Contribute
Register

[Guide] Clover EFI Guide for G580 (20157)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can, all you need is your current running system.
And not without help ;)
I'm always glad to help. (I just like manners)

This is way off topic, and I should instead probably write a complete Post on understanding the Hackintosh basics.
Explaining what a DSDT is and so on.

I'll try to make it short.
You can understand the DSDT and SSDTs as kind of Computerprograms, not like your Browser or Games or stuff like that, but really really low level. They are telling OS X how to talk in 1s and 0s to your screen or usb ports for example.
They kind of translate "dim the screen to setting 3" into what the actual hardware understands, the "bits and bytes"
And they are all unique! Every PC has it's own version of translation, because it uses slightly different components.
They can even differ from one another on the same PC after you update the BIOS (aka today the UEFI).
The DSDT in this case is the main Translator, which has the most important translations in it.
The SSDTs are add-ons.
To visualize it, when someone talks basic english they may be able to translate an english sentence into their own language.
But if they have to translate slang (something you might find on urbandictionary) which they don't know, they need someone who explains this special version of english to them. This someone is the SSDT.
Although your Laptop may have the same CPU, the main translator (DSDT) is very different to the one I have and the SSDTs are as well.
I hope this kind of helped you understand a little why you need to create your own versions of DSDT and SSDT.

Back to "Topic".
You need to boot El Capitan, and follow the instructions here, and be careful to follow every step: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
This way you can create the SSDT for your CPU.

After you have done this read the whole article about DSDT and SSDT patching: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
Read it carefully, completely, read it twice, try to understand what you have to do, read it once more and then follow the steps.
Try to really understand which of the steps are important for your system (for example, you don't have a skylake laptop so if the guide states anything that is skylake specific you skip that.)

Trust me when I tell you it takes a lot of time to really understand it (especially if you are not a native english speaker, like me back when I started with Hackintosh).
The first time I installed my PC with Mac it took me a whole week to get it barely running and another week to improve it.
So take your time, do your own research wherever you can, ask specific questions (nothing along the lines of "my system doesn't work, help"), currently I think you did well.
You didn't know why to create your own DSDT or SSDT so you asked specifically why you need to create them.
If you keep on this way you will succeed with what you want to achieve, which currently is installing OS X.

Try to do everything I told you to and then you can report back to me and ask me more questions.
You are trying, that's the most important part.
Just, be nice, be kind, be smart.
Trust me, it will help you, not only here ;)

Greetings
theandy

hello all ! has anyone managed to use both hdmi and vga to output to 2 monitors?

hello all ! has anyone managed to use both hdmi and vga to output to 2 monitors?
Based on your Profile I assume you also have a G580, but mine has no HDMI Port.
If you would have done a little more research you would know that VGA will never work with OS X.
Also getting HDMI to work on a Laptop is sometimes difficult and I can't help you since mine, as mentioned, has no HDMI Port.

Thanks for the reply @theandy94

I did only research a little you are right. mine is g580
  • Intel Core i7-3632QM
  • 12 GB ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M, + Intel HD Graphics 4000
I deactivated the the nvidia cause it wouldnt boot.

the hdmi worked straight after install.

I have not done anything else besides some clover boot loader settings. since i dont have much time to fidle with it.
I needed the macOS for a sepcific program....

meaning not dsdt extract etc...

Thank you for this guide! I am buying a G580 and planning to use this to try installing MacOS on it on a separate hard drive. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

Will this guide work to install Sierra instead of El Capitan?
Edit: Looking through the guide, I withdraw the above question. It will be enough of a challenge for me to get El Capitan installed - Sierra can wait for another day.

Last edited:
There are some slight changes to install sierra.
I updated my G580 to Sierra shortly after it came out.
I really recommend to use El Capitan, Sierra has hell a lot of bugs, for instance I am still not able to sleep my G580 (which for me is very important, therefore I'm using Linux most of the time right now)... And also booting takes much longer than it did with El Cap.
But you sure can try.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm okay with El Capitan and it sounds like it will have a lot fewer problems, so I will go with that. It's a different model than yours (26897BJ) so I'll have enough to worry about already.

This Thread is basically just a Repost of my Original G580 - 20157 Clover Guide but updated for El Capitan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/129423-guide-clover-efi-guide-g580-20157-a.html

DSDT and SSDT generated and patched with MaciASL (If you have another version of the G580 don’t use my DSDT or SSDT, but you can find the used Patches in my .zip at the bottom of this Post)

OS X 10.11
Intel Core i5 3230M
Intel HD4000 Graphics
4GB RAM

Realtek ALC269VC
Synaptics Touchpad

What’s working:
Audio via Speakers, Headphones and Mic (Using Clover on-the-fly patching and CodecCommander for sound after sleep)
Battery Percentage (Using ACPIBatteryManager)
Cardreader (Works OOB)
Synaptics Touchpad (Using RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller, three finger gestures working after changing the Shortcuts for MissionControl in Systemsettings)
Webcam (Works OOB)
Fn-Keys for Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track and Volume work (cmd and option key were interchanged, but you can fix this in System Preferences>Keyboard>Special Keys)

Brightness (after applying RehabMan's Brightness Fix and using IntelBacklight.kext (Fn+Pos1 and Fn+Insert))
All USB Ports (2x USB3.0 OOB, 1x USB2.0 OOB)
Atheros LAN (Using ALXEthernet.kext)
Wifi (Applied a whitelist patch to the BIOS and changed the Card to a BCM94322HM8L. Patch from:
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-Wifi-WWAN-Whitelist-Removal)
Intel HD4000 (Needs ig-platform-id to work, full QE/CI, gets detected by „About this Mac“ with 1536 MB)
Sleep with patched DSDT (Manually or by closing the Lid)
Speedstep with generated SSDT (Generated with MaciASL, P-States reached: 12, 22, 26, 28, 30, 32)

Thanks to Forum-Member „themaskofwraith“ and his Lenovo G580 20150 thread, which was a big help installing my G580 and setting it up the first time.

