Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 13 5378 (2-in-1) - MacOS 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This is a public service announcement: I installed the latest Dell bios (1.23.3) today and now can't boot into the MacOS. The OS hangs near the beginning of the boot process. I'm running Sierra, so I'm not sure if this is also the case with High Sierra. I checked my bios settings and secure boot is still disabled, none of my settings seemed to have changed.. I'm attaching a screen shot of my laptop screen during Safe Mode and verbose boot, on the off chance that's helpful. I'll post more files later, if I can.

Attachments

• dell-inspiron-egc.jpg
    dell-inspiron-egc.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
This is a public service announcement: I installed the latest Dell bios (1.23.3) today and now can't boot into the MacOS. The OS hangs near the beginning of the boot process. I'm running Sierra, so I'm not sure if this is also the case with High Sierra. I checked my bios settings and secure boot is still disabled, none of my settings seemed to have changed.. I'm attaching a screen shot of my laptop screen during Safe Mode and verbose boot, on the off chance that's helpful. I'll post more files later, if I can.

Did you remember to re-extract/re-patch ACPI after the BIOS upgrade?

I decided to go ahead and do a clean install of High Sierra (to upgrade from Sierra) and ended up extracting and patching my DSDT file as part of the install process. Everything seems to be working now except the battery status indicator. I installed the OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver kext but that didn't help. I couldn't find a DSDT patch for this model of laptop.

Has anyone gotten battery status working?

I spoke too soon when I said everything was working, but have managed to fix most problems by going though the various High Sierra troubleshooting posts.

Battery status is still not working, though. I installed the ACPI Battery Driver kext and disabled SSD trim. There's no battery DSDT patch for my model of laptop available. Battery status worked fine in Sierra, I'm not sure why it's not working in High Sierra. @RehabMan any help would be appreciated. Files attached.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 106
  • Erick’s MacBook Pro.ioreg.zip
    618 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I spoke too soon when I said everything was working, but have managed to fix most problems by going though the various High Sierra troubleshooting posts.

Battery status is still not working, though. I installed the ACPI Battery Driver kext and disabled SSD trim. There's no battery DSDT patch for my model of laptop available. Battery status worked fine in Sierra, I'm not sure why it's not working in High Sierra. @RehabMan any help would be appreciated. Files attached.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

OK, thanks, I rebooted, hit F4 at the clover screen, then ran the script. The zip file is attached. I couldn't get a screen shot of the verbose boot. It went by too fast. Let me know if you need that in addition to the debug files and I'll give it another try.

Attachments

• debug_14542.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 104
OK, thanks, I rebooted, hit F4 at the clover screen, then ran the script. The zip file is attached. I couldn't get a screen shot of the verbose boot. It went by too fast. Let me know if you need that in addition to the debug files and I'll give it another try.

Several kexts are not installed correctly, including ACPIBatteryManager.kext, as per kextcache output:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7feb51c19ca0 [0x7fffad581980]> { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
ACPIBatteryManager.kext does not authenticate; omitting.

See FAQ for correct kext installation procedures/locations:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back