Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Corsair Bulldog v1 (Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi + i5-7600K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hp m6-1045dx
CPU
Ivy Brige i5
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello! This is my first GUIDE post at tonymacx86, I usually post guides in InsanelyMac, but I have been relying on tonymacx86 so much for my latest hackintosh, so I'm posting here.

Corsair Bulldog (v1):
- Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi ITX Motherboard (I happened to get v2 of the motherboard, which doesn't have a non-k oc option)
- Intel 8260NGW AC WiFi/Bluetooth 4 M.2 card -> Replaced with BCM94352Z

What I added:
- Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
- Intel Core i5-7600K (5.0GHz @ 1.26v)
- Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD (no special stuff required! Kext is included in macOS!)

Starting Point:
I followed ammulder's guide here to get El Capitan installed and somewhat set up. He's done a lot of the work for us, including patching Intel HD 530 graphics, but this is done in the config.plist, which lives on the Unibeast USB installer. You can copy it to the EFI partition of the Hackintosh internal drive. If you are using an NVIDIA GPU and a CPU other than the i3-6100, you are probably better-off not using anything from ammulder so ignore this...

What Works:
- Intel HD 530 (one display only)
- Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB + HDMI and DP audio out (somewhat - no vol control)
- Ethernet (both ports- use the kexts provided by Multibeast)
- WiFi and Bluetooth with the BCM94352Z
- Intel SpeedStep (with ammulder's i3-6100 DSDT patch). I have verified with the HWMonitor app and required kexts (see downloads section of this post..once it's made) that the CPU frequency varies/does not stay at 3.7GHz, so this seems to be working. I have since upgraded to an i5-7600K, which appears to also have SpeedStep support with the iMac 18,2 system definition from Multibeast.
- FileVault (use UsbKbDxe-64 *not* AsAmiShim.efi, via Clover Installer -> Customize)

What Doesn't Work:
- HD 530 graphics with multiple displays (I will not bother with this)
- Audio through 3.5mm jacks (back and front panels)
- Sleep/wake has some issues. The computer seems to turn on by itself sometimes, and that may or may not be because of macOS, could be something else going on... And then resuming from sleep I end up with graphics glitching on the desktop and usually it's bad enough to require a reboot. This is with the NVIDIA GPU.
- No volume control on HDMI/DP audio from the Nvidia GPU.

Other Stuff:
Internal Antenna Array (IAA): The Mac mini and Mac Pro hide their antennas inside, so if we're truly Hackintoshing, we should do the same! The Bulldog chassis has a few nice locations where we can stash either a Bluetooth or WiFi antenna - or both. The outer plastic shells on the front and sides of the bulldog come off- hiding antennas in between the plastic and the interior steel case would be perfect! I'm got these from GYNA. They come with 3M adhesive and are more than long enough (2 feet) to reach the right side of the Bulldog. Reception is about on-par with my MacBook Pro, and improved a bit when I moved the antennas from the metal to the inner side of the plastic outer shell.

High Sierra with Intel HD Graphics:
Here's what I had to do to get the High Sierra installer partition to boot:
- Remove any graphics cards (this causes issues that are painfully resolved here) OR disable Intel integrated graphics in BIOS
- Add Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/other and /10.13 if you are using Intel integrated graphics (if not, you don't need to add anything yet! Just use Nvidia Web Drivers in Clover boot args)
- If you get the Unable to Initialize Graphics error, even though those two kexts ^ are in place, you'll have to change the Intel HD 5xx graphics PCID to something invalid (like 0x12345678). This worked for me! You can make it permanent in Clover Configurator.

These steps resolve the issue of the black screen with a small, white box in the upper-left corner of the screen when booting the Sierra or High Sierra unibeast installers or native macOS App Store installer ran on El Cap.

