Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 13 5378 (2-in-1) - MacOS 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use mine for software development and run Xcode with multiple simulators. It’s more intensive than web surfing do not sure it’s comparable. I’ve used it for a nice MacBook Pro 13 alternative for developing on the road. It’s very good.

It’s up to you if you decide to hack it. If what you have works that’s good. I also like using Linux as a well and find the battery life the same. Both OSes are probably less optimal for battery.

For comparison my 2017 MacBook Pro 13 is similar (it’s better of course speed and power wise.) but these laptops are not in the same class and from my experience the Dell is just slightly less powerful as the 13 but way more powerful than the MacBook and cost around $600.

Can you try surfing the web for a few minutes and let me know the estimated time from a full charge? I got my time estimation with only USB mouse attached with bluetooth on and middle brightness.

I can't update to High Sierra or Mojave right?

I might just try the hack.. if the time is goodish

Last edited:
Sure I’ll test it out.

I’m running High Sierra right now. I’ll give Mojave a try later.

Fair warning: I personally have had some issue getting audio working. I’m about to try AppleALC as suggested. That said, it runs well when you set it up correctly and work through compiling DSDT correctly and using current drivers for ps2 and power. Heck maybe you are able to get the audio working really well where I didn’t (I’m new to laptop hacking vs desktop hacking.)

Can you try surfing the web for a few minutes and let me know the estimated time from a full charge? I got my time estimation with only USB mouse attached with bluetooth on and middle brightness.

I can't update to High Sierra or Mojave right?

I might just try the hack.. if the time is goodish

A
Sure I’ll test it out.

I’m running High Sierra right now. I’ll give Mojave a try later.

Fair warning: I personally have had some issue getting audio working. I’m about to try AppleALC as suggested. That said, it runs well when you set it up correctly and work through compiling DSDT correctly and using current drivers for ps2 and power. Heck maybe you are able to get the audio working really well where I didn’t (I’m new to laptop hacking vs desktop hacking.)

Any updates on the battery life?

Pretty much the same. If I use it for genesl use I don’t charge for a long session. Seems to get a 3-4 hours, but I also do write code on this machine. I get a lot less if I run something intensive or run a game on it (which is rare.)

A

Any updates on the battery life?

FYI, latest High Sierra security fixes break the screen. Restored from backup and will ignore for now.

Also, AppleALC driver does not enable audio, ignoring for now as I have other means.

I'm not likely to try Mojave on this laptop for a while due to compatibility with Adobe software.

someone please helpme!i cant get audio and touch to work.. here follows my hardware report

Attachments

• Report hardware.txt
    582 KB · Views: 1,155
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back