Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (Skylake, i7-6700HQ, Intel HD 530) Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of text without a mention of the problem... What is the problem you're trying to solve?

Getting the OSX install screen to appear instead of the circle slash icon with garbled text with "still waiting for root device" appearing at the bottom, which indicates a USB problem - it's the same problem I'd been posting updates on over the last few days, regardless of numerous attempts with various changes to config.plist, and double-checking and adding kexts, trying different USB ports, graphic id #s, and so on...

I never advocated using a USB3. I always suggest people try both, as it is difficult to predict which one will work (until you get a chance to look at ioreg which will tell you what is going on with USB ports).

Thank you for mentioning ioreg. Will see what I can do to find out what might be going on.

I did use "advocated" as a synonym of "suggest". Re-reading my earlier post, I apologize - you did suggest trying USB3 as I was hyper-focused on USB2... (I really am grateful for the tips and help you've posted, to me and to others...)

Skylake poses a lot of problems for USB because the XHC controller is the only option (no EHCI controller to route to), and all Skylake XHC controllers have more ports than the 15 allowed by the OS X drivers.

You should take a good read of the USB guide, so you have a better understanding of the issues surrounding USB.

Usually you can find one port that will work... But it may require the use of USBInjectAll.kext and/or the port limit patch (port limit patch is not a long term solution).

One port on the left side has behaved better than the others. The port on the right side has been consistently useless, which I confirmed yesterday. That might or might not hold true for other owners of this laptop attempting an install from Clover.

USBInjectAll.kext has been used in every install attempt since Sunday. I've made sure it existed in the kexts/Other folder and ensuring all the OSX folders (10.9, 10.10, 10.10.11, etc) were deleted so Clover install would take what it needs specifically from the Other folder.

I'll re-read the USB guide, might need to do so a couple more times to get a fuller understanding over time. I believe it was your post from Sept 30 2015, but I had also used GenericUSBXHCI (which it references, which also didn't do any good...) That's also where the EHCx->EH0x idea came into play, which I brought up earlier...

I'd tried multiple boot attempts with and without FakePCIID_XHCIMux already. But Dell states the laptop has only USB3 ports, no USB2 ports.

The only thing left untried from that post's list is patching DSDT...

I'll try a couple more attempts after double-checking the Other folder. If both GenericUSBXHCI and USBInjectAll are both present, and as of yesterday PM that is a possibility, that could cause problems as well.

It's strange that the same make/model/BIOS version/RAM quantity/etc works for one person and not another, and following the post's steps to the letter (A-G) doesn't yield success, which is why I believe there is something else missing despite it all, and not just Skylake itself making USB issues more complex.

I also recently learned as of this morning that the BIOS setting "USB Debug mode" is the BIOS's function to disable USB3 compatibility, which would render everything like USB2. That's giving me a couple other ideas. But that also means putting FakePCIID_XHCIMux back... I'd reformatted my USB2 stick last night but have yet to put back kexts and drivers to attempt another, fresh install.

Getting the OSX install screen to appear instead of the circle slash icon with garbled text with "still waiting for root device" appearing at the bottom, which indicates a USB problem - it's the same problem I'd been posting updates on over the last few days, regardless of numerous attempts with various changes to config.plist, and double-checking and adding kexts, trying different USB ports, graphic id #s, and so on...

You should try USBInjectAll.kext + the port limit patch.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Thank you for mentioning ioreg. Will see what I can do to find out what might be going on.

Examining ioreg not a possibility until after you install.

You should try USBInjectAll.kext + the port limit patch.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Examining ioreg not a possibility until after you install.

Cool, thanks for the additional info! I did not see the port limit patch discussion (my bad, sorry). I will look up the patch limit patch and try first...

Just for kicks, since it's a new PC, I also decided to try installing a known good version of Ubuntu. It locks up as well (citing HUB0) whereas other users of the 7559 with Ubuntu have not had installation-related problems. Am keeping all my notes documented and stick ready and am getting a hardware exchange if the port limit patch doesn't work, but I am starting to think there is hardware failure if others can install Ubuntu without issues... I've got a day before having to return so I'll be researching both OSes on official issues, but it is starting to look like something more is going on. Bum unit, possibly.

Last edited:
It's strange that the same make/model/BIOS version/RAM quantity/etc works for one person and not another, and following the post's steps to the letter (A-G) doesn't yield success, which is why I believe there is something else missing despite it all, and not just Skylake itself making USB issues more complex.

Maybe it's a bios setting the guide didn't mention? Do you have USB powershare enabled?
Would this setting make a difference:?

I too had ubuntu 16.04 freeze on me, I installed Ubuntu but had to by choosing install instead of 'try ubuntu' but after installing the nvidia-361 and nvidia-prime, it runs pretty well.

Last edited:
I just bought dell 7559 uhd ..do i have to adjust the dvmt setting pre- loc ,,, i checked the bios it is american megatrends not insydh20 bios ....for dell 7559 can i just use unibeast and then multibeast?

I just bought dell 7559 uhd ..do i have to adjust the dvmt setting pre- loc ,,, i checked the bios it is american megatrends not insydh20 bios ....for dell 7559 can i just use unibeast and then multibeast?

Read post #1.

Do you think it´s possible to install dual boot on this machine with 2 SSD´s in RAID 0?

2*240Gb Intel 540s but one of them is M.2 (Sata3) and the other classic 2,5 SATA3.

Do you think it´s possible to install dual boot on this machine with 2 SSD´s in RAID 0?

2*240Gb Intel 540s but one of them is M.2 (Sata3) and the other classic 2,5 SATA3.

With Apple software striping, probably. Definitely not using Intel RAID0.

Thanks, I´ll look that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back