Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Specs:
Asus N550JK-DS71T
CPU: i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz – 3.4GHz
GPU: Intel HD 4600, NVidia GTX 850M 2GB
Screen: 15.6 Inch Full-HD IPS Touchscreen (Max 1920x1080)
Cam: 720P HD
RAM: 8GB – DDR3 1600
Wi-Fi: Intel Dual Band AC 7260
Wired Ethernet: Realtek RTL8168/8111
Optical: DVD±RW/CD-RW
Ports: HDMI, Mini DP, 3xUSB 3.0, sub-woofer, combo headphone/microphone
Card reader: Realtek RTS5139
HDD: 1TB Mechanical 5400 RPM (Slow)

---------------
My BIOS Setting – press F2 to enter BIOS setup
Advanced tab:
VT-d - Disabled
USB – Legacy USB Support - Enabled
XHCI Pre-Boot Mode – Disabled

Boot tab:
Fast Boot – Disabled
Launch CSM – Disabled

Security tab:
Secure Boot Menu
Secure Boot Control – Disabled

Save and exit BIOS
-----------------------

Creating the USB boot and installer

Use – http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

Everything you need to create the USB stick and install Yosemite is included in this guide.

I partitioned my USB with 1 GPT partition and used the Create Install Media method to copy the OS X install files to USB.

After formatting the USB, install clover

Copy the following kexts to EFI/Clover/kexts/other

ApplePS2SmartTouchPad -- Google search - available at OSXLatitude - I'm using SmartTouchPad_v4.3_Final
GenericUSBXHCI - I didn't need this, but it does not crash the system if installed.
RealtekRTL8111
All of the FakeSMC kexts (5 total) – My system got stuck at the spinning cursor in the upper left corner without them.

Config.plist - Use ConfigHD4600_4200.plist as a starting point – need to be modified. Must be renamed to config.plist and copied to the USB EFI/Clover directory to replace the default plist that is installed with clover.

I had to modify the following section in config.plist – otherwise I got garbled (distorted) screen that is unreadable.

Section: Devices: – IntelGFX – change string 0x04128086 to 0x0. This will need to be change back to 0x04128086 after you install Clover to your HDD, or if you will use the USB stick to boot OS X. This is part of the process that will enable QE/CI.
If you are planning on installing OS X on the same drive as Windows, good luck. There is a link in the guide listed above regarding Windows and OS X on the same drive. I was unable to format the second partition on my drive, so I decided to install OS X on an external 7200-RPM USB drive, which actually boot faster than the internal 5400-RPM drive. I will install a second internal drive after I have everything working. The benefit of using external for me is – I am able to attach the drive to my desktop to modify things in the event it does not boot on my laptop, which happened several times during trial and error.

Now that you have the USB installer - boot your laptop and press/hold the ESC key to bring up the boot menu. Select your USB stick as the boot device (should say UEFI: USB xxxxx Flash Drive). If the USB is not listed in the menu, - use CTRL/ALT/DEL to reboot, press ESC for the boot menu. Loading the installer from USB is a slow process, so give it at least 2-3 minutes. For me, once the progress bar is just below the apple, I got an arrow cursor in the upper left corner, the progress bar finished quickly and the installer screen loaded. If you have a spinning cursor in the upper left corner and it has been more than 4-5 minutes, something is wrong. Recheck everything with the guide and try again.

The install on my system – Stage 1 took between 8-12 minutes and stage 2 took between 15-20 minutes.

If you are successful in getting OS X installed, boot from your USB installer stick and select the HDD to boot OS X. Install clover to the HDD EFI partition. Copy your config.plist, the kexts and the HFSPlus.efi driver from the USB stick to their correct location on the HDD EFI partition.

Modify the Devices: section of the config.plist that you copied to the HDD EFI partition and change the IntelGFX string back to 0x04128086. Do not modify the one on the USB stick, since you have a working installer. At this point you will not have QE/CI yet , therefore the screen will be slow and jerky.

I used the Yosemite 10.10.0 for my installer. Before I proceeded further, I updated the system to 10.10.3.

See the following guide pertaining to the HD4600

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

I had to modify my config.plist as follows to get QE/CI to work. In Section - KernelAndKextPatches, KextsToPatch (16 Items)

Refer to the above guide – just below the heading Intel HD4000 Mobile [8086:0a16] using FakePCIID.

There are two links to posts regarding garbled screen issues. Use the link for #post926735 and refer to post #189.

The following item is already listed in the config.plist that you downloaded. Deleted disabled: to enable this option.

