Contribute
Register

[Guide] Catalina on Optiplex 9020 SFF w/ RX550

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
> Need full CPU model name > See Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name or version number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 20th Anniv. Mac
  3. 512K
  4. Apple
  5. Centris
  6. Classic
  7. Color Classic
  8. eMac
  9. iBook
  10. iMac
  11. LC
  12. Lisa
  13. Performa
  14. Plus
  15. Portable
  16. Power Mac
  17. PowerBook
  18. Quadra
  19. SE
  20. Workgroup Server
  21. XL
  22. Xserve
  23. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
This guide is for the Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF, with an RX550.
You can get it working with only the internal Intel HD graphics as well.

YOU MUST have a DVI (or DP) cable if you don't have a dedicated GPU. The Optiplex 9020 does NOT have an HDMI out, and VGA doesn't work.

System:
i5-4570 OR i7-5790
GPU: Intel HD4600, AMD RX550
Display: any display with DVI

Pre-requisites
Boot into BIOS (f2), load defaults, then go back and enable UEFI boot mode. For some reason, this is disabled by default.
You need to know how to already create a USB installer, and how to install Clover. This guide gives brief information, but it isn't really enough if you have just begun. You can read Rehabman's guides on this forum on how to do so or use the tonymacx86 UniBeast guide.

What works:
Wifi (m.2 to PCIe adapter DW1560)​
USB 2 & 3​
Internal speakers, headphone​
Microphone inputs​
Sleep & wake​

What doesn't work:
VGA outputs​
Rear line-out​
Serial/COM ports​
Video-in port​
PCIe bluetooth (if any)​

Steps
1. Create a MacOS installer USB
/Applciations/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

2. Install latest version of Clover to it, selecting UEFI mode and the following UEFI drivers.
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi​
AptioInputFix-64.efi​
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi​
DataHubDxe-64.efi​
FSInject-64.efi​
VBoxHfs-64.efi​
SMCHelper-64.efi​

3. Replace EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with the one provided.

4. Compile and place the ACPI files below into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched

5. Download the latest versions of each kext (listed below) from their websites or Github repositories. The most important ones are Lilu, WhateverGreen, USBInjectAll, and VirtualSMC/FakeSMC.
Place these kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

6. Boot the USB and install MacOS.

7. Once MacOS is installed, re-install Clover to the internal disk.
Copy over the EFI/CLOVER folder from the USB EFI to the internal disk EFI

ACPI / SSDT
ssdt-data.dsl - power management​
SSDT-EC.dsl - Fake EC​
SSDT-USBX.dsl - USB power​
SSDT-UIAC.dsl - USB ports​
SSDT-GPRW.dsl - wake from sleep issues​
SSDT-XOSI.dsl - OS check​
SSDT-IMEI.dsl - required​

Kexts
AirportBrcmFixup​
AppleALC​
BT4LEContiunityFixup - if you have bluetooth​
CPUFriend​
FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux​
FakeSMC (and accompanying kexts)​
HibernationFixup​
IntelMausiEthernet​
Lilu​
LiluFriend - optional​
USBInjectAll​
VoodooPS2​
WhateverGreen​

Explanations
I used FakeSMC, but you can use VirtualSMC instead. You'll also need to replace SMCHelper.efi with VirtualSMC.efi.
This device doesn't have an EC, so a fake EC (SSDT-EC) fixes it.
USB is the 8-series, so Muxing was required - that's why there's thee USB hubs.
The audio codec is ALC280, but you can't have both rear lineout and internal speakers at the same time; I've created a custom AppleALC layout, and pushed it to the main git with internal speaker, headphone, and mics working.

To get wifi working, you need to buy a PCIe network card adapter, and an appropriate broadcom chip with it. I used the DW1560, and a cheap adapter from eBay. You can also try buying a wifi USB dongle.
To get Bluetooth working, you need to buy a Broadcom Bluetooth USB dongle, or if the PCIe adapter has it, a USB internal pin to USB-A Male adapter.

The GPU is an OEM HP RX 550 (basically any other standard RX 550). I got it to work by faking it as the Sapphire RX 550. Any other supported GPU works too (such as an RX 580).

And that's that.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,339
  • SSDT-src.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Using a YESTON RX550. Boots with 10.14.6 and dual monitor.
Boot stalls half way through and is a bit slow... but in the end I am getting in... Sound only from internal speaker so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 23.13.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 23.13.08.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,514
Last edited:
Hello All!
So I already have a hackintosh up and running. I stumbled upon this because of the RX550. I have one lying around that I'm using in a light gaming rig (Gigabyte RX550 2GB). You mention faking yours as a Saphire RX550. I haven't tried anything at all with the RX550 and hackintosh. Though, I'd like to use it on my Hackintosh for when I upgrade my gaming rig.

