HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Intro:
This is a guide to install Lion (OSX 10.7) on the Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 using the Retail OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive. It's what worked for me. It's not the most elegant method, and there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing. I'd love to hear them.

I picked up this laptop from the Dell Outlet with a 25% off coupon and ended up paying $430 including tax and shipping. It was listed as 'scratch & dent' but it looked pretty new except for a very minor scuff on the lid. You'ld have to be looking for it to see it, and it's something that the laptop would have gotten after a few days of use anyway. In any case, it was a good deal, with the following specs:

Specs:
  • i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • 4GB 8GB Single Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • 500GB SATA hard drive (7200RPM)[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030, bgn + Bluetooth[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Integrated 1.0 Mpixel webcam[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • gigabit Ethernet[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Multimedia card reader[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • USB2 (1)[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • USB3 (2)[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • eSATA/USB (1)[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • VGA[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • HDMI[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • HM67 chipset[/*:m:11plc9hq]

After a lot of googling and reading many threads and guides for other laptops, I was finally able to get a decently working system which most things working well. The one notable exception is the wireless network, but I was able to get USB wireless dongle which works well for now until I can replace the internal card.

Works:
  • Webcam
    [/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Multimedia card reader
  • USB2 (left side)
  • eSATA/USB port
  • HD3000 graphics
  • wired Ethernet
  • Bluetooth
  • Audio
  • HDMI video out
  • Keyboard (although the ~ key isn't mapped correctly... working on that)
  • Trackpad[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Kinda works:
  • USB3.0 ports will work with "USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas" kext in Multibeast, but it's a little flaky (e.g., shutdown will actually restart instead of shutdown) so I don't use it.[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Doesn't work (yet):
  • Wireless networking (not unexpected with current card, using a USB Wifi dongle for now)
  • VGA output
  • HDMI audio output[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Boot time is about a minute, from pushing the power button to having the desktop appear. Geekbench 2.2 is about 5100 (32-bit).

Milestones

The major milestones in this process were figuring out:

• booting requires a MBR formatted disk which makes the installation tricky without modifying the install disks (Apple's OSX installation script won't normally install on an MBR disk). The method here doesn't require that kind of modification, but it does require installing on an external GUID partitioned drive first and then copying the installation to the internal MBR disk.

• bootloader installation on my particular internal hard drive was problematic. Apparantly it's a common problem among a lot of modern drives using Advanced Formatting and 4K block size. The fix is to manually install the boot1h file from Chimera into the raw device for the partition after it's been unmounted.
    See the thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10897

• HD3000 graphics works but I had to define the system as a MacBook Pro 8,1. In fact, I had to do this separately in Multibeast after I ran the Easybeast part of it first (described below).[/*:m:11plc9hq]

What you'll need to follow this guide:
[/*:m:11plc9hq][/list:u:11plc9hq]

Installing Snow Leopard onto the external hard disk:

note: This is only used to run some utilities, and eventually install and copy Lion to the internal drive so it doesn't need to be upgraded to a later version of 10.6.x. And since it's on a GUID partitioned drive, we'll only boot to it with iBoot.

• boot with the iBoot CD
  • replace iBoot disk with Snow Leopard install disk, wait while listening as disk spins up...
  • hit F5 to refresh bootable list... you might have to hit it 2 or 3 times... be patient, wait a few seconds between hitting f5 again until you see "Mac OS X Install DVD" show up
  • select the "Mac OS X Install DVD" and hit enter (I've sometimes, rarely, seen a kernel panic here. Just try it again)
  • wait...
  • select your language, continue
  • when you get to the "Install Mac OS X" screen, select "Disk Utility" from Utilities menu
    [list:11plc9hq]
  • select the external drive (plugged into USB port on left side)
  • in the partition tab, create at least 3 partitions (the sizes listed below are somewhat generous)
  • Snow Leopard (20GB) - This will contain 10.6 and will be used for running Disk Utility to partition the internal drive if needed, and to clone the Lion installation from the external drive to the external drive
  • Install Lion (9GB) - used by xMove to hold Lion Install
  • Lion (20GB) - where Lion will be installed[/*:m:11plc9hq]
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]click on "Options..." and select GUID Partition Table
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]click on "Apply"
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]After partitions are created, quit Disk Utility[/*:m:11plc9hq][/list:u:11plc9hq]
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]You should be back at the "Install Mac OS X" screen. Click "Continue"
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]Agree to License, and select the Snow Leopard partition on the external drive
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]wait while installing... takes about 30 minutes
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]Install Succeeded - restart, it'll try to restart and you'll get a "Operation System not found error"
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]remove "Mac OS X Install DVD", and insert iBoot disk
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]Boot using iBoot to newly installed Snow Leopard partition
- while you're filling out the installation information, the speaker may make buzzing noises. Ignore this. It goes away after the boot is complete.

