Contribute
Register

[Guide] CustoMac 2013 | Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770K | GT 640 x2 | OS X 10.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to understand all this and it's quite a bit to deal with. I think part of my problem may be (or will be) is that I let clover assign the default machine ID (is that what it's called?) of 14,2 to my system.

At this point everything is 100% working without a doubt, everything. Every feature, option, device, whatever, it all works.
iMessage, FaceTime (I just bought a refurbished Logitech C920 that was Plug-n-Play), handoff, Siri, sound, ethernet, USB 3, every freaking thing. I can't find any option or feature that doesn't work.

BUT, my i7-3770k does not throttle up at all under load. I have seen it slow down to like 3ghz when doing nothing at all but it will only speed up to 3.5ghz under full load. I used to run this exact same hardware under Yosemite at 4.5ghz. I think it was running as an iMac 3,1 at that time. But now that model is no longer supported. Ok, fine.

After doing some reading on Wikipedia it seems that Apple only ever put the i7-3770 (they never put out a 3770k) in either the 13,1 (i7-3770s 3.1ghz) or 13,2 (i7-3770 3.4ghz). I can't see that they ever sold a machine of any type that runs over 3.5ghz. WTF Apple??!!

So here's my problem, with my machine now thinking it's a 14,2 which would only have an Haswell CPU which is improper for Ivy Bridge i7-3770(k) I BELIEVE that I need to change my machine ID to say it's a 13,2 because that's as close to my i7-3770k as I can find.

But how do I change this machine ID? And if I do change it, will it break all my working stuff? iMessage and FaceTime and everything else? Clover Configurator scares me. Multibeast, not so much. Can I simply redefine the system from a 14,2 to a 13,2 in Multibeast, apply it then reboot and everything will still work? I realize that alone won't fix the overclocking throttle problem but is a necessary step towards fixing it. I'm just scared of totally screwing up my perfectly working system and not being able to fix it or reboot.

Thanks!

I believe that redefining system will probably mess stuff up, at least that's my experience when I tried something with Mac Pro x instead, perhaps going from 14.2 > 13.2 is different.

However, I think what you need is to create a custom SSDT for your CPU. I had the similar experience, issue with overclocking, CPU wouldn't drop when idle, check the first post in this thread about Native Power Management.

Anyway, it's been a while but that's how I fixed my issue:
- Read first post than read: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mavericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.128926/
Check your P-states and install Intel's Power Gadget so that you can confirm the fix later.

- Get: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
I used the following command (I had my CPU overclocked @ 4.2GHz): -turbo 4200 -w 3

Hello
There is no support for the z77x ud4h motherboard in the link you have put.
Is there another site where I have support for this motherboard?
Thank you

There is support for the ud4h version of the board...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 9.06.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 9.06.14 AM.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 214
I'm trying wipe my OS HD and reinstall El Cap. I'm following the instructions but I'm getting the grey screen when booting from the Unibeast USB. Everything went fine the first time I ran through this guide. If I already have Clover from the first time I ran through this - can I still follow this guide? Also - can anyone tell me how to boot verbose with this? I'm just using DVI on the motherboard - no other video card.

Also - in my Bios I'm seeing a bunch of duplicate Clover entries for boot options... not sure what's going on there...

I think what I'd like to do is just a total clean install. -> How would I go about that?

Last edited:
Hi there, I know that many of you just updated to sierra. But I'll stick with 10.11.6 for now. However, I'm experiencing a problem: Boots normal but when I want to log in and I put in my password, it takes a long time until the Desktop loads. While waiting the spinning beach ball appears. After approx. 15 sec. it loads the Desktop but this spinning beach ball is still there and the files which I have on the desktop aren't there. Even a right click does nothing. After additional 10 sec. everything appears and runs normal.

To solve the Problem I even did a clean install following the guide on page 1 and used the premade settings for the mobo. But the problem remains, even after a clean install. The fun thing is, that I didn't have this problem before recently. Does anybode have or had this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Anyone know of a guide for upgrading this setup to Sierra? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back