What did you do to "fake" it as a Saphire brand? Should I just try to plug it in and boot and see what happens? I have a feeling there's going to be some preliminary steps to get it working. I'm very comfortable with all things PC so throw at me whatever you got ;)

Hello All!
So I already have a hackintosh up and running. I stumbled upon this because of the RX550. I have one lying around that I'm using in a light gaming rig (Gigabyte RX550 2GB). You mention faking yours as a Saphire RX550. I haven't tried anything at all with the RX550 and hackintosh. Though, I'd like to use it on my Hackintosh for when I upgrade my gaming rig.

What did you do to "fake" it as a Saphire brand? Should I just try to plug it in and boot and see what happens? I have a feeling there's going to be some preliminary steps to get it working. I'm very comfortable with all things PC so throw at me whatever you got ;)
I don't remember completely, but faking it as a Sapphire RX550 is done via adding device properties and Whatevergreen.
Check config.plist Device Properties/Add for a long device/pci path. The device property entry should have a model string mentioning "RX550", and a few other fields that should be self explanatory. Let me know if you need any help!

No idea what I did. With the original card (which was in the Optiplex... some ancient AMD card with 512 MB memory on it), the computer did not really run. With the internal HD4600 there was no joy either. Went to Amazon, got the card. plugged it in and it just started.

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 11.06.45.png
Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 11.06.21.png

This guide is for the Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF, with an RX550.
You can get it working with only the internal Intel HD graphics as well.

YOU MUST have a DVI (or DP) cable if you don't have a dedicated GPU. The Optiplex 9020 does NOT have an HDMI out, and VGA doesn't work.

System:
i5-4570 OR i7-5790
GPU: Intel HD4600, AMD RX550
Display: any display with DVI

Pre-requisites
Boot into BIOS (f2), load defaults, then go back and enable UEFI boot mode. For some reason, this is disabled by default.
You need to know how to already create a USB installer, and how to install Clover. This guide gives brief information, but it isn't really enough if you have just begun. You can read Rehabman's guides on this forum on how to do so or use the tonymacx86 UniBeast guide.

What works:
Wifi (m.2 to PCIe adapter DW1560)​
USB 2 & 3​
Internal speakers, headphone​
Microphone inputs​
Sleep & wake​

What doesn't work:
VGA outputs​
Rear line-out​
Serial/COM ports​
Video-in port​
PCIe bluetooth (if any)​

Steps
1. Create a MacOS installer USB
/Applciations/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

2. Install latest version of Clover to it, selecting UEFI mode and the following UEFI drivers.
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi​
AptioInputFix-64.efi​
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi​
DataHubDxe-64.efi​
FSInject-64.efi​
VBoxHfs-64.efi​
SMCHelper-64.efi​

3. Replace EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with the one provided.

4. Compile and place the ACPI files below into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched

5. Download the latest versions of each kext (listed below) from their websites or Github repositories. The most important ones are Lilu, WhateverGreen, USBInjectAll, and VirtualSMC/FakeSMC.
Place these kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

6. Boot the USB and install MacOS.

7. Once MacOS is installed, re-install Clover to the internal disk.
Copy over the EFI/CLOVER folder from the USB EFI to the internal disk EFI

ACPI / SSDT
ssdt-data.dsl - power management​
SSDT-EC.dsl - Fake EC​
SSDT-USBX.dsl - USB power​
SSDT-UIAC.dsl - USB ports​
SSDT-GPRW.dsl - wake from sleep issues​
SSDT-XOSI.dsl - OS check​
SSDT-IMEI.dsl - required​

Kexts
AirportBrcmFixup​
AppleALC​
BT4LEContiunityFixup - if you have bluetooth​
CPUFriend​
FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux​
FakeSMC (and accompanying kexts)​
HibernationFixup​
IntelMausiEthernet​
Lilu​
LiluFriend - optional​
USBInjectAll​
VoodooPS2​
WhateverGreen​

Explanations
I used FakeSMC, but you can use VirtualSMC instead. You'll also need to replace SMCHelper.efi with VirtualSMC.efi.
This device doesn't have an EC, so a fake EC (SSDT-EC) fixes it.
USB is the 8-series, so Muxing was required - that's why there's thee USB hubs.
The audio codec is ALC280, but you can't have both rear lineout and internal speakers at the same time; I've created a custom AppleALC layout, and pushed it to the main git with internal speaker, headphone, and mics working.

To get wifi working, you need to buy a PCIe network card adapter, and an appropriate broadcom chip with it. I used the DW1560, and a cheap adapter from eBay. You can also try buying a wifi USB dongle.
To get Bluetooth working, you need to buy a Broadcom Bluetooth USB dongle, or if the PCIe adapter has it, a USB internal pin to USB-A Male adapter.

The GPU is an OEM HP RX 550 (basically any other standard RX 550). I got it to work by faking it as the Sapphire RX 550. Any other supported GPU works too (such as an RX 580).

And that's that.
My hdml audio is not working in catalina.help me

My hdml audio is not working in catalina.help me
Sorry, I can't help you with just that. Provide specifics; what DGPU (if any), and ultimately please upload debug files. As far as I remember this device doesn't have any HDMI ports - only DP and VGA.

I use dp to hdml port catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back