Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (skylake)

You still need the VoodooPS2Controller. Without it I had error booting into MacOS (it wouldn't do it and would just restart). Install the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad to /L/E with kextbeast.
I'm having a hard time finding the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad kext. Do you have a download link or can you attach it to a reply?

Thanks.

I went a different route for WIFI and BT in my 7559, as I didn't have a DW1560 and didn't necessarily want to pay $60 for one (cheaper from China, but who wants to wait?).

So, I had just received some BCM94360CS2 WiFi cards ($6 ea) for my Hackintosh desktops (Dell Inspiron 3670 DT), and I had some NGFF M.2 adapters for them ($9), but of course, the area where the WIFI card is in the 7559 is smaller than the adapter. But, there is plenty of space, if the plastic around the WIFI card were removed. It's thin, hollow plastic, so it was easy to clip away the plastic and make the WIFI tray area large enough for the adapter.

I mounted the BCM94360CS2 to the adapter and inserted it in the WIFI slot. Put the case bottom back on (there is a slight bulge where the WIFI card is as it just barely rises above the level of everything else, but it's doable and the laptop still sits fine). I fired it up, and voila! -- Instant WIFI and BT, with AirDrop confirmed working.

That's the $15 solution to 100% compatible WIFI and BT in a laptop! :)

Last edited:
For the Touchpad gesture to work use ApplePS2SmartTouchpad

May I ask if you are using the ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext? It does add in all the gestures, but I'm having a really hard time using the trackpad like I normally would.

I think, because the entire trackpad responds to touch (even the button areas), that when I use one finger to move the cursor and another finger rests on a button, the trackpad driver is seeing that as a two finger gesture and does all sorts of weird things. If I have 100 files selected in finder and I try to drag and drop them using the trackpad, it will try to open all 100 files, or makes the finder window larger (as I am dragging, it thinks I am resizing the window). Or other times, there is some sort of repeat issue where a click on a menu item will repeat 10 times like it's stuck.

For now, I'm using a magic mouse, but it'd be nice to be able to use the trackpad. I could remove the kext and go back to basics, but if there is a way to make this work better, I'd prefer that.

Thanks.

May I ask if you are using the ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext? It does add in all the gestures, but I'm having a really hard time using the trackpad like I normally would.

I think, because the entire trackpad responds to touch (even the button areas), that when I use one finger to move the cursor and another finger rests on a button, the trackpad driver is seeing that as a two finger gesture and does all sorts of weird things. If I have 100 files selected in finder and I try to drag and drop them using the trackpad, it will try to open all 100 files, or makes the finder window larger (as I am dragging, it thinks I am resizing the window). Or other times, there is some sort of repeat issue where a click on a menu item will repeat 10 times like it's stuck.​

For now, I'm using a magic mouse, but it'd be nice to be able to use the trackpad. I could remove the kext and go back to basics, but if there is a way to make this work better, I'd prefer that.

Thanks.

I am using the ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext. But not going to lie I have disabled almost all of the additional gestures as I don't use them.. Only reason as to why I am using the kext is because of proper scroll support with two fingers I get from it.

Not sure how many people who have done this Mojave install on their 7559 are still watching this thread (maybe I should start a new thread to ask questions?), but still a couple issues are happening. Overall, it works beautifully, but a couple issues still remain:
  • Sleep. It's hit or miss whether the laptop even goes to sleep, but if it does, when I wake it by pressing the power button, the screen comes back, but it's frozen. The cursor moves, but it's basically frozen and I have to power off. Most of the time it just doesn't go to sleep. The display DOES turn off according to the timer, though.
  • SD Card reader mostly works. After copying a few hundred photos off of cards, it stopped working (it would see the volume but would not transfer anything). A hard power down and back on was required to get it working again.
  • Brightness keys -- used the config.plist code posted back on page 3 (without using ApplePS2SmartTouchpad), but the native brightness keys do not work. Fn+S and Fn+B still do adjust and shows the OSD meter. But the F11/F12 do not adjust. Of course, with ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext, nothing works.
  • Battery level reporting -- the percentage shown by macOS in the top-right part of the menu bar does not match what HWMonitor reports for the battery. On a relatively high charge, macOS reported 92% but HWMonitor reported 88%. As the battery drained down, at around 25%, they both matched.
All in all...pretty minor stuff. This project is almost perfect (at least more perfect than any other laptop project has bee), and with 4K screen working, WIFI and BT, performance, SSD's (wish it had NVMe), etc., it's pretty nice!

Not sure how many people who have done this Mojave install on their 7559 are still watching this thread (maybe I should start a new thread to ask questions?), but still a couple issues are happening. Overall, it works beautifully, but a couple issues still remain:
  • Sleep. It's hit or miss whether the laptop even goes to sleep, but if it does, when I wake it by pressing the power button, the screen comes back, but it's frozen. The cursor moves, but it's basically frozen and I have to power off. Most of the time it just doesn't go to sleep. The display DOES turn off according to the timer, though.
  • SD Card reader mostly works. After copying a few hundred photos off of cards, it stopped working (it would see the volume but would not transfer anything). A hard power down and back on was required to get it working again.
  • Brightness keys -- used the config.plist code posted back on page 3 (without using ApplePS2SmartTouchpad), but the native brightness keys do not work. Fn+S and Fn+B still do adjust and shows the OSD meter. But the F11/F12 do not adjust. Of course, with ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext, nothing works.
  • Battery level reporting -- the percentage shown by macOS in the top-right part of the menu bar does not match what HWMonitor reports for the battery. On a relatively high charge, macOS reported 92% but HWMonitor reported 88%. As the battery drained down, at around 25%, they both matched.
All in all...pretty minor stuff. This project is almost perfect (at least more perfect than any other laptop project has bee), and with 4K screen working, WIFI and BT, performance, SSD's (wish it had NVMe), etc., it's pretty nice!

Funny thing about NVMe, I called up Dell support asking whether the M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA3 and he said its NVMe. So I ordered a 950Pro (This was when it just came out). I never worked called up Dell saying why the Slot is not working and another representative said that it is SATA3 only. So I did my own research and found out that the hardware is NVMe compatible but they have managed to block it from BIOS because it is an expensive feature that is only reserved for their higher series (aka XPS). So maybe there is a way to unlock it?

For the battery Level I agree with you because I was running the laptop on 0% for 30min (Medium High brightness). Which didn't seem right. xD

Funny thing about NVMe, I called up Dell support asking whether the M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA3 and he said its NVMe. So I ordered a 950Pro (This was when it just came out). I never worked called up Dell saying why the Slot is not working and another representative said that it is SATA3 only. So I did my own research and found out that the hardware is NVMe compatible but they have managed to block it from BIOS because it is an expensive feature that is only reserved for their higher series (aka XPS). So maybe there is a way to unlock it?

Dell has been known to do that. Their T30 low-end server, has a m.2 slot on the system board and with early versions of BIOS, it works with NVMe drives. Later BIOS revisions blocks the slot from working at all. It's exactly the same system board as they use in their Precision line of workstations, and like your example of XPS competition, they felt that feature was worth too much money to allow it in a low-end model. Two different products (T30 server and Precision), exact same system board, but Dell blocks hardware. Pretty crappy.

But there are plenty of Inspiron laptops that DO have usable NVMe slots, so not sure the "XPS factor" really means anything now. It sure would be nice if Dell could unblock the NVMe, if that is the case!

Hi

Can anyone advise how to implement the -cdfon boot flag please

Back