Graphics
Intel GMA HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just finished getting my Dell 14r N4110 to boot both Lion 10.7.3 and Windows 7 64-bit from the same drive. I'm still relatively new to hackintoshing, so it took me about a week, a lot of research and a few screw ups to figure it out. Hopefully, this guide - in pulling information I've gathered from various other guides - will speed up the process of creating a Dual Boot machine for other Dell 14R owners.

This is a guide to installing OS X Lion and Windows 7 64-bit on the same drive in a Dell 14R N4110. You can also use this guide for a single boot install of Lion - just skip the stuff related to dual booting.

Note: this guide involves installing Windows 7 fresh. If you have anything on the current drive you want to keep, be sure to back up the drive before continuing and take note of the amount of space the system takes up for use in partitioning later.

The challenge of the Dell 14R is that it can only boot to an MBR disk and Lion has a problem installing on MBR. Thankfully, notywtr came up with a great workaround. It involves installing on a GUID disk and cloning that install to an MBR disk, thus bypassing the MBR install issue. Most of this guide, in fact, is adapted from various sources including that one.

The list of software, files needed and references to other processes do have links to where they can be viewed and/or downloaded... they just don't show up as links unless you scroll over them (at least that's the way it looks in my browser.)

To begin, here is what you'll need:

• Dell 14r N4110
  • External drive - at least 50GB (notywtr used a USB drive with a USB hub, but I couldn't get that to work with my setup - possibly a BIOS issue with booting from USB, but I already had an external drive with an eSATA port and it worked brilliantly - it was also much, much faster for cloning.)
  • USB hub (if you don't have an eSATA drive)
  • Retail Snow Leopard DVD
  • Windows 7 Install DVD.
  • 2 CDRWs to make the following:
  • USB Keyboard (when installing Lion, the laptop keyboard won't be recognized)
  • If you don't have access to a Mac running 10.6.6, you will need to buy the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive from Apple ($69).
  • another 8GB USB thumb drive to hold some helper files:
Now, I'm not sure what BIOS settings others may have, but mine had a password (BOO!) and, since I bought the lappy on craiglist, I didn't have the password or the ability to get the password from Dell... so no access to the BIOS. Thankfully, in the end, it worked out. If you need to know what BIOS settings you need, I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere. Now onward...

Because Lion doesn't like to install on MBR drives and the 14R only likes to boot from an MBR drive, we will be installing Lion on an external GUID drive and cloning it to the MBR drive.

Part 1: Create partitions and install Snow Leopard on the External Drive.

(Always, when trying to boot from a CD or DVD, press F12 during the DELL startup to access the Boot Options.)
  • If you are using a USB external drive, plug the drive into the USB hub and the USB hub into the USB port on the left side of the laptop. If you have an eSATA drive, plug it into the eSATA/USB port on the left side.
  • Boot up using the iBoot CD (F12 Boot options).
  • Once the iBoot screen pops up, eject the disk and insert the Snow Leopard Install DVD.
  • Hit F5 to refresh the screen until Mac OS X Install DVD shows up as an option.
  • Select it, hit enter and allow it to boot up. (If you get a kernel panic, just try again.)
  • Once it boots, select your language and hit continue.
  • At the install screen, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen.
  • Select the external drive and go to the Partition tab.
  • Use a 3 partition scheme each Mac OS Extended (journaled) :
    • Snow Leopard (20GB)
    • Lion Install (10GB)
    • External Lion (20GB)
  • Click the Options button and select GUID for partitioning scheme and then click Apply.
  • Quit Disk Utility and continue the installation process.
  • Once complete, it will restart and you will need to hit F12 to select the Boot Options again.
  • Boot into the iBoot CD and select the new Snow Leopard install.
  • Fill out all the information (the computer may make strange noises during this - it's normal and will go away once you get to the desktop.)
  • Once you reach the desktop, insert the Helper File USB thumbdrive and drag both MultiBeast folders, Chimera, xMove, and SystemInfo to the desktop. Unmount the thumbdrive. And shut down the system.
Part 2: Create the Lion Installer on the external drive.
  • Using xMove:
    • If you have another Mac with 10.6.6, download Lion from the App store ($29) and install it onto the Lion Install partition using Steps 1and 3 of the process described here.
    • If you don't have access to the above type Mac, plug the OS X Lion Thumb Drive into the USB Hub and install onto the Lion Install partition using these instructions. Selecting "Retail USB Thumb Drive Install", press continue, change the location of the install the the Lion Install partition, select "Retail USB Thumb Drive Install" again and press continue.
Part 3: Install Lion on the external drive:
  • Boot up using the rBoot-LE CD.
  • The Lion Install partition should be an option now - select it.
  • Install Lion onto the External Lion partition and restart.
  • Boot up using rBoot-LE and select the External Lion partition (it may take a couple of tries).
  • You will be prompted to attach a USB Keyboard. Plug the USB Keyboard into the left side USB port (or the USB hub, if you're using a USB external drive).
  • Enter the requested information.
  • Once you reach the desktop, you can shut down.
Here's where we will be preparing the drive to be dual boot. If you don't want a dual boot, simply skip the following steps, boot up with iBoot into the Snow Leopard and repartition the internal drive how ever you would like - or not at all. (If you do partition, remember that Lion has to be installed on the first partition.) Then skip to Part 6.

