2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
SPECS | Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770K | DUAL GT 640 | 16GB Memory | 250GB SSD
UniBeast 6.0 | Clover r3292 | OS X 10.11 El Capitan

7277_big.jpg

This install guide is for the GA-Z77X-UD5H. I built this CustoMac in Early 2013. I have been through every update since 10.8 as well as major software upgrades 10.9, 10.10 and now 10.11. I participated in the 10.11 Public Beta releases through the GM release. This board has served me very well and I have rarely experienced any issue with it. I am running a triple monitor setup with dual GPUs. At the time of writing this guide there are no guides specific to this board, so I though "Why not?" :geek:

For the installation of 10.11 I used a blank 250GB SSD and did a clean install of OS X 10.11 El Capitan. For the most part I followed the UniBeast 10.11 Install Guide, only differing during post install. For post install I used the latest stand alone version of Clover r3292. Before the installation, I removed one of the GT 640s from my system, this was reinstalled after everything was up and running. The install was very smooth and went off without a hitch. I knew that it would. Any update or fresh install I've ever done has given me no problems. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO FOLLOW IT.

PRE-INSTALL
After downloading El Capitan from the App Store, you are going to create your UniBeast install media. This guide requires the use of a 16GB USB drive, as we will be placing a post install folder on the drive. Alternatively you could use two 8GB drives, as long as, after formatting one of them has the required 7.45GB of free space. For testing purposes I used a 32GB USB 3.0 drive. This is not recommended practice as you may run into issue's using USB 3.0 and was only done as a test.

Download the latest UniBeast and run the application. After a series of continues and an agree, I selected my USB drive as the destination. Next select El Capitan. On Bootoader Configuration I've selected UEFI. Nothing was selected at the Graphics Configuration because this card is natively supported. Next I was presented with the Verify Installation Options screen. Select continue, and enter your password. It's now installation time. UniBeast creates a bootable USB drive, containing the installer and the Clover bootloader. As I was using a USB 3.0 device in a USB 3.0 port, this process was extremely fast; only taking a few minutes. After creation of your UniBeast installer, open it up in Finder and copy the Post Install folder that you downloaded from the Post Install Files section of this guide.

ub2 copy.pngUB4.pngUB3.pngUB2.pngub6.pngUB1.png

BIOS SETTINGS
These are the BIOS setting I am using for this install.. Here are the highlights: BIOS is F14. X.M.P is set to Profile 1. I have set the Boot Mode to UEFI only as I have no Legacy installs in my multi booting setup. SATA is set to AHCI and XHCI is enabled. XHCI and EHCI Hand-off are both Enabled. Wake on LAN is Disabled.

1.1.png2.png3.png4.png4.1.png5.png

INSTALLATION
I inserted the UniBeast installer into a USB 3.0 port coming from the front, F_USB30_3 header. Again this method is not recommended and if you choose to go this route and run into any issues, I would first recommend switching to a USB 2.0 drive placed into a USB 2.0 port. I rebooted the system, continually pressing the hotkey (Delete) to get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, I made the above BIOS changes. Next I chose save and exit > reboot. This time I continually pressed the hotkey (F12) to reach the BIOS boot menu. From the BIOS boot menu I selected UEFI USB HDD. With the boot mode set to UEFI only the selection choices are obviously reduced, thus making the correct selection easier, if you've ever been unsure about what option to select.

Booting from UEFI USB HDD sends me to the tonymacx86 Clover boot menu. At the boot menu, I used the arrow keys until I reached: Boot Mac OS X from USB. No additional boot arguments were used. Once this option has been selected I hit enter and this took me to the installer.

Once in the installer, I erased and formatted the drive I was going to be installing on. For full instructions, see the UniBeast 10.11 Install Guide. Basically you are going to use Disk Utility to format the drive, Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map. I named my partition El Capitan 2. Upon closing Disk Utility, I was asked where I wanted to install and I chose El Capitan 2. The install took about 20 minutes. Upon completion the system auto reboot.

On the reboot you are going to want to once again use the hotkey (F12) to get into the BIOS boot menu. Again I selected UEFI USB HDD. Booting from UEFI USB HDD again takes me to the Clover boot menu. At the boot menu, I chose: Boot Mac OS X from El Capitan 2. Next was the setup process, it is pretty self explanatory. The two things I will note are to not sign in with your AppleID, we do not not want to log any information about this CustoMac with Apple until we have setup iMessage. Also do not Transfer Information to This Mac. You can use Migration Assistant to do this later. Next I was presented with the desktop. Time for post install.

