the Internal SSD (or HDD if you choose)!

Note: At this point, you’re going to have to decide whether you want to install macOS using HFS+ or APFS. For me personally, I went ahead and installed macOS using HFS+, as a) it’s more reliable than APFS (in my opinion), and b) I was having various issues with it when I was experimenting with it (issues synonymous to file system corruption). To see how to install with HFS+ instead of APFS, see here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/ (specifically, read post #2)

Go ahead and partition your SSD for one partition, and name that whatever you’d like. Format it for HFS+ or APFS (whichever one you prefer).

Note: If you want to dual-boot with Windows later, make sure you split it into TWO partitions instead of just one. See "Dual-Booting Windows" at the end of the guide for more information.

Once you’ve formatted your disk, close Disk Utility and select “Install macOS”. Select the drive that you want to install it to (hopefully that’s your Internal SSD), and let it install!

It will reboot one time after you start it to start the actual installation, so once it reboots just select the internal partition that the installer created to continue the installation process.
Note: (If you’re going to use HFS+ instead of APFS this is when you would make the adjustments that are in the post linked above)

After this, you should land at the macOS Setup screen, and you will have successfully installed macOS High Sierra onto your Dell Inspiron 15 7567! :D

Step 5: Post-Installation

Once you have booted into the macOS desktop, the first thing you will want to do is to install the Clover bootloader onto your internal SSD/HDD. There are wireless kexts that are included in the installer (however those are only for Broadcom wireless cards, but those will work if you decide to get the same DW1560 that I acquired), as well as an Ethernet kext, to allow you to download the Clover boot loader package. You could also just download the boot loader from another computer and transfer it to the laptop via USB or some other means.

Run the Clover bootloader installer with the following settings:
  • “Install for UEFI booting only” / “Install Clover in the ESP”
  • Themes -> “metal” (you can choose any theme here as it doesn't really matter, but we’ll just use this one for simplicity and the provided config.plist's for this guide use the "metal" theme)
  • Drivers64UEFI -> OsxAptioFixDrv2.efi
    • You may have success using “OsxAptioFixDrv.efi”, but the alternate version (the one you see above) worked for me when I was installing macOS on this machine. If you see an error about “memory allocation” when you attempt to boot the USB, switch which “OsxAptioFixDrv” you’re using.
  • Drivers64UEFI -> EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
    • This is one of two things you need to install to be able to get NVRAM working!
  • Select "Install RC scripts on target volume"
    • This is the second thing you need to install to be able to get NVRAM working! It works in conjunction with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
Now that we have the Clover boot loader installed onto our HDD/SSD, we need to customize it to be able to match our system.

Navigate to the /EFI/CLOVER folder that has just appeared, and change the following things:
  • Replace the existing config.plist with the config.plist from “Clover Post-Install Files” (all of the files will be attached at the end of the guide)
  • Add the two EFI drivers from “Clover Post-Install Files”/drivers64UEFI to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, and remove VBoxHfs-64.efi (just like when we setup the USB)
  • Add the included "SSDT-i7567.aml" SSDT into your /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder!
    • This one SSDT contains the contents of about ~7-8 different SSDT patches, and I bundled them so that you guys wouldn't have to clutter the patched folder:lol:! These are trivial to getting the system working fully!
  • Install all of the kexts that are located in “Clover Post-Install Files”/kexts to /System/Library/Extensions using your favorite kext installer. I personally use Kext Wizard, but YMMV.
  • You can keep some of the kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other however (such as the kexts that we used in the installer). It’s not recommended to dump all of your kexts into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, but again, YMMV.
That should be it for the configuration of your /EFI/CLOVER folder! Hooray!

Once you have your Clover configuration all setup, reboot the laptop and boot with “-f” (no caches) to be able to rebuild the system kext caches.