[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]Once you get to the desktop, insert the USB thumb drive or SDHC card containing the software tools. It should be mounted automatically
- copy Multibeast 4.0.2, xMove, Chimera 1.5.4, and unpkg to the desktop
- unmount and remove USB thumb drive or SDHC card[/*:m:11plc9hq][/list:u:11plc9hq]

Using xMove to create the Lion Installation tool:

If you have access to another working Mac with at least OSX 10.6.6, then
- buy Lion from App Store ($29), and run xMove to install onto "Install Lion" partition on external drive using these instructions:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

If you don't have access to another Mac
- buy the USB distribution of Lion from Apple ($69) and install onto "Install Lion" partition on external drive using these instructions:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/09/xmove-11-update-installation-with.html

With the following notes:
  • Plug USB hub to USB port on left side of laptop
  • Plug external hard drive to USB hub
  • Plug Lion USB Thumb Drive into hub
  • Boot with iBoot to Snow Leopard partition on external drive
  • Run xmove 1.1
  • Select "Retail USB Thumb Drive Install", continue
  • Change Install Location to Install Lion partition on external drive
  • Select "Retail USB Thumb Drive Install" again, continue
  • Verify install location
  • Install[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Installing Lion onto the external drive:

• Boot using rBoot
  • Select and boot to "Install Lion" partition
  • Select language & continue
  • Agree to license
  • Select external Lion partition
  • click Install
  • restart when done

• Boot using rBoot to external Lion partition
  • It will likely restart one more time
    Boot again using rBoot to external Lion partition
  • You will be prompted for an external keyboard (it won't recognize your laptop keyboard)
    Plug in a USB keyboard to hub and run through 1st time user prompts[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Copying Lion onto the internal drive

• Shutdown and reboot to external Snow Leopard parition using iBoot
  • Run Disk Utility
  • If you haven't reformatted the internal drive, it should still be MBR formatted. You can leave it that way and just resize a partition to create a new one with Disk Utility. Make sure the new partition is Mac OS Extended (journaled)

• If you previously formated it as a GUID partitioned disk, then reparition it as an MBR drive by selecting Master Boot Record under Options.

You might want to create several partitions as sandboxes and places for other operating systems. But make sure at least one of them is a Mac OS Extended (journaled).

• While you're still in Disk Utility, restore the external Lion partition to the internal disk Lion partition:
  • Click on restore
  • Drag external Lion partition to source
  • Drag internal Lion partition to destination
  • Restore (about 20 min)
  • Quit Disk Utility[/*:m:11plc9hq]
[/*:m:11plc9hq][*]After the restore is complete, the destination will have the same name as the source. You may want to rename it so that you can tell them apart. You can do this from the Finder.[/*:m:11plc9hq][/list:u:11plc9hq]

Running Multibeast

• Run Multibeast 4.0.2,

change Install Location to internal Lion partition
    use these settings...
  • Easybeast[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • System Utilities[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Voodoo PS/2 Controller[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Voodoo PS/2 Trackpad[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • Use KernelCache[/*:m:11plc9hq]
  • OSx86 Software[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Code:
+ Easybeast
+ System Utilities
- Drivers & Bootloaders
	- Kexts & Enablers
		- Audio
			- Universal
				+ VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3
		- Miscellaneous
			+ Voodoo PS/2 Controller
			+ Voodoo PS/2 Trackpad
		- Network
			+ Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6
- Customization
	- Boot Options
		+ Use KernelCache
+ OSx86 Software
[*]Run Multibeast 4.0.2 one more time
Change Install Location to internal Lion partition
Set system definition to MacBook Pro 8,1
Code:
- Customization
	- System Definitions
		- MacBook Pro
			+ MacBook Pro 8,1

Now let's deal with the bootloader...
  • First, we need to get the boot1h file from the Chimera pkg.
    Drag Chimera onto the unpkg application. A new Chimera folder should appear. Browse into it to find the boot1h file. It should be in
    Chimera 1.5.4/user/standalone/i386/boot1h

• In the Finder, select the internal Lion partition and unmount it by ejecting it. Make sure it disappears from the list of devices

• Open a Terminal window

• Move to where the boot1h file is. An easy way of doing that is to type 'cd' followed by a space, and then drag the folder where boot1h is to the terminal window and then hit enter.[/*:m:11plc9hq]

Code:
$ cd /Users/notywtr/Desktop/Chimera\ 1.5.4/usr/standalone/i386
$ pwd
/Users/notywtr/Desktop/Chimera 1.5.4/usr/standalone/i386

$ ls -l
total 504
-rw-r--r--  1 bob  staff  243360 Oct  4 18:26 boot
-rw-r--r--  1 bob  staff     512 Oct  4 18:26 boot0
-rw-r--r--  1 bob  staff     512 Oct  4 18:26 boot0hfs
-rw-r--r--  1 bob  staff    1024 Oct  4 18:26 boot1h

run diskutil list to find the disk and partion numbers for the internal Lion partition

Code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                  Apple_HFS Lion                    166.8 GB   disk0s1

In my particular example, I want to install on the Lion partition on disk0s1

Now, check to see if anything is installed at the raw device

Code:
$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=2 | sum
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.335795 secs (3049 bytes/sec)
0 1

The 0 on the last line says nope!
So now, let's manually install it...