High Sierra with Nvidia Graphics:
  1. Clover Bootloader & Co.
    1. Launch MultiBeast
    2. Select IntelMausiEthernet and AppleIGB for the two ethernet ports
      1. NOTE: there is instability with one of the ethernet kexts, I believe it’s the i219 one. I have also experienced kernel panics and Internet issues via one of the ethernet ports (i.e. unplugging ethernet cable once resulted in kernel panic/reboot). The issues are intermittent enough that I usually just install the kexts for both and plug in ethernet to the first one I find when I go to plug in the cable, and then once I’m on WiFi I unplug ethernet.
    3. Select Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM
      1. Emulated NVRAM is required for the Gigabyte Z170-WIFI board, but some motherboards come with an NVRAM chip, in which case you don’t need the Emulated NVRAM option. As far as I know, there are no tangible benefits to having a motherboard with dedicated NVRAM, as Emulated NVRAM has provided for 100% of the functionality.
    4. Select iMac 18,2 System Definition if you have a Kaby Lake i5, 18,3 if you have a Kaby Lake i7, or an iMac 17,1 for a different Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU. The 18,2 and 18,3 definitions should give us CPU clock control (C States/SpeedStep) without having to generate a DDST.
    5. Install it!
    6. Once Clover is installed to the macOS partition, open Clover Configurator, open the config.plist for the macOS boot drive, and start making changes:
      1. In Boot, only nvda_drv=1 needs to be checked. You can also check Verbose, etc. if you like. Booting in Verbose every time can be helpful, and certainly doesn’t hurt.
      2. In Graphics, nothing should be checked (if you are on Intel HD graphics, you would probably want Inject Intel selected, but I’m not concerning myself with Intel graphics here).
      3. In SMBIOS, generate a new Serial Number, paste in a SmUUID via “uuidgen” command in Terminal, and if you like, add your RAM configuration starting with Slot 0. Providing a SlotCount value as well will make the About This Mac window accurate. Copy the Serial Number value, which should be 13 characters.
      4. In Rt Variables, generate a ROM, and in MLB, base the Serial Number and add 5 random numbers and letters of your choosing (for a total of 17 characters). Change CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 (for NVIDIA graphics).
      5. In System Parameters, paste in that Custom UUID you generated earlier. Also check NvidiaWeb checkbox (again, only if you are using NVIDIA graphics).
      6. Assuming you have Internet of some sort, Install/Update Clover and get the latest version.
        1. You’ll want to Customize the installation via the Customize button on the left side on the screen just before you actually install (update) Clover. Ensure the following are checked:
          1. Install for UEFI booting only
          2. Install Clover in the ESP
          3. EmuVariableUefi-64
          4. OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
          5. UsbKbDxe-64 (for FileVault)
          6. UsbMouseDxe-64 (for FileVault)
          7. Install RC scripts on target volume
          8. If anything else is checked by default, you can probably leave them checked.
      7. Now we are clear to install NVIDIA drivers. You can reboot at this point, however in Clover you should select the option to boot without NvidiaWebDrivers. If you fail to do so, boot will fail, it will reboot automatically, and actually it should boot normally after that as it automatically disabled NvidiaWebDrivers to an extent.
  2. NVIDIA GPU
    1. I’ve relied mostly on that tonymacx86 guide someone made about the NVIDIA black screen solutions, but historically I have not had success following it to a tee.
    2. I like to create aliases (shortcuts) on the desktop for System/Library/Extensions and Library/Extensions, and I name them SLE and LE. It’s convenient.
    3. Go into SLE and LE and remove any NVDAStartup.kext you find (as of this writing there is only one in SLE, none in LE).
    4. Copy Lilu.kext and NVidiaFixup.kext to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder on the Clover EFI partition. Some have said to put these two kexts in LE, but I have not had success with that.
    5. Find and download the NVIDIA macOS drivers by Googling “NVIDIA + {your version of macOS 10.13, i.e. “17C88”} and selecting the very first (non-ad) link.
      1. You can find the specific version of 10.13 via About This Mac > System Report > Software > System Version (first item on right side)
    6. Run the NVIDIA driver package installer and reboot.
    7. Sometimes macOS fails to boot and I’m honestly not sure why, but if it fails to boot, it will automatically reboot the computer, and then the second time it tries, it should work…
  3. WiFi/Bluetooth
    1. Copy the kexts from the Put in SLE folder onto the desktop.
    2. Run KextBeast and tell it to install kexts to SLE folder.
    3. Reboot for WiFi and Bluetooth. The FakePCIID.kext I believe also enables HDMI+DP Audio on the NVIDIA GPUs (along with the DDST patch and HDMIAudio.kext in EFI Clover partition).
  4. Intel CPU C States
    1. This should have been done with the System Definition (i.e. iMac 18,2), but if you weren’t able to find one for your specific CPU, you might try searching for other hackintosh guides that have your hardware. When I had an i3-6100, I was able to obtain an SSDT for it via ammoulder’s guide. Worst-case, you will have to compile one on your own, and I have never done that…
  5. HDMI Audio
    1. As mentioned, simply copy HDMIAudio.kext to the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/ folder and SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/ and reboot! Your monitor(s) should show up in System Preferences > Sound.

All of this can be done on the first boot of macOS, and enabled/applied with 1 reboot. Don’t forget to change the first boot option to be the macOS boot drive and remove the USB installer! For me, there are two boot options in BIOS/EFI for my macOS boot drive, use the one that starts with “UEFI OS” (the other will not boot).

DOWNLOADS:

Bulldog Hackintosh Files (everything you need except Unibeast!)

Last edited:
(Also if a mod could change the title to reflect my CPU upgrade to i5-7600K, that would be much appreciated)
It is your thread, you can do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back