Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (skylake)

Thanks I will try. BUT, I am confused because everything I've read (especially from some highly regarded people here) says to ALWAYS install kexts in L/E except for FakeSMC. Now you say those three kexts should be in my EFI folder.

They are currently in L/E and it works fine. That's why I don't get why merely updating them causes my 7559 to crash on boot.
all kexts belong in /L/E including FakeSMC

and also keep a copy of essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

you will find you have some kexts in both places, which is fine

config.plist:
InjectKexts->Detect

all kexts belong in /L/E including FakeSMC

and also keep a copy of essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

you will find you have some kexts in both places, which is fine

config.plist:
InjectKexts->Detect

So, basically, I would need to ensure the kexts in L/E that are also in clover/kexts/other are identical versions?

What is the purpose of keeping a copy of essential kexts in clover/kexts/other if they are already in L/E?

So, basically, I would need to ensure the kexts in L/E that are also in clover/kexts/other are identical versions?

What is the purpose of keeping a copy of essential kexts in clover/kexts/other if they are already in L/E?
keep only essential kexts in clover to be able to reach Recovery, useful for macOS updates

yes, keep identical versions

So with essential (updated) kexts in OTHER folder, still reboots during boot but noticed once that the laptop display turned to a bunch of garbage right before rebooting.

Thinking that there is some video config issue (which does not exist with my current working config), I tried using the Clover Options at boot and enable InjectIntel and I set the ig-platform-id to 0x19120000, and booted the OS. This time, it did not reboot, but the laptop screen stayed black. On a hunch, I plugged in my HDMI external monitor, and there is the login screen! Logged in and everything is fine on the external screen, but laptop screen is black.

So, as suspected, just updating the three kexts is causing some sort of video issue. Keeping in mind I have the 4K screen, how should my "InjectIntel" and graphics clover settings be? I'm guessing 0x19200000 is not quite right and is why only my external monitor is working.

So with essential (updated) kexts in OTHER folder, still reboots during boot but noticed once that the laptop display turned to a bunch of garbage right before rebooting.

Thinking that there is some video config issue (which does not exist with my current working config), I tried using the Clover Options at boot and enable InjectIntel and I set the ig-platform-id to 0x19120000, and booted the OS. This time, it did not reboot, but the laptop screen stayed black. On a hunch, I plugged in my HDMI external monitor, and there is the login screen! Logged in and everything is fine on the external screen, but laptop screen is black.

So, as suspected, just updating the three kexts is causing some sort of video issue. Keeping in mind I have the 4K screen, how should my "InjectIntel" and graphics clover settings be? I'm guessing 0x19200000 is not quite right and is why only my external monitor is working.
0x19120000 is for desktops
0x191B0000 is for laptops

0x19120000 is for desktops
0x191B0000 is for laptops
0x191B0000 was already present, but InjectIntel was not checked on this unit and it's been working great until updating the 3 kexts.

But, I enabled it, and updated kexts and put them both in EFI OTHER and L/E and rebooted successfully! So, the new versions must have changed something that requires me to InjectIntel.

Thank you for your help.

Next problem, though, is when I go to install the macOS update, after the 1st reboot and about 30 seconds, I get the circle with a slash. Retried with -v and saw it stalled on the com.apple.apfs (or something similar), so it seems it's having an issue loading APFS support. Ugh. My desktops have had no such issues when updating the latest macOS so it's puzzling.

I'm getting closer, but it's just been a nuisance getting this 7559 updated.

Last edited:
0x191B0000 was already present, but InjectIntel was not checked on this unit and it's been working great until updating the 3 kexts.

But, I enabled it, and updated kexts and put them both in EFI OTHER and L/E and rebooted successfully! So, the new versions must have changed something that requires me to InjectIntel.

Thank you for your help.

Next problem, though, is when I go to install the macOS update, after the 1st reboot and about 30 seconds, I get the circle with a slash. Retried with -v and saw it stalled on the com.apple.apfs (or something similar), so it seems it's having an issue loading APFS support. Ugh. My desktops have had no such issues when updating the latest macOS so it's puzzling.

Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

Thank you for your help.

Are you booting with the -cdfon flag since you have a UHD display? I did not install the kexts needed by clover in /L/E but even if you do you still need them in the CLOVER partition.

Can’t boot to the installer..
Someone succeed to fix it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 131
Use SSDT-PNLF.dsl at https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/raw/master/hotpatch/SSDT-PNLF.dsl and set RMCF.BKLT to 5.

// BKLT: Backlight control type
//
// bit0=0: Using IntelBacklight.kext
// bit0=1: Using AppleBacklight.kext + AppleBacklightInjector.kext
// bit1=1: do not set LEVW
// bit2=1: set GRAN

Hi,
I have that problem too I can't adjust the brightness.. I copied the SSDT-PNLF.dsl you gave but I can't find the line you told to change..you can explain for me again? or show me how to change it?

the brightness is the last thing that not working for me..

thanks!

Back