Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
acidanthera has released new versions of the following kexts. I am running with these new kexts on my system and am not observing any difference in behavior (not surprising since the updates/fixes don't appear to be relevant to the components in the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini).
  • Lilu.kext 1.4.7
  • WhateverGreen.kext 1.4.2
  • AppleALC.kext 1.5.2

Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Centris
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Lisa
  7. Performa
  8. Plus
  9. Power Mac
  10. PowerBook
  11. Quadra
  12. SE
  13. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
I am offering NO support for Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth and am only posting this for others who may want to experiment on their own. Please don't clutter this thread with Intel Wi-Fi /Bluetooth support questions. However, if after testing, you have concrete/tested suggestions that improve Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth performance, your posts are welcome.
----------------------------------------------------
Initial tests of Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth look promising after being alerted to this solution here. If you want to test with the Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that is factory-installed in your HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, do the following:
  1. Enable Wi-Fi / Bluetooth device in BIOS
    1. Enable System Options -> M.2 WLAN / BT
    2. Enable Built-in Device Options -> M.2 USB / Bluetooth
  2. Add USB port HS14 to SSDT-UIAC.aml (used in conjunction with Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext). An updated SSDT-UIAC.aml is attached. Replace SSDT-UIAC.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched with this updated version.
  3. Install kexts from the links at this post as follows:
    1. If you are injecting 3rd-party kexts with CLOVER (FakeSMC.kext or VirtualSMC.kext is NOT in /Library/Extensions), add IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, IntelBluetoothInjector.kext and itlwm.ikext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (do NOT add itlwmx.kext).
    2. If you have installed FakeSMC.kext or VirtualSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions with CLOVER's "Inject Kexts" = DETECT, you must remove all 3rd-party kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, set CLOVER "Inject Kexts" = YES (not DETECT) and copy the following kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other: IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, IntelBluetoothInjector.kext and itlwm.ikext (do NOT add itlwmx.kext)
  4. Reboot and configure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Since I am running with 3rd-party kexts in /Library/Extensions, my kext configuration is as follows
  • CLOVER "Inject Kexts" = YES
  • Kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other: IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, IntelBluetoothInjector.kext, itlwm.ikext
  • Kexts in /Library/Extensions: AppleALC.kext, EFICheckDisabler.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC.kext, IntelMausi.kext, Lilu.kext, NVMeFix.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext

I have not thoroughly tested, but Intel Bluetooth/Wi-Fi looks promising. Attached are some screenshots. Bluetooth connected easily to my Bluetooth speaker. Wi-Fi appears as another Ethernet device.
-----------------------------------------------------
I am offering NO support for Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth and am only posting this for others who may want to experiment on their own. Please don't clutter this thread with Intel Wi-Fi /Bluetooth support questions. However, if after testing, you have concrete/tested suggestions that improve Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth performance, your posts are welcome.
The Intel Wifi project is getter better with every release but still does not support Airdrop, Handoff, iMessage etc. since it is not a real wifi solution but spoofing ethernet. I have success with several other M.2 wifi/bluetooth cards and my favorite is the Broadcom BCM94360NG. This works OTB with not extra kexts. The strange thing is that this works great in HP 800 G1 but not in newer versions like G2, G3 and G4. I have no idea why. Even in Windows 10 I get random reboots and crashes with this card. HP Support could not give me any answer why only original HP cards (Broadcom 1802.11.n) or any newer Intel cards work fine. This is no problem in other mini-PCs I have tested like Dell 7070 or Lenovo m700, m910q, m920.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
... my favorite is the Broadcom BCM94360NG. This works OTB with not extra kexts. The strange thing is that this works great in HP 800 G1 but not in newer versions like G2, G3 and G4.

I don't have personal experience with the BRCM card, but @Delek claims success with 800 G4 Mini here.

Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Centris
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Lisa
  7. Performa
  8. Plus
  9. Power Mac
  10. PowerBook
  11. Quadra
  12. SE
  13. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
It solve his problem 100% - i have BCM94360NG and all is working)
No one kext need for this card - all work native!
Hi @Delek I have tested the BCM94360NG in a HP 800 G2 but get random crashes, even in Windows. When I get it working I have very poor speed. I have a correct updated USB mapping and include a USBport.kext. Did you do any other config. to get this to work?

Note: I am using the Intel 9260 with the Intel_wifi kexts and wifi and Bluetooth are working but the speed is not very good.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @Delek I have tested the BCM94360NG in a HP 800 G2 but get random crashes, even in Windows. When I get it working I have very poor speed. I have a correct updated USB mapping and include a USBport.kext. Did you do any other config. to get this to work?

Note: I am using the Intel 9260 with the Intel_wifi kexts and wifi and Bluetooth are working but the speed is not very good.

Please discuss this in a thread for the HP 800 G2 and not in this thread. If you have the problem in Windows and macOS, then one item you should discuss is whether you are booting Windows with a boot loader that modifying ACPI for Windows. If you post your 800 G2 questions in your G2 thread, mention Delek's user name and he will get your notification.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630 + 560
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I have no problems and everything works by default. WiFi speed is good on UniFi AC Pro. Airdrop, Handoff, iMessage is working ok! I use iWatch to unblock OS(no need to enter password).
Check the connection of the antennas to the board - i had such problems with BL (low signal)

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have attached an updated EliteDesk800.zip archive to Post #1 in this thread. This update includes a new EFI for CLOVER r5122 (replaces driver AptioMemoryFix with OcQuirks and includes Quirks configuration in CLOVER config.plist), updates acidanthera kexts and restores graphics devices properties in the config.plist for the reasons here.

If you copy my config.plist from the EliteDesk800.zip archive, be sure to replace the XX-MASKED-XX values with your own (RTVariables:MLB, SMBIOS:BoardSerialNumber, SMBIOS:SerialNumber, SMBIOS:SmUUID, SystemParameters:CustomUUID).

When you install CLOVER r5122, use the CLOVER configuration in Post #1 of this thread.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have read a few posts in this and other threads that lead me to believe that some people are trying to multi-boot their hacks with ACPI that has been patched for macOS only. I added the message below to my Known Issues.

The patched ACPI files (EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) in the EliteDesk.zip archive attached to Post #1 are specific to macOS. They have not been patched for Windows or any other OS. If you are multi-booting your PC, using a boot loader to load nonMac OSes and your boot loader passes the patched ACPI to the booted OS, you may have problems with OSes other than macOS. Note that I am dual-booting my system with macOS and Windows, but my boot order defaults to macOS and I press F9 to boot Windows. I do not use a boot loader to boot Windows, so my patched ACPI does not need to support Windows (or any nonMac OS).

As a side note, if you are multi-booting macOS and other OSes with your boot loader and you have a mistake in your patched ACPI, the mistake may affect all of your booted OSes.

Last edited:
Motherboard
PC HP EliteDesk 800 G4
CPU
PC HP EliteDesk 800 G4
Graphics
PC HP EliteDesk 800 G4
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone get the microphone works?. My headphone have microphone but seem it doesnt work :(
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 10.57.50.png