Part 4: Repartitioning the drive for Lion and Windows.
  • Boot up with iBoot into the Snow Leopard partition.
  • Open Disk Utility.
  • Click on the laptop's Internal Drive.
  • Create two partitions (or more if you want to install other OSes later):
    • Lion - Mac OS Extended (journaled)... must be the first partition.
    • WINDOWS7 - FAT32 (not exFat32)
  • Choose MBR from the Options.
  • Apply.
  • Shut down.
  • Unplug the external drive and keyboard.
    Part 5: Install Windows 7 on the WINDOWS7 Partition.
  • Insert the Windows 7 install disc and boot from that.
  • Accept the license agreement and select the 64-bit or the 32-bit version of Windows 7 to install - I think that happens there.
  • At the "Which type of installation do you want" prompt, select Custom.
  • At the "Where do you want to install Windows" prompt, select the WINDOWS7 partition we created earlier (should be Partition 2).
  • Format Partition 2 to make it NTFS.
  • Run through the rest of the installation process... it will restart a couple of times during this process - that's normal.
  • Upon completion, make sure Windows 7 is up to date and to your liking - I had to download some updates and drivers from the Dell site.
Windows 7 is working... YAY! Now, we're probably going to break it... temporarily, of course.

Part 6: Cloning External Lion to the internal drive.
  • Plug in the external drive.
  • Boot into the Snow Leopard using iBoot.
  • Open Disk Utility.
  • Choose the Restore tab.
  • Drag the External Lion partition to the Source field and the Lion partition on the internal drive to the Destination field.
  • Click on Restore.
  • The Clone on the internal drive will now likely have the same name as External Lion. You can rename it in the finder and double check that you renamed the right one in Disk Utility. For the sake of this guide, I'm calling the internal clone Internal Lion.
This takes a little bit... about 10 minutes using eSATA... probably longer over USB. Once you're done, you should have Lion installed on your first partition and Windows 7 installed on your second... but we aren't done yet...

Part 7: Upgrade to 10.7.3.

Now's probably the best time to get this bit done... it will save a little time later.
  • Boot into Internal Lion using rBoot-LE.
  • Insert the Helper File USB thumb drive and drag the 10.7.3 update to the desktop.
    • If the thumb drive doesn't show up in the Finder (I had this problem), you can always boot into Snow Leopard using iBoot, plug in the thumb drive, locate the desktop folder on the Internal Lion drive and drag the update there. Then boot into Internal Lion using rBoot-LE and continue.
  • Once you're at the desktop, open the 10.7.3 Combo Update dmg file and run the package. Let it do it's update thing. When it's done... restart.
  • Boot into Snow Leopard using iBoot.
    Part 8: MultiBeasts