After booting into macOS, open terminal and type in the following command:

Code:
Sudo touch /system/library/extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Once that finishes, you can reboot and you now have a near-fully working macOS install on your Dell Inspiron 15 7567!
Congrats! :clap:

Dual-Booting Windows
Once you have your macOS partition setup, you can simply prepare a Windows USB (I won't go into the specifics of that in this guide) and then boot it (you may have to add the USB as a boot option manually like what was described in the Installation process). One thing however: Make sure you don't erase your macOS partition! That would be very painful...

If you get an error about the fact that you "couldn't partition the drive" properly in the Windows installer, you may have to remove all other drives except the drive you're wishing to install Windows to. (I'm not sure how accurate this is as I'm running from memory at this point :lol:).

It should be easy sailing from there, however!

Todo for me: Be more descriptive about various patches used! :thumbup:

Notes / Other Info

If you guys want to follow the active development that I'm doing to enable 100% functionality on this laptop, see my "General Installation Issues" thread!
Dell Inspiron 15 7567 - General Installation Issues

Guide History
  • 10/18/17: First release
  • 10/22/17: Confirmed working USB charging port
Conclusion

This is my first guide, so if you guys have any questions or things that need clarifying, please let me know and I will do my best to help you, and then update the guide! :D

This guide will be updated in the future as I manage to fix currently unsupported things and as more people install macOS on this laptop!

Thank you!

-Duncan

Attachments

• macOS High Sierra Installation Guide - i7567 .zip
    5 MB · Views: 5,162
Last edited:
This is great, i've been struggling for a while on my inspiron 7567, just got down to the wifi not working and had a usb wifi adapter arrive today, I'd rather not use that anymore and now you've confirmed the Dell DW1560. Gonna send it back and order that internal wifi card instead :) thanks!

I have seen your posts and struggle in other threads to get it working and appreciate that you have decided to help the rest of us who has same machine and struggling.
I have managed to get it running but this thread made mine sound like not working at all :) So ill try to re- install using your guide.
Thank you Duncan.

Edit: I can confirm that as Duncan provided guide and files (config.plist, kexts) brings almost perfection to otherways hard to setup laptop. Just make sure to follow his guide. Now since i found the perfect guide will try to install windows alongside sierra.

Update: If you cant see your HDD on clover boot screen add AHCIPortInjector.kext to Clover/Kexts/Other. For people who have problems with installation you can try cloverHDA for alc256 (attached). You need to make sure layout_id is set to 13.

Attachments

• AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 501
  • ALC256_v2 - Working Combojack.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Are you sure that HDMI won't work? I have an Acer Vx15 with the exactly the same configuration and HDMI works fine.

Don't know if something is different inside, like you said, HDMI being directly attached to the graphics card, but it is working just fine.

Are you sure that HDMI won't work? I have an Acer Vx15 with the exactly the same configuration and HDMI works fine.

Don't know if something is different inside, like you said, HDMI being directly attached to the graphics card, but it is working just fine.

Could you boot into Windows and see what GPU the HDMI port is attached to? You can check this by looking at the display properties in Windows, which will show show you which graphics device is driving a given monitor. It looks like yours is attached to the Intel HD Graphics (thus why it's working), but if it's not, this could be interesting!

Thanks for sharing! :D

-Duncan

Could you boot into Windows and see what GPU the HDMI port is attached to? You can check this by looking at the display properties in Windows, which will show show you which graphics device is driving a given monitor. It looks like yours is attached to the Intel HD Graphics (thus why it's working), but if it's not, this could be interesting!

Thanks for sharing! :D

-Duncan

Yep, I think you are right.

The only thing that stopped mine from working wad Smbios, 14,3 I have no signal, 14,2 works fine

Hello. My Dell Inspiron 15 7567 aparently has a Qualcomm Wireless Chip... Is this compatible? See:

1606677937723.png

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
"For this step, you will either need a real working Mac (to get the Installer) or another working Hackintosh where you can download and setup the Installer as well."
Is there anyway around this step? I don't have access to a mac. Thanks

"For this step, you will either need a real working Mac (to get the Installer) or another working Hackintosh where you can download and setup the Installer as well."
Is there anyway around this step? I don't have access to a mac. Thanks
nope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back