Code:
$ sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.012301 secs (83245 bytes/sec)

Let's check to see if it took hold...

Code:
$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=2 | sum
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.040802 secs (25097 bytes/sec)
6272 1

The 6272 on the last line says yes!

Now let's compare it to the boot1h file...

Code:
$ sum boot1h
6272 1 boot1h

Same number... good sign!

Now shutdown, and unplug the hub and external drive.
Reboot and cross your fingers. It should boot up!

After you've got it up and running...
install the Sleepenable and Battery kexts by dragging them onto the Kext Utility (installed into the Application folder by Multibeast), and then rebooting.

You should now have a functioning Lion installtion on your Dell 14R N4110.

Good luck with your install!

comments & constructive criticisms are welcome!

Hi Notywtr

This method is complex but it worked for you, can work for me too. I have a Dell Latitude E6320 but the specs are about equal. I'll buy the hub and the USB keyboard tomorrow and I will try this method and give feedback to you. I'm more than a month trying to install osx but without success. maybe now work. Thank you and wait for my feedback.

sorry for my poor english.

Thanks for this guide!!!

Will try this.

here things that i got stuck in verbose mode..
i already using rboot and rboot LE for booting into install lion partition.
show me some enlightment here..
thanks notywtr..

Attachments

• P06-10-11_16-38[1].jpg
    P06-10-11_16-38[1].jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,778
ludh said:
here things that i got stuck in verbose mode..
i already using rboot and rboot LE for booting into install lion partition.
show me some enlightment here..
thanks notywtr..

Sorry, the screenshot you posted is too blurry for me to read.

Just to verify, you've installed 10.6 on the external drive, ran xmove to install Lion onto the external Install Lion partition and rebooted with rBoot-LE and are now getting this error?

Also, can you verify the laptop model you have and the graphics chipset? I notice that your profile says you have Intel HD Graphics. That's different from the Intel HD Graphics 3000 that the N4110 uses. Can you verify that you have the N4110 and not the N4010 which uses a different chipset that's not Sandy Bridge. I don't know if the Lion supports N4010 chipset and graphics.

Just to verify, you've installed 10.6 on the external drive, ran xmove to install Lion onto the external Install Lion partition and rebooted with rBoot-LE and are now getting this error?
yeah, i passed those process and i got stuck in the grey apple spinning when i try to booting into install lion partition.

Also, can you verify the laptop model you have and the graphics chipset? I notice that your profile says you have Intel HD Graphics. That's different from the Intel HD Graphics 3000 that the N4110 uses. Can you verify that you have the N4110 and not the N4010 which uses a different chipset that's not Sandy Bridge. I don't know if the Lion supports N4010 chipset and graphics.
i'm using n4010 which graphics is intel HD graphics not ATI Radeon graphics. and also using i3 core. so can i still install SL or even Lion on this laptop?
thanks

ludh said:
i'm using n4010 which graphics is intel HD graphics not ATI Radeon graphics. and also using i3 core. so can i still install SL or even Lion on this laptop?
thanks

I don't know about Lion. I googled "dell N4010 osx" and it looks like people have been somewhat successful with Snow Leopard (10.6), but I haven't found any success stories with Lion (10.7).

Found a few threads on http://www.insanelymac.com talking about it, and it looks like it's been a struggle with Lion. Wish I could be more helpful.

I don't know about Lion. I googled "dell N4010 osx" and it looks like people have been somewhat successful with Snow Leopard (10.6), but I haven't found any success stories with Lion (10.7).
yeah.
but, someone amazingly can do it onto Lion with this laptop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdmcYebcSA
see?
what do u suggest?
thanks.

ludh said:
yeah.
but, someone amazingly can do it onto Lion with this laptop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdmcYebcSA
see?
what do u suggest?
thanks.

Interesting. I can't translate the site that they referenced, but it looks like they're running Lion using VMware under Windows. So you would have to boot to Windows, fire up VMWare and then do the Lion install in a virtual machine. Whenever you want to run Lion, you would have to boot up Windows first. I haven't tried that. Don't know how well that would work. You might try to contact them.

jrcamargo said:
This method is complex but it worked for you, can work for me too. I have a Dell Latitude E6320 but the specs are about equal. I'll buy the hub and the USB keyboard tomorrow and I will try this method and give feedback to you. I'm more than a month trying to install osx but without success. maybe now work. Thank you and wait for my feedback.

altievane said:
Thanks for this guide!!!

Will try this.

wondering if this guide has been useful to either of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back