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x0a260006 9MB cursor bytes patch</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>disabled:AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAA=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAkAA=</data
</dict>

This fixed the distortion in the menu bar.

To remove the boot screen glitch, I had to enable CSM in BIOS and install CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI. This can be installed using Clover Configurator, under Install Drivers. Mount EFI partition, load your config.plist, select install drivers from bottom left. On the install driver screen, select EFI in the target partition box (upper right), select CsmVideoDx from the Drivers UEFI 64 Bit section.

As of this update 5/21/2015 - I have all of my kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 - all is working good so far.
FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext

I am not using the GenericUSBXHCI.kext as of now, but if needed, I can install it later.

I installed voodooHDA v287 and have sound working. You could install this before you reboot.
Eject your USB stick, reboot your system, press the ESC key for the boot menu and select your HDD, it will start with UEFI:

Working:
Touchscreen – not very useful at 1920x1080 – most things are too small
Touchpad
Sound – speakers and headphone only
Wired Ethernet
Display with QE/CI – resolutions available 1920x1080, 1600x900, 1344x756
Sleep, Shutdown and Restart
USB 2.0 - not sure about 3.0 – not tested
Webcam – limited testing done.
Keyboard fn+function keys: f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, f10, f11, f12
HDMI Video
Brightness slider
Brightness keys
Battery Status
Keyboard backlighting
Wifi/Bluetooth - using BCM4352 dual band + BT 4.0
Native Power Management

Not Working:
Sub-Woofer port – using voodooHDA – I have found posts regarding ALC668, but could not get it working on my system. I will research this further as I would rather use AppleHDA if I could.
NVidia GTX 850M – Disabled
HDMI Audio
Card reader: Realtek RTS5139

Not Tested:
DP port
USB 3.0

I hope other owners of this system are successful and help with items that are not working. I know that it will never be 100%, but as of now my system is useable for me. Good luck, and if you have problems drop me a post. I will check the site often to see if anyone needs help.

autumnrain, slice2009 for their work on voodooHDA
EMlyDinEsH - for providing touchpad kext and asus fn hotkey kext.
Although many people had input to the the info contained, there are too many to list here. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
Copy the following kexts to EFI/Clover/kexts/other
All of the FakeSMC plugins (5 total) – My system got stuck at the spinning cursor in the upper left corner without them.

FakeSMC.kext is not a "plugin". There are 4 plugins, which are optional and the main FakeSMC.kext, which is compulsory.

The following item is already listed in the config.plist that you downloaded, but post #189 list the name string as AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. I deleted disabled: from my plist and copied the numbers in the find key string and replace key string and pasted them into my plist.

Just remove the 'disabled:' from the name and you'll be good to go. Always use a plist editor to edit the plist file, never a text editor.

I think I'll make the "9mb cursor" patch default... (Note: DONE).

I do have distorted screen issues during the boot process just before the desktop loads. I am researching this and hope to find a fix.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/145308-fix-resolve-boot-screen-garble.html

This patch is also present in the config.plist and just needs to be enabled.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext – I had some strange issues with the touch pad – the cursor moving very erratic, but after I remove the kexts from the EFI/Clover/kexts and restarted – it stopped.

Just rebuild cache. Then reboot. Kexts should not be injected once you install FakeSMC.kext to /S/L/E because of config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect. And you need the kexts in Clover/kexts for booting the recovery partition.

Not working...

Screen brightness

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html

VoodooPS2Controller - I have repaired permission and rebuilt cache, restarted. The erratic movement doesn't happen most of the time. Sometimes while using my mouse, if I accidentally touch the pad - the cursor goes wild, other times it does not. When this happens, most of my mouse functions stop working. Logout/Login reset it to normal. I am going to do a fresh install and if I still have the problem I will make a short video and attach it to the post in zip format.

As for the boot screen glitch - I did see your post regarding removing disable: from kext to patch. I am using the patch for 10.10.2/10.10.3 and deleted the other. I am attaching a small video of the glitch. I think this may be normal. I'm not too concerned about this, but will go to the list of things to fix.

My next project is to work on the - screen brightness, and battery status (currently battery charge 0%), but is fully charged. I see there is a guide for native power management.

Yes, probably a good idea to make the 9mb patch default

Overall I am impressed with how well OS X is running on this system (especially from an external drive).

I booted Linux to pull the codec info for my sound card. I do have sound, but I am planning on getting it to work with AppleHDA. This will be at the bottom of my list.