What’s not working:

Everything works :D :headbang:

STEP 1 - Clover Installer-Stick:
One big advantage of Clover is, that we can create an Installer-Stick which won’t need any bootflags, to boot the Installer and the Installation.
I recommend to put the Clover.pkg you downloaded from Sourceforge on the Installer USB-Stick, because Wifi might (probably will) not work.
At the bottom of my Post you can find my .zip with all the files you need.

Just create an Install Mac OS X Stick with help of tonymacx86’s Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...ublic-beta-installation-usb-using-clover.html
Stop at the part where you copy his config.plist and Kexts.
Put all Kexts from G580-20157/Clover Files/kexts/10.11/ in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ Directory, you don’t want any other Kexts in there, and replace the config.plist in EFI/CLOVER/ with the one from G580-20157/Clover Files/. (Additionally you can add my own Clover-Theme in the themes folder, just copy
simpledark from G580-20157/Clover Files/themes/ to EFI/CLOVER/themes/).
Go to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and paste the DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml from G580-20157/Clover Files/ACPI/patched/

(Only use my DSDT and SSDT if you have the G580 - 20157 with the exact same CPU. Otherwise you have to edit/create your own DSDT and SSDT using MaciASL and the patches from: http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master
The needed Patches are listed in G580-20157/Needed DSDT Patches.rtf)
After you’ve done all this, your CLOVER Directory should look like this:

View attachment 153595

STEP 2 - Installation:
Start your G580 and press F2 to get in the BIOS.
Use the Arrow-Keys to navigate to the right. Load the default Settings. Exit and save Changes.
Press F12 to choose your USB-Stick.
Boot into the OS X Installer. Be patient, it may take some Time for the Installer to load. (If it won't load, boot the Installer in verbose)
Use Disk Utility to format your HDD as GPT, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now Close Disk Utility and click on Install Mac OS X.
The Installer will copy the Systemfiles to your HDD and then restart the Computer.
Again press F12 and choose your USB-Stick.
Boot the OS X Installer again. The Installer will now automatically install the System on your HDD, and create a Recovery HD if possible (when you have Windows installed on the same HDD it won’t create a Recovery HD).
The Installer will restart the Computer again.
Once again press F12 and choose your USB-Stick.
This Time choose the Partition you Installed Mac OS X on (If it won't boot use verbose).

STEP 3 - Post-Installation:
After Configuring you Mac open Terminal and run the following command:
Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]diskutil list[/FONT]
Look for your EFI Partition. It should be disk0s1. If not change the next command to fit your EFI Partition and press enter, type your password and press enter again (You will need a password to use the sudo command)
Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 dev/rdisk0s1[/FONT]

Install Clover to your EFI Partition with the following Settings:
Install for UEFI booting only
Install Clover to ESP
Driver64UEFI > EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and PartitionDxe-64
Install Clover Preference Pane

Your EFI Partition will be mounted when Clover finished installing.
Open your EFI Partition, and do the same as in STEP 1:
Put all Kexts from G580-20157/Clover Files/kexts/10.11 in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ Directory, you don’t want any other Kexts in there, and replace the config.plist in EFI/CLOVER/ with the one from G580-20157/Clover Files/ (Additionally you can add my own Clover-Theme in the themes folder, just copy
simpledark from G580-20157/Clover Files/themes/ to EFI/CLOVER/themes/).
Go to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and paste the DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml from G580-20157/Clover Files/ACPI/patched/

(Only use my DSDT and SSDT if you have the G580-20157 with the exact same CPU. Otherwise you have to edit/create your own DSDT and SSDT using MaciASL and the patches from: http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master
The needed Patches are listed in G580-20157/Needed DSDT Patches.rtf).
Next install DummyHDA and CodecCommander in /S/L/Eusing a Kextinstaller of your own choice (I use Kext Wizard).

Last steps:
I recommend to rebuild the caches and repair permissions, you can do this with these commands in Terminal:

Code:
[FONT=arial]sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/[/FONT]
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

When done rebuilding your Cache, restart your G580. It will now boot completely on its own and everything should work :)

You now have a fully working G580-20157 (Except for Wifi and Bluetooth, depending on your configuration). :thumbup:

Done! :headbang:

P.S. If you have any questions I will try to answer them as good and fast as I can.

UPDATE 1:
Some Changes needed to get Sleep and Sound working again coming from Yosemite.
All Files updated to newest Version.

UPDATE 2:
Changed to XCPM (Kernel Power Management). Now reaching a few more P-States: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 12 19 22 26 27 28 29 30 32 ]
Updated the "G580-20157 El Capitan.zip" to now contain the new config.plist for XCPM.

UPDATE 3:
Updated the "G580-20157 El Capitan.zip" to contain a new version of the DummyHDA, with the needed Patch for 10.11.4

Greetings
-theandy
any update for 11.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back