Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
SPECS : H77N-WIFI | i3-3225 | 8GB(2x4) Memory | 120GB SSD | 2TBSSHD
UniBeast 6.0 OS X El Capitan 10.11

7307_big.jpg

I thought I would write up a guide for the 7 Series CustoMac Mini 2012. At the time of writing there are very few guides at all with either Z77 or H77. I'll be installing on a test partition with a fresh install of OS X El Capitan. This will be on a 250GB partition on my 2TB SSHD. After reading some threads that some users were having trouble with this system I was pleasantly surprised how trouble free it went.

BIOS Settings
1.png2.png
3.png4.png5.png

Installation

1. I followed the 10.11 Installation. Here you will create your UniBeast 6 installer. I used a 16GB USB drive. It is recommended to use a 16GB USB drive, not all cases but with some 8GB USB's are not large enough after formatting to create the installer. Ensure that your BIOS is set to UEFI or as I have it, UEFI and Legacy as I'm booting Chimera on another drive.

With OS X El Capitan downloaded from the Mac App Store I opened UniBeast. Selected my install location (my USB) and selected El Capitan. Chosen method of installation is UEFI Mode. I went for the standard installation as seen by the screen shots below (nothing selected in the graphics window).

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.33.02.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-11 at 13.40.14.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-11 at 13.35.51.png
Once you verify installation, type in your password it will create the installer.

2. With UniBeast created I inserted it in the a USB 2.0 port on the front of my case. Started the system continually pressing the hotkey(F12) so it would bring up the drive boot menu. Here I selected UEFI USB HDD. This booted to the tonymacx86 themed Clover. I used my arrow keys and selected Install OS X from USB. Note : I added no extra boot arguments I let it run, within 30 secs I reached the OS X installer.

3. Once at the installer loads. Open Utilities, Disk Utility and prepare either your drive or partition as per the 10.11 Installation guide. Renamed my partition El Capitan.

4. I selected my 250GB partition for the fresh install of OS X El Capitan. Off it went installing. (took about 22 mins) Note: it seemed to sit still at 3 mins remaining for at least a few mins, I was patient and let it continue. It then restarted where I was there to catch it at boot.

5. Pressing the hotkey(F12), the drive boot menu appeared. I selected the UEFI USB HDD again. At the Clover boot menu I used the arrow keys to select my new named partition El Capitan. Again no other boot arguments were needed. It had no problem reaching the registration and the desktop. Time for Post Installation. I wanted to get audio configured.

Post Installation

1. Open System Preferences/Security and Privacy, click on the padlock and unlock it using your system password. Select Allow Apps downloaded from anywhere.
Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.21.07.png
2. At the desktop click on Finder > Finder Preferences and tick show hard disks. Download Clover Configurator. Open Clover Configurator and instantly you will be prompted to mount EFI partition to locate the config.plist.Click Mount EFI partition. Then click on Check Partition, you'll see which partition you need to mount. You'll see mine for my USB is disk2s1 below.
Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.22.10.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.22.51.png

At this point that is all that is required so I'll move onto step 3.
You can minimise Clover Configurator window.

3. I went to two places for audio. The first place was Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA [Guide]
Note: the H77N-WIFI audio codec is ALC892. Mounted EFI partition is required for the audio script as I've installed in UEFI Mode. In the guide go down to II. Realtek ALC AppleHDA Script and choose option 1, select raw, download and run the script, do not restart, you can restart shortly.
3. a) Second place was Audio - HDMI Audio AppleHDA [Guide]. I used SSDT injection and navigated to SSDT injection, 3. IvyBridge and clicked ssdt_hdmi-hd4000. This take you to toleda's repo, I choose ssdt_hdmi-hd4000-7series-3.zip as I have no airplay devices.
3. b) With the EFI partition still mounted, open /EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and move SSDT-1.aml to it. Note: If you already have an SSDT.aml to install possibly for power management you are good. If you haven't rename it from SSDT-1.aml to SSDT.aml. (Note: the HDMI port to the left is the only one that supports HDMI audio).

4. Open Clover Configurator. At the top File>Open>EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist select open. Next I want to make my new installation partition primary boot. With the Clover Configurator window open click Boot. You can see by my screen shot that I renamed Default Volume to El Capitan. I changed time out to 3 seconds and set XMP detection to 1. Click close and save.
Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 14.53.29.png
Ok you are ready to restart. Fingers crossed!!

5. When restarting boot again from the USB and it should automatically boot to your newly created partition where you should find you have both onboard and HDMI audio.
Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.20.12.png

If you are happy with the system. Mount the EFI partition of your USB. Copy it to the desktop. Mount your hard drive EFI partition where you just installed and copy the EFI partition there. Now you can boot directly from the hard drive or if needed from the USB. Hope this helps.

Tested all USB ports and documented in Post#24

Note: in the attached EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder the SSDT.aml is purely for the i3-3225's power management. If you are using a different processor remove it and rename SSDT-1.aml to SSDT.aml or create your own for your installed processor. Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 1,000
This is great - I had just started this tonight and got a bit lost. I'll follow his step by step tomorrow. Thanks so much.

Does this method mean I don't need to run UEFI Boot Mode and Customac Essentials as per the official guide?

This is great - I had just started this tonight and got a bit lost. I'll follow his step by step tomorrow. Thanks so much.

Does this method mean I don't need to run UEFI Boot Mode and Customac Essentials as per the official guide?

This guide is for installing in UEFI mode, but you can easily interpret the steps when installing in Legacy mode. Just miss out each step for mounting the EFI partition. That is the only difference, config.plist will appear on the /root instead of in the EFI partition of the drive.

Thanks for the guide wild willow.

Can you post your BIOS settings? I have the same board and CPU but it crashes immediately after the boot loader gets passed the initialization. Just get a black screen and reboot. When I try to boot safe mood it shows an error in kernel cache. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the guide wild willow.

Can you post your BIOS settings? I have the same board and CPU but it crashes immediately after the boot loader gets passed the initialization. Just get a black screen and reboot. When I try to boot safe mood it shows an error in kernel cache. Any suggestions?

Updated Post#1 with BIOS settings. Attached EFI folder.

This guide worked very well for me transitioning from Chimera/Yosemite to Clover/El Capitan on my Mini-Hack (with quite similar specs).
I used migration assistant to restore apps/files/settings from my CCC backup of Yosemite. It actually worked!
So far, everything seems to be functioning, except for CPU temp on iStat, but this has also been reported by others in these forums.
Thanks very much wildwillow!

Dear All,
I have the exact hardware configurations. I managed to make it boot from the hard disk but I got minor graphic glitches. Any possible solutions?

Cheers

I applied the Inject Intel to config.plist. Now the glitches last for 1 second only just before desktop shows. I can live with it but any solutions will be appreciated.

This guide worked very well for me transitioning from Chimera/Yosemite to Clover/El Capitan on my Mini-Hack (with quite similar specs).
I used migration assistant to restore apps/files/settings from my CCC backup of Yosemite. It actually worked!
So far, everything seems to be functioning, except for CPU temp on iStat, but this has also been reported by others in these forums.
Thanks very much wildwillow!

You're welcome. Glad it helped you slimlemon.

Dear All,
I have the exact hardware configurations. I managed to make it boot from the hard disk but I got minor graphic glitches. Any possible solutions?

Cheers
I applied the Inject Intel to config.plist. Now the glitches last for 1 second only just before desktop shows. I can live with it but any solutions will be appreciated.

In your config.plist under GUI, you'll see Screen Resolution. Try setting your native screen resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back