Now, it may not be necessary to run both MultiBeasts, but the latest version didn't have the options notywtr suggested and the early version didn't have some of the other options that I wanted. So, I ran both and it worked fine for me. Deviate at your own risk.
    • Run MultiBeast 4.0.2
    • Agree to the license... yada, yada...
    • Select one of the choices - makes no difference which and press continue... you'll understand in a moment.
    • Change the installation location to Internal Lion.
    • Now, we will be selecting the following options:
      • EasyBeast
      • System Utilities
      • VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3
      • [font=Verdana,]Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6[/font]
      • [font=Verdana,]Use Kernel Cache[/font]
      • [font=Verdana,]OSx86 Software[/font]
    • [font=Verdana,]​[/font][font=Verdana,]Press Continue.[/font]
    • Quit
    • Run MultiBeast 4.6.1
    • Go through the same runaround as with 4.0.2
    • Change the installation location to Internal Lion.
    • Select the following options.
      • 3rd Party eSATA
      • USB 3.0 NEC/Renesas (this is a newer version than existed in 4.0.2... supposedly can be flaky, but I put it in anyway - you don't have to.)
      • PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpad
      • Chimera v 1.10.0 r1394
      • MacBookPro 8,1
      • A theme if you want one.
    • Press Continue.
    • Quit.
    Now, lets fix some problems before they become problems.

Part 9:
    - AppleACPIPPlatform.kext needs to be replaced with an earlier version.​
    - AppleHDA.kext needs to be deleted.​
    • Insert the Helper File USB thumbdrive.
    • In the Finder, navigate to the Internal Lion System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E) folder.
    • Delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext - will require a password.
    • Replace it with the 1.3.5 version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the thumbdrive. (We may have to do something with this later).
    • Scroll down and delete AppleHDA.kext from the Extensions folder.
    Part 10:
    - Fix the VoodooHDA.kext​
    • Scroll down and drag VoodooHDA.kext to the USB thumbdrive.
    • Delete VoodooHDA.kext from the Extensions folder.
    • Run SystemInfo from the desktop.
    • Find the Ven ID and the Dev ID for the High Definition Audio Controller - mine were 8086 1c20, respectively.
    • Right Click on the VoodooHDA.kext in the thumbdrive.
    • Select Show Package Contents...
    • Locate info.plist
    • Open it in text edit.
    • Scroll down until you find <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
    • Change it to <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    • Change the <string> line below it to match your Dev ID and Ven ID (for example, mine would be <string>0x1c208086</string>
    • Save.
    • Close the finder window for the Package Contents and drag the edited version of VoodooHDA.kext to the S/L/E folder on Internal Lion.
    Part 11:
    - For some reason, the bootloader doesn't install everything it needs on to an MBR.​
    • Right Click on the Chimera app on the Snow Leopard Desktop.
    • Select Show Package Contents...
    • Navigate to i386 folder
    • Open Terminal
    • Type cd
    • Drag the i386 folder onto the terminal window.
    • Press enter. (this the easy way to navigate to a directory in Terminal.)
    • Type ls -l
    • You should now see the contents of the i386 folder listed.
    • Type diskutil list
    • You should see a list of disks.
    • Locate the Internal Lion disk... it should be disk0s1, if not, just make note of which it is and alter the command below accordingly.
    • Type sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
    • Quit Terminal.
    • Shut down.
    • Disconnect all the drives and power up... hopefully, it will boot right into Lion 10.7.3 (you may get a kernel panic the first time... just try again.) Now, to do properly do some kext installations.
    • Navigate to the S/L/E folder.
    • Delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext.
    • Delete VoodooHDA.kext (both of these, while helping us boot initially, will be better off if properly installed using Kext Utility)
    • Plug in the Helper File USB thumb drive.
    • Navigate to the Applications folder and locate Kext Utility.
    • Drag AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the thumb drive onto the Kext Utility app, let it run and quit when finished.
    • Drag our edited VoodooHDA.kext from the thumb drive to the Kext Utility app, let it run and quit when finished.
    • You will likely hear static from the speakers... so, open System Preferences
    • Open the Sound preference pane.
    • On the Input tab, you will see an input with (Pink) in the name... select it.
    • Turn the input volume down to zero... problem solved (or bandaid applied, to be more accurate.)
    So... there you have it... Lion installed and running... but what about Windows?!

Restart the computer and when the Chameleon screen comes up, press tab... you should now see both your Lion drive and the Windows NTFS drive. Select the Windows drive and pray to the gods of Hackintosh.

If the gods heard you, then Windows will start up and you're good to go.

If you've somehow disappointed them, it won't. You may get an "Operation System Missing" error... or a Windows Boot Manager screen will pop up and tell you somethings wrong. What's happened is that we broke the bootmanager for Windows when we installed Lion. So, let's fix it! Time to bust out the handy dandy Windows Install DVD.