Also I do see my Wi-Fi card in DPCI manager under PCI list. I will boot Linux again to pull all the info I can for it.

These hackingtosh project really take away your time, but it bugs me to leave anything unfinished.

Attachments

• bootscreen_glitch-osx10-10-3.mp4.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 323
VoodooPS2Controller - I have repaired permission and rebuilt cache, restarted. The erratic movement doesn't happen most of the time. Sometimes while using my mouse, if I accidentally touch the pad - the cursor goes wild, other times it does not. When this happens, most of my mouse functions stop working. Logout/Login reset it to normal. I am going to do a fresh install and if I still have the problem I will make a short video and attach it to the post in zip format.

Perhaps you don't have a Synaptics trackpad. Most Asus laptops have ELANtech.

As for the boot screen glitch - I did see your post regarding removing disable: from kext to patch. I am using the patch for 10.10.2/10.10.3 and deleted the other. I am attaching a small video of the glitch. I think this may be normal. I'm not too concerned about this, but will go to the list of things to fix.

The fix does not eliminate the glitch entirely. You may see some improvement by enabling CSM (legacy boot) in BIOS, even though you're using UEFI.

My next project is to work on the - screen brightness, and battery status (currently battery charge 0%), but is fully charged. I see there is a guide for native power management.

Native power management and battery status are separate issues...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/146870-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html

Yes, probably a good idea to make the 9mb patch default

I don't really like to do patches "automatically" or "by default" because I'd rather people discover the problems/solutions on their own and be aware of what they are doing, but this one is so common, that I'm tired of answering it (no one reads the stickies).

Overall I am impressed with how well OS X is running on this system (especially from an external drive).

USB3 external HDD isn't bad... Nothing compared to internal SSD though.

Also I do see my Wi-Fi card in DPCI manager under PCI list. I will boot Linux again to pull all the info I can for it.

You need a compatible WiFi card...

Compatible chipsets and the procedures for making them work are covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

rehabman - you are right, the touchpad is ELAN, and so is the touchscreen. The hardware tools I used under Win only list the item as Asus Touchpad. I installed the ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext and it's working great. Also have config options under trackpad in sys prefs.

FIXED - Boot Screen Glitch
Install CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI using Clover Configurator and turned on Launch CSM in my BIOS. CSM is needed anyway when booting Linux from USB.

Last edited:
Is there anyway i can get in contact with you? Like skype or something? Otherwise i will have to post a lot of stuff here, and it would be easier to talk through any other talk system :silent:

In any case, how is the performance without the nvidia graphic? Can you post some screenshots so i can see how it looks? :)

Note: Moved to laptop guides forum.

UPDATE --

Installed a 250Gb SSD drive - it is very fast and eliminates a lot of heat. Boot time from clover theme to desktop is about 10 seconds.

Battery Status Partially working
Percentage still show 0%
Time remaining on battery or time remaining to fully charge (working)
Power Source: Battery or Charging (working)
Battery Status in Menu Bar (working) (this happens after I installed Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager.kext

To apply this partial fix, using Clover and adding a simple line to /S/L/E/ AppleLPC.kext

In your clover config.plist - under heading Acpi - check FakeLPC
Make a backup of AppleLPC.kext and modify as follows
Right on AppleLPC.kext and select "Show package contents"
Double click to open the contents directory - edit info.plist (I am using XCode)
Add a new string under IOKitPersonalities/AppleLPC/IONameMatch to read pci8086,8c49
Rebuild cache, reboot
The pci-id can be obtained from DPCIManager, PCI List - HM86 Express LPC Controller

The issue I have - after connecting the power supply, the calculating time remaining... and Power Source: takes a long time to reflect the change.

Also: Working since my last post
HDMI Video works (no patch needed) - HDMI Audio does not
USB 3.0 works - (no patch needed) - In BIOS - under Advanced/USB Configuration, set XHCI Pre-Boot Mode to - Smart Auto

I am in the process of learning to patch my DSDT/SSDT. This is my first time patching and there is a lot of info to read before I take on this task. I want to do it correctly before posting my results.

UPDATE-- I was able to get this to work until I reconnected my power supply. This fix does not work. Somewhere during my tinkering I have broken sleep.

SLEEP UPDATE
Enabling XHCI in BIOS - show USB ports in System Report as USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus and USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus, however XHCI only allow the display to enter sleep mode. With XHCI disabled, USB ports in sys report are listed as USB High Speed Bus, but computer sleep option works. I am looking into the USB and XHCI options in clover/devices or I may just disable this until higher priority issues are resolved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back