POST INSTALLATION
(See Updates Below)
Post installation is going to consist of 3 parts. Installing the Clover Bootloader, Changes to system definition and boot options using Clover configurator, and configuring onboard audio. From your UniBeast USB, copy the Post Install folder to the desktop. Do not reboot until all post installation tasks have been completed.​

Installing Clover Bootloader

First we are going to install Clover to the system drives EFI partition. Run the Clover_v2.3k_r3292.pkg, by right click > open > open. Select Continue > Continue. Then, Change Install Location and select your system drive. In my case it was El Capitan 2. Select Customize. See the screenshots below for the correct options to choose (Note: Under Action yours will say install, where these say upgrade. Forgot to take screenshots originally). Finally click install. When the install is finished you will be presented with Installation Complete window. Close the program. The Clover installer will leave the EFI partition mounted. This is essential for the other post install tasks. Last thing to do in this section is to replace the EFI folder that Clover Created in the EFI partition, with the one in your Post Install folder, located on your Desktop.
Navigate to: /EFI and replace the ENTIRE EFI folder with the EFI folder from your Post Install folder.

CL1.pngCL6.pngCL2.pngCL3.pngCL4.pngCL5.png

System Changes

Open Clover Configurator - Right click > open > open. Along the bottom of the main window, you will see the path EFI > EFI > CLOVER > config.plist. Select the config.plist icon and you will be presented with the main Clover Configurator UI. Select SMBIOS from the options on the left. I use iMac 13,2 as the system definition. Alternatively you could use Mac Mini 6,x both similarly match for hardware and will work in achieving Native Power Management. Select the wand on the right side of the window and select the icon of the iMac. This brings up a new window with a drop down menu. Access it and select iMac 13,2. There are two "shake" buttons on the right side of the same window. Click each several times to generate a random Serial Number. Click ok to return to the main SMBIOS tab. Next select Boot, from the options on the left. Near the top right you will find an entry for Default Boot Volume. I want Clover to boot to the new installation, so I entered El Capitan 2. I also changed how long the system will remain at the Clover Boot Menu before Auto Booting my selected drive, by changing the Timeout to, 2 seconds. Thats it for Clover Configurator. Command+S to save to the original location and close the application.

CC0.png
CC1.pngCC2.png
CC3.png
CloverALC

Finally, to get audio working. The full guide relating to this subject can be found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html. First thing you want to do is download (Raw) audio_cloverALC-110.command. Right click on the .command file > open > open. This will open up in Terminal. You are going to asked for your password (note: you will not get any visual feedback as you enter your password) Hit enter once you have completed entering your password. Next it will verify that you have SIP partially disabled, followed by a series of questions. Hit enter after you answer each question. The screenshot below shows the correct answers for the hardware specific to this guide. The command will run after the last answer has been entered. Once you are sure that it has completed you can close out terminal.
audio_cloverALC.png
THAT COMPLETES POST INSTALL - TIME TO REBOOT

THINGS TO CHECK

AUDIO FUNTION
Navigate to system preferences and select sound. On the output tab, the section to select an audio device for sound output should be populated with four choices. If the section remains unpopulated, see No Audio Devices - Realtek ALC AppleHDA for more information. The first "Line Out" device in the list, and its corresponding black or "Rear Speaker Out" jack on the motherboard I/O, are the correct selections for enabling audio. However, if these do not provide working audio, check other possible combinations of audio device and I/O jack (green/grey/orange). If all other combinations fail to provide working audio, see No Sound - Realtek ALC AppleHDA for more information.
audio device output.png
NATIVE CPU POWER MANAGEMENT
The complete guide is located here: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management. While I thought about explaining how to setup CPU Power Management in this guide, I ultimately decided it would be best to show that Native PM is possible with this setup, and how to check your current values, so you can decide how pertinent implementing a fix would be. To check your current CPU P-States, place AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and reboot. In Terminal, run
Code:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

Good news for any of you that are running an i7 3770K, or a i7 3770, as I have done the work for you. The SSDT's are located in the Post Install, Files folder, in individual folders titled by CPU. Select the correct SSDT and place in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. As you can see, this build is returning all P-States. Do not be alarmed if the top end P-States are not showing. As RehabMan explained to me "Per Intel spec, some of the top turbo states require only a single core to be active." The two Intel Power Gadget screenshots I have included, show the system at rest (left) and under load for a short period of time (right). I used handbrake to introduce the load.

AICPUPMI.png
Intel PG - CPUPM.pngIntel PG - Handbrake.png

USB STATUS

All USB 3.0 ports are working at 3.0 speeds. There are two USB 2.0 ports that are not working. One on the front of the case coming from the F_USB2 Header, and one off of the rear motherboard I/O. Im told this is because the system is over the 15 port limit. Screenshots show Sandisk Extreme plugged into the same USB 3.0 port that was used on the other El Capitan install, to create the UniBeast install media and to boot the system.
SysInfoUSB3.pngBLKMGKUSB3.png

POST INSTALL FILES
Download the View attachment Post Install.zip which contains all of the required files and apps necessary for post install. Inside the .zip file, you will find one folder named Post Install. This folder should be copied to your UniBeast USB drive. I have also included the kext and app necessary to evaluate current CPU PM, as well as the HWMonitor app, as the required kexts are already in place for it. Your UniBeast USB file structure should look like the following.

