Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (Skylake, i7-6700HQ, Intel HD 530) Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much thanks!

I have now done F4 in Clover and am working on figuring out how to disassemble - am stopping for now at preparing tools for disassembly. Looks like a beast but it sounds like that, from here, it's disassembling, changing code to point to fix USB (I was able to see more of "Waiting for root device" last time, that is confirmed), and patching should hopefully do some good. I saw all the Clover entries in Clover Configurator and the EHCn->EHn were already enabled, or looked that way. :(

Could you post your working EFI folder from your usb installer?

Much thanks!

I have now done F4 in Clover and am working on figuring out how to disassemble - am stopping for now at preparing tools for disassembly. Looks like a beast but it sounds like that, from here, it's disassembling, changing code to point to fix USB (I was able to see more of "Waiting for root device" last time, that is confirmed), and patching should hopefully do some good. I saw all the Clover entries in Clover Configurator and the EHCn->EHn were already enabled, or looked that way. :(

There is no EHCI controller in Skylake 100-series chipset...

Will let you know once I've got OSX installed on this model laptop (7559), though I've an idea... There are a few quirks with installing 10.11.5, even with the downloaded code that I altered based on others' situations as reflected in this thread... (I still get to the circle/slash halt point despite using a USB2.0 stick now).

Did you test Logic pro X on dell 7559 already?

Much thanks!

In your case, stick to 0x191b0000 as other ones will give you the circle with a line through. If you reboot with the USB stick still plugged in it won't work either (don't know why, it has it in its memory?). So make sure you move it to another port before rebooting or upon boot wait until the boot splash screen comes up and then plug it in.

In your case, stick to 0x191b0000 as other ones will give you the circle with a line through.

191b0000 also causes the circle with line.

Not sure what you mean by moving USB stick. I tried that at the splash screen but clover became unresponsive.

It still sounds like the issue is somehow usb-related due to "waiting for root device"... no clue as to what else I overlooked. Though the garbled text still makes me think it's video but I am using 191b0000...

Tried it again. Moving USB stick.

Didn't work, same circle and slash.

After " waiting for root device", a USBMSC identifier appeared. 4C530001181023116023 0x781 0x5581 0x100, 3

I shut down and repeated the process but without moving USB stick. Either way, same and result. :(

191b0000 also causes the circle with line.

Not sure what you mean by moving USB stick. I tried that at the splash screen but clover became unresponsive.

It still sounds like the issue is somehow usb-related due to "waiting for root device"... no clue as to what else I overlooked. Though the garbled text still makes me think it's video but I am using 191b0000...

If you're booting the system from a USB volume, and getting a garbled "still waiting for root device"...

- it is not graphics related (therefore, ig-platform-id has nothing to do with it)
- it is USB related (system is not able to mount root)

There is no EHCI controller in Skylake 100-series chipset...

Grand... feels like I'm running out of options and most people who've followed all this to the letter have gotten farther. Like a needle in a haystack I did look through posts 1-10, and I still get get past step G (I'm using a single HDD and not dealing with a dual boot situation). Would love to make it to step H since it's a slice of cake from there...

If you're booting the system from a USB volume, and getting a garbled "still waiting for root device"...

- it is not graphics related (therefore, ig-platform-id has nothing to do with it)
- it is USB related (system is not able to mount root)

True, you had indicated that before and I'd not forgotten-- the USBMSC identifier, being present and legible, was different and I was hoping it would have yielded another possibility. But it was said I should stay with 191B0000 (post 308, by dodvip123 (the OP) who got his model working, with a USB2 stick so I was surprised when my USB2 stick didn't yield success, with your advocating using a USB3 stick) so I am really trying every conceivable possibility.

I recreated the clover flash stick (USB3) since unexpected corruption during a config.plist edit resulted in the inability to boot from it post-Clover splash (2-lines and it halted, nothing would move forward). I still got the same circle with slash at the same point, though earlier a "Couldn't alloc class 'ApplePS2Mouse'" error appeared after another pS2 mouse error scrolled by too quickly-- so tomorrow I am starting fresh after reformatting the old USB2 stick... the original attempts with the USB2 stick didn't work before, but maybe enough has changed since my earlier attempts -- dunno. It still sounds (from others) I should be making it to step 'G', unless post #1 is missing a step on dealing with USB drivers (hence the common circle slash error with the waiting on root volume/USB drive issue). Am clutching at straws at this point.

Grand... feels like I'm running out of options and most people who've followed all this to the letter have gotten farther. Like a needle in a haystack I did look through posts 1-10, and I still get get past step G (I'm using a single HDD and not dealing with a dual boot situation). Would love to make it to step H since it's a slice of cake from there...

Lots of text without a mention of the problem... What is the problem you're trying to solve?

with your advocating using a USB3 stick

I never advocated using a USB3. I always suggest people try both, as it is difficult to predict which one will work (until you get a chance to look at ioreg which will tell you what is going on with USB ports).

Skylake poses a lot of problems for USB because the XHC controller is the only option (no EHCI controller to route to), and all Skylake XHC controllers have more ports than the 15 allowed by the OS X drivers.

You should take a good read of the USB guide, so you have a better understanding of the issues surrounding USB.

Usually you can find one port that will work... But it may require the use of USBInjectAll.kext and/or the port limit patch (port limit patch is not a long term solution).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back