Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (Skylake, i7-6700HQ, Intel HD 530) Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boot verbose, show photo.

From where did you download OS X?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?
loi.jpg

Does anyone know what could have gone wrong with my build? I attached the EFI folder that correctly detects my SATA drives (Thanks RehabMan for the config fix!).

My problem is that I will boot into the installer, and get my install partition all set up (at least 500gb HFS+ Journaled), but when I go to press Install, about 10-15 seconds in the installer fails with this message: "The target disk is too small for this operation," and then another line asking to restart the computer and try again. I have tried this with a 500gb HFS+ and the rest of the drive (~450gb) as unallocated space, and I have also tried it with the entire 1TB as HFS+. Both resulted in the same error. I used El Capitan to create the Unibeast installer. Should I backup my kexts/config and try to remake the USB? Or is there a fix that I should try to apply?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 76
Ok, quick update: I solved my previous problem by using Disk Utility in the installer instead of Macdrive on Windows to create my install partition. I ran Disk Utility>Selected my 1TB drive>Erase>named it and made sure it said GUID Partition Table>Apply. I actually ran this twice in the same boot before pressing Install, in case these steps don't work for anyone just trying to Erase once. I also double checked using Terminal>'diskutil list' that my install destination's EFI partition was ~209.7MB, as opposed to my Windows install EFI which was ~108.9MB (I've read that OS X's EFI is roughly double the size of Window's, so it was just a quick check).

But I've run into yet again another issue. The installer successfully installed, and it restarted. I chose my Installer USB to get to clover, and I booted the newly installed partition from the 1TB drive. It spat out everything I saw before when I booted the installer USB, but after the verbose was done, it put me at a black screen with a flashing cursor. Not just an underscore cursor, but one where the entire character slot is white. I was expecting an Apple logo and loading bar, similar to when I booted the installer drive. My EFI is the same as attached in the post above this.

Edit: booting in Safe mode (-x) will let me get to the post-install. Will follow the rest of the guide then see where I'm at!

Edit 2: I was able to complete the OS X setup in safe mode, but I could not mount the Mac's EFI partition to install clover (I want clover on my 1TB drive, and I will make that my first boot priority in my bios). I can boot to OS X, but only in safe mode. The verbose output when I boot without safe mode does not throw any errors that I can see. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok, quick update: I solved my previous problem by using Disk Utility in the installer instead of Macdrive on Windows to create my install partition. I ran Disk Utility>Selected my 1TB drive>Erase>named it and made sure it said GUID Partition Table>Apply. I actually ran this twice in the same boot before pressing Install, in case these steps don't work for anyone just trying to Erase once. I also double checked using Terminal>'diskutil list' that my install destination's EFI partition was ~209.7MB, as opposed to my Windows install EFI which was ~108.9MB (I've read that OS X's EFI is roughly double the size of Window's, so it was just a quick check).

But I've run into yet again another issue. The installer successfully installed, and it restarted. I chose my Installer USB to get to clover, and I booted the newly installed partition from the 1TB drive. It spat out everything I saw before when I booted the installer USB, but after the verbose was done, it put me at a black screen with a flashing cursor. Not just an underscore cursor, but one where the entire character slot is white. I was expecting an Apple logo and loading bar, similar to when I booted the installer drive. My EFI is the same as attached in the post above this.

Edit: booting in Safe mode (-x) will let me get to the post-install. Will follow the rest of the guide then see where I'm at!

Edit 2: I was able to complete the OS X setup in safe mode, but I could not mount the Mac's EFI partition to install clover (I want clover on my 1TB drive, and I will make that my first boot priority in my bios). I can boot to OS X, but only in safe mode. The verbose output when I boot without safe mode does not throw any errors that I can see. Any ideas?

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

I suspect my files corrupted os x . I think I should download os x else . I would like to address to download os x . I 'm using OS X 10.11.4

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).
I'm not sure if I can upload multiple images in addition to the Clover.zip, so I've inlined them because the imgur album put them in the wrong order. Here are two images from the verbose boot, before the flashing cursor appears:
hPFjy8Z.jpg

PaUahFT.jpg

Now, on my blinking-cursor screen, sometimes when it flashes every 10 seconds there will be a bunch of lines on the screen. I recorded a video and took this screen grab from one of the times it flashed:
4zVJDD3.jpg

CLOVER.zip is attached to the post. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 94
I apologize for the double post, but I tried booting again and noticed that before the verbose output ends but before the blinking cursor appears, a bunch of lines flash across all at once. They pertain to [IGPU], so could that mean that there is an issue with my graphics? I have not done anything to disable the NVIDIA 960M yet, and in Safe Mode the About this Mac screen reports an Intel Unknown graphics card with ~1600MB of video memory.

Here's the image that I had to screengrab from another video. If it's unreadable, I can attempt to type it out.
ka55Kf4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back