UniBeast File Structure.png

Hope This Helps!

UPDATES

Updated to OS X 10.11.1
October 25, 2015 - Successful update via MAS. Update did not affect USB 2.0/3.0. Audio remained after update
update1.png

MultiBeast 8
Now that MultiBeast 8 has been released, I thought that I would provide the View attachment Z77X-UD5H.mb file to facilitate those that want to do post install with MultiBeast. This will allow you to essentially skip all of the Post Install steps above. MultiBeast can install Clover, set the default boot drive and timeout to 3 seconds, as well as configure the onboard ALC898 audio.

MB.png

Updated to OS X 10.11.2
December 9, 2015 - Successful update via MAS. Update did not affect USB 2.0/3.0. Audio remained after update
Update2.png

First of all thank you very much for the detailed guide! :D

Few weeks ago I did a clover install myself, following Tony's update guide. That worked pretty good, the only thing was bothering me was USB speed much slower than it used to be. SMBIOS was set to Mac Pro 3.1 (I had that with yosemite install and figured should stick with it).

Long story short, I tried your guide today, everything went smooth and fast. No issues during install or after, USB and sound working great! (Btw, I have same motherboard and cpu as you + a GTX680 graphics card.)

After I installed couple of apps I decided to run Geekbench, to see if there's any difference, and here I did notice something. I got a multicore-score of 13426 (64bit) while my last install got me 16769 (64 bit).

What could be the reason for this drop (iMac 13.2 instead of Mac Pro 3.1 perhaps?) Also what score did you get (if you benchmarked your install)?

Thanks!

A 3k drop in GeekBench is quite a lot, but it is possible that it is related to the switch from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 13,2.

Did you put the SSDT in place? Have you checked to see that all P-States are showing up? On my 3770 (non K), without proper PM, it was stuck at 3.4GHz and would not go above that. Could possibly explain the drop.

I have not run the benchmark on this machine since I originally set it up, and I do not remember what the value was. I will do that in the coming days, and let you know.

I think you are right here, I just added the SSDT as described in the guide (I have 3770K cpu), rebooted, and run terminal command to see P-States, got the following results:

screenshot_.png
After it I ran geekbench again and got 3388 as multi-core score -.- , it took quite longer to complete, ~5min. Should I try the non-K file just to see what happens?

Thanks!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention I overclocked CPU's Turbo boost in BIOS (that was also the case with last install, all other settings are same as in guide).

That SSDT is not for OC, looks like you have it set at 4.2GHz. You need to follow additional steps from the guide I linked for OC'd PM.. First thing is to take the overclock out and make sure that PM is working then follow toleda's guide for generating your own SSDT

Didn't know about that, I guess need to read some more haha. Thanks for the help and quick reply!

Hi,

Really nice guide, i got the same motherboard but a different CPU (I5 3570k).

I was wondering if you managed to get the front USB to work somehow?

Cheers.

Hi,

Really nice guide, i got the same motherboard but a different CPU (I5 3570k).

I was wondering if you managed to get the front USB to work somehow?

Cheers.

Short answer is no. I have two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 working on the front of the case. Like I said in the guide, I have two USB 2.0 ports that are not functioning. One on the front of the case and one at the the rear I/O.

@tallgeese04 you meed ssdt for OC and yes iMac does not see OC without is using only 3.9 Mac pro use 4.3 for egz without ssdt.
It took me a while to figure this out and its is on and other preview OSX.
Power management and stable work is worth to use iMac with correct ssdt however preview in Premier pro works very bad (simple filter on) with iMac compere to Mac Pro using the same web and cuda drivers.

@n3oNLit3 thank you for nice guide!

Can be ssdt from preview OSX be use on next on (same machine) or does this relate to smbios and serial no. somehow?

@tallgeese04 you meed ssdt for OC and yes iMac does not see OC without is using only 3.9 Mac pro use 4.3 for egz without ssdt.
It took me a while to figure this out and its is on and other preview OSX.
Power management and stable work is worth to use iMac with correct ssdt however preview in Premier pro works very bad (simple filter on) with iMac compere to Mac Pro using the same web and cuda drivers.

@n3oNLit3 thank you for nice guide!

Can be ssdt from preview OSX be use on next on (same machine) or does this relate to smbios and serial no. somehow?

The SSDT is processor specific. It has no relation to SMBIOS or serial number. You just need to be using the same processor (3770K or 3770) that it was created for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back