Part 12: Getting Lion and Windows both to boot.
    • Boot up using the Windows Install DVD
      • More than likely, this won't work... it'll either go directly to the Chameleon loader, it will get a boot0 error and restart... or - the ultimate tease: "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD"... YES! hit a key... "BOOTMGR is missing."
      • Keep trying... I tried many, many, many... many times, eventually gave up and went to sleep and on the first try the next day, got that tease... but it worked and the DVD loaded, but I made the wrong selection and had to start over... 20 minutes later, I got it to work again. All I can say is: Eventually, it will work. And, when it does:
    • Select Windows 7 64-bit Recovery CD (or 32-bit, if that's what you've got installed.)
    • It will load windows and after clicking through a couple of things, you'll get to a screen where the first option is "Startup Repair" and the last is "Command Prompt." Choose "Command Prompt."
    • You should get a prompt, x:\Windows\system32>
    • Type bootrec /FixMbr
    • Type bootrec /FixBoot - this got me an error notification that something couldn't be found... but this was a suggestion to do and no harm was done, so... I did.
    • Type diskpart
    • Once it starts, type list disk
      • ​This will pull up a list of drives... if there are no external drives connected, you should only see one... Disk 0.
    • Type select disk 0
    • Type list partition
      • Pulls up a list of partitions... in my case, Windows was on Partition 2.
    • Type select partition 2
    • Type active - now, the Windows partition is active.
    • Type exit and close the Command Prompt window.
    • Select Startup Repair and let it run.
    • Restart... if all went well, it should boot right into Windows.
    • Shut down.
    • Connect the external drive
    • Boot into Snow Leopard with iBoot.
    • Run MultiBeast 4.6.1
    • Do the little dance...
    • Change the installation location to Internal Lion and press Continue.
    • The only option you need to select is the bootloader - Chimera v 1.10.0 r1394
    • Press Continue.
    • When it's done... quit.
    • Shut down and disconnect the external drive.
    • Start her up!
    Now, if you do nothing, it should start into Lion. If you hit tab once the Chameleon bootloader screen appears, you should have the option for both OSes and both should work!

Enjoy!

Special thanks needs to go out to notywtr for his guide to installing Lion on an MBR disk. To tonymacx86, himself, for his guide on dual booting, oldnapalm at insanelymac.com for his guide on VoodooHDA problems and to RVKDawg (TechZoneTV) for his guide on the Windows Recovery CD.

There's still more I need to do on my machine... get a wifi card, for example... I'm going for the 1702.

And, I'm still looking for ways of optimizing Lion:
  • getting the audio to work better (getting rid of the bandaid and getting my USB microphone to work - it's recognized, but it doesn't work)
  • getting hyperthreading to work so that I get four cores instead of two.
  • getting the HDMI audio to work...
If anyone has any ideas on these or other ways of optimizing the system - or streamlining this process, please let me know.

- entspeak

Thanks for creating the guide! I'm going to use it for some tips, since I've been trying to install Lion 10.7.4 to a XPS 14z (i7 processor). I can install Lion OK on a GUID partitioned drive using Unibeast 1.3 (using USB drive), but so far can't get Multibeast to work. From your guide, it looks like I'll have to clone in order to get it to create a MBR drive.

BTW, what wireless card are you using?
Thanks!

Yeah, it seems Dell laptops really don't like the internal drive to be GUID.

I've just got the stock 1030-N card in there now, so wi-fi isn't working when I'm running Lion. I'm looking to get the Dell 1702 card.

I can't wait to get my system optimized. I can really see the difference between Lion and Windows 7 right now. For example, I've got a 22" USB monitor that Windows runs smoothly at 1920x1080 for video and it's a little choppy in Lion.

But, it's still new to me, so I'm still learning what needs to be tweaked. Biggest thing right now is getting wi-fi and audio running smoothly.

Okay... just installed the Atheros AR5B195 (DW 1702) wi-fi 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth card that I bought from NY-COMPU-TEK on ebay for $11. Used the kexts from here: AR9285/ AR5B195 / AR9002WB PCIe wireless/half size - Downloads - OSx86.net.

It got the wi-fi working, but killed bluetooth. (I can't even open the preference pane.) Not a big deal because I don't really use bluetooth, but... still... would like to fix it.

And, I can't seem to get Windows 7 to recognize the card... so, I've lost wi-fi there. Hopefully, I can figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back